Sunday, January 29, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Slip of the Tongue

I had a jam-packed week of setting up a new PC and transferring files while trying to also stay on top of my work projects. In all honesty, I can't complain about the process. Of course, things went wrong because that's how it always goes. I didn't have the right cable to connect my monitor to the tower, but I found one in my stash of never-throw-away-this-type-of-thing pile of stuff I keep for that sole purpose. And once I figured out how to configure the network, transferring files has gone pretty smooth. I have a couple of final things to work out but I can take some time to do that stuff.

Didn't watch a lot of television because I needed to focus and my desk had several variations before I got the final layout figured out.

I did finish out season three of Batman: The Animated Series. I'm happy I got it done before the great wipeout from all existence. The episodes to complete the series were "Judgment Day," which I loved, "Beware the Creeper," which I also kind of enjoyed, and "Mad Love," which seems like a weird episode to end on because it's all about the Joker and Harley, but it's actually a terrific endcap for the series, because it's also about the role Batman plays in that relationship.

I also started a Battlestar Galactica rewatch with one of my best friends. We're doing weekly viewings and we've started with the miniseries. There were so many little things I'd forgotten and a lot of iconic stuff I definitely remembered. This show had such an impact on me and I'm kind of excited and terrified to travel on the journey again. LOL

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Slip of the Tongue a novella about two word alchemists that are tasked with protecting the premier of their district, which isn't an easy assignment because one has control issues and the other isn't quite what he seems.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Sylvie Brown and Holden Baker are word alchemists, creating the strongest, most intricate spells in their realm. One slip of the tongue can bring catastrophic destruction … or it can garner surprising results. Sylvie learns two little words can hold a wealth of meaning.

And a preview snippet…

 

Holden grabbed Sylvie, hauling her up. "I didn't do this." He had no idea who the hell did.

The premier nodded. "No, dear boy, I did." He glanced over his shoulder. "A simple summoning spell worked nicely." His lips twitched a little.

Boone glared. "Depends on who you ask. I don't take kindly to being yanked out of my district."

Sylvie stiffened. "But why? Why bring him here when we've worked so hard to keep him out." Her voice went hoarse on the word.

The premier squared his shoulders. "To settle this once and for all. If he wants a war, he'll be sorely disappointed. If I can pull him to me at my will, he can't hope to keep his power … not when word gets out."

Boone snarled. "I won't stop, old man. You caught me off guard once, it won't happen again." An angry glare accompanied the threat.

The premiere tsked. "I figured as much. And you're wrong…" He snapped his fingers and Boone changed into a large, gleaming crystal. "I caught you a second time, too." He reached down and picked up the purple facet.

Holden blinked then laughed. "I'll be damned. We should've thought of that." A rather genius solution to the Boone problem.

The premier glanced in Holden's direction. "Sometimes, the old ways are the best."

Holden flushed under the scrutiny. "About that, I can explain." Or he'd at least try.

The premier waved off the idea. "No need. But you do owe us recompense. I think finishing the job you began will do to start. Mr. Thargren won't be the last to try force, but we will be opening a dialog to find a peaceful solution." He turned his attention to Sylvie. "I'll be relying on you for assistance, my girl."

Her head bowed. "Yes, sir."

Holden stepped up. "If I can be of help, please count on me." He'd do whatever he could to move things toward a good outcome.

The premier held Holden's gaze for several long moments. "Won't be up to me." He glanced toward Sylvie then back to Holden. "Prove your worth, son." He stepped back inside his chambers and closed the door.

Holden's respect for the man grew by more than one notch. No wonder his grandpa liked Angus so much.

He turned and faced Sylvie. "I'll be ready, bright and early, to start on the reinforcements."

She nodded and started to walk away, her movements stiff and weary.

She got to the end of the corridor before she paused, looking back over her shoulder. "Thank you. For tonight." She didn't wait for a response, continuing away from him.

Holden watched her with a heavy heart. "I have a lot of ground to make up. And it's not gonna be easy."

Holden really stuck his foot in the mud and Sylvie won't be quick to forgive, but he'll do what the premier told him and prove his worth.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment