Sunday, May 23, 2021

Sunday Snippet: A Fiery Yule (a Holiday Spirit short)

Had a family wedding this weekend and it ended up being terrific weather, kind of warm but the venue had air conditioning and it cooled off in the evening and the mosquitoes weren't awful.

Had another weird mix of a week. Got a lot of writing done and several new projects on the horizon I prepped for. Not a bad week for television either.

Started out with a new episode of Blue Heelers. Didn't quite finish it up yet, but I'm over halfway through.

Watched another episode of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I'm still enjoying this one. I'm a little on the fence with Zelda but I'm kind of invested in finding out what happened to Sabrina's parents. And Harvey's dad is a total ass.

Caught the second class on graphic design in the Master Class series I started. This one focused on typography and ended up being pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Started the Ready Room episodes for Picard. I enjoyed Wil Wheaton's mix of insider knowledge and uber-fan vibe. Looking forward to more of these.

Watched another Passionflix holiday Quickie. The Package ended up being another fun elevator setting. I'm a fan of being trapped with nowhere to go and having to deal with a bad day.

Caught another episode of Chicago Med. I'm really happy I'm finally able to watch this series from the beginning. A heartbreaker of an episode but happy at the end.

Watched the series two finale of No Offence. This ended up being a really terrific season. I'll look forward to starting series three this week.

Also started the first part of a Silent Witness two-parter. I vaguely remember this one and the next episode marks the end of series ten. We'll be getting into the seasons I've watched before.

Caught the final episode arc for season fifteen of Classic Who. Leela stayed behind on Gallifrey so I'm assuming there'll be a new companion when I start sixteen this week.

Started the second season of UFOs: The Lost Evidence. The first episode opened with a deep dive into Nazi secrets surrounding unidentified flying objects. I've seen quite a few of those clips on another program but it's interesting to see how different experts interpret things.

Watched two more episodes of The Muppet Show with Milton Berle and Rich Little as the guest stars. Lots of fun to have the comedians interact with the muppets.

Also started a new episode of The Hardy Boys. I had a long conversation with my brother about the show, which he recommended. I enjoy the intrigue and clues and I love how the brothers interact with each other and their friends.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from A Fiery Yule, a Holiday Spirit sexy short.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A holiday spirit, Spruce Lightfir, gives Enzo Escada, a fire demon, the perfect place to lay low over the Yule holiday. Enzo craves some time alone, away from the demanding overseer of Enzo's peerage. When Quinne Quailer, a mystic, arrives for a sabbatical from the human world, Enzo is cranky about the intrusion … until Quinne's presence calms his fiery inner soul. Maybe the miracle of Yule can free Enzo from his life of servitude.

And a preview snippet…

Enzo Escada delivered the scorching sentence to—damn, he didn't even remember the offender's name, only the level of damage required to mete out Lucien Darhk's justice. Once Enzo completed the task, he left the building and let the enforcers do their thing—which usually involved extracting new promises from those beholden to the overseer of the soul asylum. Enzo strolled down the street, choosing to walk back to the high-rise owned by Darkh Dominion, Lucien's corporate cover.

The entire skyscraper housed the unlucky minions employed and deployed by Darhk and his business interests. "And it's been my veritable prison for over two decades." Enzo entered the building devoid of feeling—except for the simmering rage that always lurked in his soul. "The instrument of my torture."

Especially now. Lucien always kept Enzo busy around any holiday, but Yule seemed to average a higher than normal volume of retribution. Enzo stepped into the elevator and hit the down button. He resided on the lowest sub-level by choice. The opposite and farthest away from Lucien's lofty penthouse at the top of the building.

When the doors opened, Enzo found Lucien waiting for him.

Enzo paused mid-step, not happy. "Why are you here?" He barely kept his hostility from his voice.

After the first decade of service, Lucien had promised to leave Enzo alone and not invade his sanctuary.

Enzo had grown to hate the overseer—who kept Enzo so busy he didn't have time to do much more than sleep to recharge.

Lucien gave him a tight smile. "Ah, yes. I've sullied your sacred space with my presence." He flicked his gaze from Enzo's feet to his shoulders. "But, as it's my building, I'll always reserve the right to come and go as I please."

Enzo lifted his chin. "As you wish." Keeping his tone civil with only the thinnest deference, he continued. "Is there something else you need from me?" He'd be hard-pressed to provide anything until he got some rest.

Lucien waved an envelope. "This arrived today. Apparently, I'm required to give you leave time if I want to keep my standing in the underworld." He sneered and slapped the envelope against Enzo's chest. "You've got through the dates listed here then I want you back here to carry on my work."

Enzo briefly scanned the invitation.

 

The time is nigh for solitary pleasure.

Come to Goodacre at your leisure.

Quiet and solitude to end the year.

Seek what you need to make things clear.

 

A range of dates were listed below the stanza along with instructions for how to arrive at the bed and breakfast.

Enzo shifted his attention to Lucien. "You're allowing me to go?" He hadn't been given a reprieve since he'd been roped into service for the overseer.

Lucien waved a hand. "I don't appear to have a choice." He smirked. "Besides, you'll be back. Not like you have anyplace else to go." He strolled down the corridor, leaving Enzo in stunned disbelief.

He read the card again. Solitude. How long had it been since he'd truly had nothing but himself for company?

Entering his suite, he snorted. "At least two decades." Yeah, he might live on the lowest sub-level now, but he didn't start there. Between the jobs Lucien sent Enzo out on, and the constant surveillance Darhk maintained, alone wouldn't be a good definition for any of Enzo's time. He quickly packed a bag and exited his home that never felt like one.

He didn't lock up—not really a need—but he did take a long hard look at the place he considered one step up from a prison cell. The time alone … he welcomed. No people, no jobs, no justice.

"Maybe the flaming pit inside me will calm and I can actually … rest."

Even if he'd only have a few days.

I have so much fun writing the Holiday Spirit shorts. Quinne and Enzo are both grumpy and Spruce is cranky yet they'll all be festive by the time Yule arrives.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment