Sunday, May 9, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Fancy Meeting You Here

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. We're having some unseasonably chilly and rainy weather but it's nice to have my youngest home for the weekend.

Had a weird mix of editing work and a bunch of stuff I needed to catch up on this week. I did manage to get some solid writing time in also, which makes me very happy. I finished up a manuscript I've been working on for a long time and got it ready for some beta readers! I also finished a sexy short and have it ready for some critique as well.

Not a bad week for television. I started a new to me show on Hulu with The Hardy Boys. The first episode had a lot going on but I enjoyed it. My brother highly recommended the series because he liked it a lot. We remember the original Hardy Boys from way back in the day so I'll go with his recommendation.

I started a Master Class series on graphic design. I'm not going to win any awards, but I have an interest in the topic and I like to know what goes into making things like book covers and media for marketing purposes. I have several more classes to watch and I'm looking forward to them.

Caught the second episode of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. So far, I'm still in. I like looking at the world through Sabrina's eyes and watching how everyone reacts with her. I'm split down the middle with the aunts and I love her cousin. Harvey and Sabrina's friends are fun also. The jury is out on the teacher. I have a bit of a hang up about the actress because she played a character I really didn't like on Doctor Who. That's not her fault, it's part of the Moffet era that I didn't enjoy.

Watched another episode of Peak Practice and it was a tough one, but I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing the next one even though Beth and Jack are kind of going through the wringer right now.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers. It's interesting to see how witness protection works in another country. I also love to see how the small-town heelers have a better grasp on how things work than the big city guys.

I finished the first season of Picard and, wow, I did not expect to be a sobbing mess. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. It took me some time to really get into the series, but I ended up getting pretty invested in the core group. I am left with a couple of questions, which isn't a bad thing. I'll look forward to seeing if those get answered in the second season.

Caught another episode of Chicago Med and it's part of a crossover event I remember watching. I'm ready for the next episode, hopefully this week.

Last but not least, I caught another Passionflix holiday Quickie with Just Say When. It was on the shorter side but didn't suffer for it. A nice little bit of angsty merriment.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Fancy Meeting You Here, a novella that features two characters on opposing sides trying to navigate a relationship.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Jonni Mars and Val Janison are enforcers for two opposing mage families and have a friendly rivalry. When Val, a member of the ruling house, shows up at Jonni's favorite underground dive, she's both infuriated and intrigued, and more than a little surprised to meet him under almost normal circumstances.

And a preview snippet…

Val crouched against the warehouse wall, listening carefully to the man inside. Philan belched orders into the phone. So far, he'd arranged a meet-up with the human trafficking arm of his empire and scheduled a shipment of drugs to move out in two days.

"He won't see the rewards from either venture."

Val's senses kicked in and he skimmed the side of the building, instincts on high alert. Someone else is here. Reaching the end of bricks, he stayed back, merged with the shadows. He's used a cloaking spell to remain out of sight, but he didn't add a noise dampening cue.

He waited until the person emerged from the darkness of the alley. Female, well-versed in fighting techniques based on her confident stride and wary countenance. She looks familiar.

She paused, her gaze scanning side to side then quietly ordered. "You might as well show yourself. I don't care how many of you assholes I have to go through to get inside." Her arms crossed in front of her waist and readied to withdraw weapons.

Val let go of his shadow mantle and appeared before her. No use hiding, especially if he didn't want to draw undue attention out here. And, dammit, where did he know her from.

She snorted. "Nice trick." Then she got a look at him. "Great balls. Fucking Janis clan royalty." She tilted her head. "No way you went black. Why are you here?" Her arms relaxed but her shoulders remained tense and rigid.

Ah, Jonni Mars. A Marsoni enforcer. Interesting.

But he didn't like her snotty tone, like he'd ruined her day. Then he remembered. Rochelle. Best friend. Shit.

Had they come for the same thing then?

He lifted his chin. "Probably the same reason you are." His mind spun with potential pros and cons.

She rocked back on her heels. "I doubt that." Her gaze landed anywhere but on him.

Liar. She'd come for the same purpose.

Val got up close and in her face. "You shouldn't. I'm calling bullshit here. You're here for the same reason I am … and I think we're going to help each other." A bold statement, but not a huge leap of logic.

She arched a brow. "Is that right? And what is it we're going to do?"

He held her gaze. "Put Philan down."

Her gaze went flat and she shook her head. "Screw that. There's no way."

I'm excited about this story, which has ended up being morphing into another book, and possibly a third.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment