Sunday, July 25, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Hot as Hades

Had a slower work week and got a good bit of cleaning and clearing done. I also got some solid viewing time in. I'm also somewhat stunned that August is just around the corner. This year is flying by.

I started my watch week with Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries and got two episodes finished. The first one did indeed have Percy the Putz involved in his usual shenanigans. The second one made my heart ache but I thoroughly enjoyed getting some background on Birdie. I'm loving the episode titles for the second season as much as I loved the first season's. Can't wait to finish season two up this week, which I think is probably doable.

Caught two episodes of Silent Witness. These finished out the eleventh season and I'm getting into the seasons I've definitely watched before. I'll be starting season twelve this week.

Enjoyed two arcs of Classic Who and I'm getting close to the end of the seventeenth season. Not sure how many more Four has but I'm excited to start Five's tenure soon.

Finished up UFOs: The Lost Evidence. I thoroughly enjoyed both seasons and got a few neat little plot bunnies from what I viewed.

Caught four episodes of The Muppet Show and finished out the second season. The guest stars were Bob Hope, Teresa Brewer, John Cleese, and Cloris Leachman. Looking forward to starting season three.

This was my week for finishing up seasons. I watched the last two episodes of The Hardy Boys and I'm so excited there's going to be a second season. I really enjoyed how everything played out and I'm so happy everyone got the ending they deserved. Also kind of thrilled there's a seed planted for more possibilities for the eye.

Watched two episodes of Peak Practice. The first one finished out the third season where everyone said good-bye to Beth and Jack. The second started season four with Will on the hot seat trying to save the practice. Glad to see Andrew sticking around for a bit and I kind of liked the new doctor.

I finished up the Master Class with David Carson. I enjoyed getting his insight to graphic design and learned some new things. I also started a new class with LeVar Burton on storytelling. I'm very excited to work through this series of classes.

Caught two episodes of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I'm loving how accepting the group is being about Theo and I'm kind of interested in how the academy stuff is playing out. I like Nick okay but I'm a little twitchy about his motives. Can't wait to find out if there's more going on there.

Enjoyed two more episodes of the Brokenwood Mysteries. I loved this show. The wine episode ended up being a great little mystery and the golf course episode was thoroughly enjoyable. I loved seeing the story play out on that one.

Started Star Trek: Discovery and have to admit I'm cautiously optimistic. I quite enjoyed the first episode. I'm looking forward to more.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med and have to say again I'm so glad I'm finally getting to watch this series from the beginning. I'm getting close to the end of the first season and I'm looking forward to season two.

Passionflix premiered season two of Driven and the first episode rocked. I loved the first actor that played Colton but the recast works very well. Looking forward to the next three episodes!

Started UFO Witness and liked the first episode. It's only a single season so I'll see where things go.

For nostalgia's sake, I started the new version of the Rugrats (heretofore referred to as New Rugrats). The original will always have a special place in my heart since all three of my kiddos loved the show. It had the rare ability to appeal to little ones and grown-ups with so many inside jokes. The new version is quite charming and I'm happy to say I think I'll enjoy it.

Last but not least, I started a new episode of Blue Heelers. It's a two-parter and looks to be kind of interesting with lots of bridges being burned and internal affairs out for blood.

Whew. That's if for television this week. Tonight's post is from Hot as Hades, a novella featuring the god of the underworld coming to the assist of an artist that needs a little help with a couple of nefarious guys.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Roxie St. Clair, an up and coming artist, wants to live and work on her own terms. But when the god of the underworld informs her of the underhanded tactics of her former employer, she decides to turn the tables and fight back.

And a preview snippet…

Roxie St. Clair burned hot.

Baking, boiling, dripping in sweat, hot.

She'd known using all four kilns at once would make her studio unbearable. She also figured it would make her attached loft warmer than usual.

But not sweltering.

She couldn't shut any of them down either. Too much rode on getting as many pieces completed as possible. She could kick herself for that last creative spurt she'd had.

But it would turn out as some of her best work.

Her very best ever.

The notion brought a smile to her face. She'd never lacked pride in her work—hand thrown pots and clay sculptures—but she did doubt ever making it a success.

Now, she had her chance and couldn't afford to blow it.

The lease on her lovely space would be up in six months and her upcoming show next week would make or break her. If she didn't score enough interest from distributors, she'd be out on the street.

With no choice but to go back to work for evil Edsel Montague.

Oh, how she hated that man. And his creepy, twisted, little day dreams involving the two of them in the throes of passion.

As if. Maybe at half past never she'd consider hooking up with her former employer.

Possibly her soon to be again employer.

Stop it, Rox.

She'd escaped his groping hands and graphic descriptions. Had been free for almost a year.

Best year of her life so far.

Blowing a wisp of hair out of her face, Roxie lifted the heavy length off her shoulder and twisted it up on top of her head. Using one of her carving tools to keep it in place, she instantly felt cooler.

And that, in turn, made her less anxious. She still had the six months to get everything in place to take over the lease from her anonymous benefactor.

Flopping down on the sofa, she kicked her feet up and said yet another silent thank you to the person who'd made it possible for her to pursue her dream.

She still had no idea who her savior might be, or how they'd known her deepest desire. Maybe they'd witnessed the constant harassment from evil Edsel and decided to grant her fondest wish—aside from murdering the pawing pervert—of living and working on her own terms.

Whatever the case, Roxie would be forever grateful. She enjoyed the freedom to create whatever came to mind and prayed she'd be able to continue.

Checking the time, she realized the first kiln would be shutting down in a few minutes. Time to brave the heat and go take a look. She couldn't wait to see how the latest batch turned out.

Roxie is so much fun to write. She doesn't know she's between a rock and a hard place, but she'll soon learn.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment