Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Shine One On

Well, the first week of 2023 is in the books and we're off to a wild start. Here's hoping the weird and bizarre world stage eventually settles in to what's supposed to be the Age of Aquarius. I have my fingers crossed.

Had a busy work week with multiple projects being added to my schedule. I'm excited to get started on them! The weather did it's usually mild temperatures dropping down to cold ones. I'm okay with the cold … if it stays cold.

Had an okay viewing week. I'm still continuing my rewatch of Batman: The Animated Series. I think I'll have it completed before HBOMax removes it from screening. Then I'll probably start back on my usual schedule.

I finished up the second season, which had a strong finish with "The Terrible Trio," "Showdown," "Catwalk," "A Bullet for Bullock," and "The Lion and the Unicorn," which is one of my favorites because it dives into Alfred's backstory.

Season three begins with "Holiday Knights," which is a favorite holiday-themed episode. I do wonder and can't remember if it ended up being shown out of order in the original run. I'm too lazy to check Imdb to find out.

I have some feelings about the drastic change in animation style for season three. There are a few things I really enjoy, but I'm not a fan of the reimagined villains or the complete total makeover they gave Bruce. I am fond of the updated storylines, moving Dick Grayson to Nightwing and adding Tim Drake. I left off on "Joker's Millions" and should finish that episode this week.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Shine One On, a novella set in an alternate universe with a noir flair.

Here's the mini-blurb:

In a prohibition era, Maxine Wynne provides speakeasy owner Drake Kestleman premium moonshine to keep his customers happy. When a corrupt revenuer goes after Maxine, Drake launches a plan to get her out of danger and out from under the shadow of the government bureaucrat.

And a preview snippet…

Maxine put the case of honey—her secret ingredient for the best-tasting moonshine—into her cart beside her bags. "Thanks, Lulu. The guys go through a ton of this stuff." And made a ready excuse for her to keep the amber syrup on hand to make the premium hooch.

On the way to the exit, she bumped into Saul Ludlow, best friend to her former husband and a nasty, corrupt revenuer.

He narrowed his eyes. "Maxine. Sure is a lot of honey." His gaze searched her other bags. "Whatdaya do with all that gloppy goop?" He rocked back on his heels giving a sly look.

She played a little coy because she felt frisky. "Gee, Saul. I run a boarding house. I wonder what goes good with the biscuits we have with every meal." She rolled her eyes.

Like she'd ever confirm the man's suspicions. Just because she made the stupid mistake of marrying Ashford, didn't mean she hadn't learned a hard lesson. Don't trust the assholes of the universe.

Saul didn't like the fact she ran a business and didn't need his assistance after Ashford died. He'd been all ready to swoop in and save her after the funeral. When Beau told Saul they'd bought the boarding house with Ashford's life insurance, Saul threw down the gauntlet. He'd been hounding Maxine ever since.

He jabbed a finger at her. "I know you're earning coin by illegal means." He spat the words at her. "No way your little boarding house keeps you in such svelte style." His gaze did a slow once-over, from the tips of her low-heeled pumps, up along her stockinged legs, to the princess neckline of her shirtwaist dress.

She pushed back at him. "You're welcome to sign a lease as soon as I have an opening…" She checked an imaginary watch on her wrist. "Which should be the day after never."

He sneered. "How many hours do you spend on your back, Maxine? You've got a large group of men living there." He folded his arms over his chest. "You probably charge a pretty penny to dive between your thighs."

A passing woman gasped and ducked her head before hurrying off. Saul snorted, unbothered by being rude and crude in public.

Maxine squared her shoulders. "I sleep with no one but myself. Sex is not a transaction at my place. Everyone pays for room and board and three square meals a day." At least her books showed income from those sources.

Saul huffed out a breath. "Who does the cooking? Ashford said you couldn't figure out how to work a stove to save your life. And you couldn't tell a pot from a skillet." He shook his head.

Maxine got up in Saul's face. "Kind of hard to cook when you're taking blows from the pots and pans." She stepped back. "Something else Ashford shared with you." She turned and exited the store, dragging her cart behind her.

Maxine can give as good as she gets but usually steers clear of Saul … she might wish she'd walked away sooner from their confrontation.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment