Sunday, August 1, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Hot Target

So … I can't believe it's already August. I'm kind of not ready for the summer to be waning down and fall to gear up. Because once fall hits, the holidays are around the corner and I'm not quite ready for that yet. LOL

Had a decent week of watching television again. I finished up the last two episodes of Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries. They were set around the holidays but the Christmas one only hinted about the season. The finale took place on New Year's Eve and I loved it. LOVED IT!! Even Percy the Putz didn't annoy me overmuch. And Peregrine and James are kind of back on track and that makes me very happy. I'm very much looking forward to a third series and crossing my fingers that it happens.

Caught both episodes of Silent Witness's season twelve opener. I should have remembered these but I didn't. Enjoyed the cases and look forward to more. Twelve is a little longer than usual so there's that, too.

Finished up season seventeen of Classic Who and started season eighteen. I'd forgotten Four got a different scarf but rediscovered that fact in the first arc of eighteen. I like the first one the best.

Watched two more episodes of UFO Witness. These episodes feel a little staged but they're interesting. I'll finish out and see where it ends up.

Started season three of The Muppet Show and got four episodes watched. The guest stars were Rita Coolidge and Kris Kristofferson, Leo Sayer, Roy Clark, and Gilda Radner. I like the small changes to the opening and the show set-up. Looking forward to more.

Began a new documentary series with McCartney 3, 2, 1. I watched two episodes and loved both of them. I'm excited to see the rest because it's not focused only on the Beatles. It looks like we'll see a full scope of McCartney's music.

Caught two more Peak Practice episodes. So far, season four is pretty solid. I'll look forward to seeing the rest of the season.

Was able to catch two more Master Class lessons with LeVar Burton. He spoke about authentic storytelling and connecting with your audience. I got some good information from both lessons. I also enjoy listening to him speak; he's very eloquent without being stuffy.

Ended up watching two episodes of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I thoroughly loved the Doctor Cerebus episode and I'm going to keep all the scenarios in mind for later seasons. I have a feeling several easter eggs were dropped in that one. Not as much of a fan of the dark wedding episode. I absolutely loathe Blackwood and I'm hoping it's not going to become a case where my dislike of him ruins the show like it did with Hiram and Riverdale. I literally can't watch any scene he's in without hating it.

Watched two episodes of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Finished up the first season and started the second. Nice to see and learn a little more about Breen. This show is just quirky enough to really hold my interest. I got annoyed with one of the detectives in the finale, but I'll reserve judgment because I love her otherwise.

Caught the second episode of Star Trek: Discovery. It went in a direction I totally didn't expect but I'm down for being surprised. So far, I'm enjoying the show and look forward to a redemption arc for Michael.

Finished up season one of Chicago Med and truly enjoyed the finale. Colin Donnell continues to be amazing to watch. I loved him in Arrow and really enjoy him in Med. The opening episode of season two is very entertaining.

Loved Passionflix's season two episode of Driven. I'm thrilled there are two more eps to watch and another season to follow.

Last but not least, I got another episode of New Rugrats watched and I have to admit I love the new version. Definitely not the same as the classic version but the updates are spot on and fun to watch.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Hot Target, a novella where the characters have to snare a killer before they lose more of their friends.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Yates and Baylor work undercover for the mage council. They make a great team, but rarely see eye to eye. When their magical brethren start dropping like flies, one of them must become a hot target. Yates decides he'll do it … Baylor's a better shot.

And a preview snippet…

Baylor sat nursing a drink—she'd just made last call. Not that Deuce would kick her out. He'd keep pouring until she said stop.

"Good to have friends in low places."

Deuce slanted her a sideways glance. "I heard that."

She lifted her tumbler and gave him a mock toast.

Yates came in, flanked by Mills and Tango. At least the council gave them competent help. Not that she really wanted assistance, which kept her butt parked on the stool and her eyes straight ahead.

Yates jerked his thumb toward the rear hallway. "Backroom free?"

Deuce lifted his chin. "For as long you guys need it." He wiped down the bar and announced five minutes to close.

Baylor's gaze tracked the trio until they entered the dingy space Deuce used for storage—and who knew what else. Baylor stayed put. Her willingness to cooperate teetered on the brink.

Deuce tapped the bar in front of her. "Bay, get your ass in there and play nice." He lowered his voice. "They came to you. That's a point in your column."

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. I'll do my best." She got up and took her drink with her. "Don't wait up. We'll make sure to lock up when we leave."

Deuce snorted. "As if anyone would fuck with this place. I picked this spot for a reason." And he enforced his rule of law with big, meaty fists if necessary.

Baylor walked in to the backroom to face a wall of defeat, depicting the victims of Wiley's carnage. Yates had a makeshift planning center ready, using a white menu board that probably hadn't been used in a decade. Mills and Tango each had a spot by the doors, just in case.

Baylor dropped down on a leather sofa and kicked her feet out. She didn't speak, just waited for Yates to work the plan. She gave him credit—he didn't show an ounce of frustration with her. By now, she'd be pissed off if he pulled the lack of cooperation she used at the moment.

Tango and Mills offered up suggestions. Some good. Some not. They weren't heavy into research like she and Yates had to be.

Yates finally paused and gave her a level look. "What's your assessment of Wiley's habits. Would they have changed?"

Why the hell did it matter? He'd gone completely off book with his revenge plot. Then again, she didn't think Wiley would alter much, yet she hesitated to share her thoughts. Yates only blinked when she shrugged and opened the floor to Mills and Tango, who basically threw shit out until Baylor finally got up and cut them off.

"Look, you're all overthinking this now." She laid everything out. "Wiley struck hard and fast to get our attention. Now he'll probably toy with us a little. He wants me worried and off my game." She paced back and forth, sinking deep into Ledbetter's mindset. "I'll admit I'm getting into conjecture here, but I think Wiley will keep going after people close to me or who he associates with me and his dismissal from the apprentice program." She paused a moment. "Or … he'll come after me directly. He's not patient by nature." But her gut said Wiley would string things out a little more.

Tango grunted. "We need to give him a hot target."

Mills gave a nod. "Yeah, put someone out there he won't be able to resist."

Yates put the marker he'd been using down and lifted his hand. "That would be me."

Baylor went ape, stalking over and jabbing her finger into his shoulder. "No way." I'm not okay with him being in harm's way. "You're not going to play bait."

Yates cut off more protests. "By association, I already am." He held her gaze and all but dared her to argue.

She couldn't. Because, yeah, just by being with her he'd already be on Wiley's list.

Yates grabbed his jacket and shrugged into it. "Look, we've got a little time. Let's sleep on what we have so far and pick back up in the morning."

Baylor agreed—reluctantly. "Yeah, fine. Let's go." She followed Tango out through the bar and waited for Yates and Mills to lock up. Tango rode with her and stayed blessedly quiet on the way to the duplex she shared with Yates.

Good thing Tango had the good sense to leave her alone. I'm pissed off. Keyed up. And very unhappy.

And Yates would bear the brunt of that when he got home.

I'm having fun with this story. I love writing an established couple that has to face an obstacle. Baylor and Yates definitely have a big hurdle to get over.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment