Monday, August 21, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Weapons of Mass Destruction

Had a very busy week with work projects and family stuff. I'm kind of exhausted but not in a bad way. My sleep schedule is somewhat all over the map and that doesn't help. Insomnia is a definite pain in the butt.

I had a pretty solid week of viewing television. I got another full round of shows in and might be adding one or two in the next week.

I picked back up with Suspects and enjoyed the episode. This show is a little chaotic and I like that. I also rather like the characters.

Caught another episode of Cannes Confidential and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have one episode left and I'm not ready for the season to end. I truly hope there's more to come from this show. It's so good!

Watched the penultimate episode of Peak Practice season nine. I'm bracing for impact for the finale. Then it's on to season ten!

Started a new two-parter of Silent Witness. Very interesting episode and I'm not sure where part two is going to go. This isn't a bad thing.

Enjoyed another episode of Death in Paradise. This is such a fun show even if there's always a murder to solve.

Caught another episode of Fantasy Island and, yep, my biggest pet peeve happened. Take a couple and tear them apart for stupid reasons. I'll finish out the season and see what happens, but I'm cranky now and that probably means I won't watch anything else if it has another season.

Started a rewatch of The Batman. I rather liked this series. I might also be able to finish my rewatch of Batman: The Animated Series. For whatever reason, it seems to be available again.

Watched another Classic Rugrats episode with two eps I'd forgotten about. Season five seems to have quite a few of those.

Missed watching Battlestar Galactica this week. My viewing partner had a family commitment and we're picking up again this week.

That's it for the life update. Tonight's post is from Weapons of Mass Destruction, a sexy short that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the miniblurb:

Bennie Sheehan and Sutton McBride are instructors at a mage academy. When they're trapped by a group of students pulling an elaborate lark—a yearly tradition—the former classmates reminisce about a favorite teacher and discover a mutual attraction for each other. The game then becomes whether they can act on their feelings before the group of academic tricksters undo their prank.

 

And a preview snippet…

 

Bennie Sheehan reached for another archive and opened the book. "I know there's a reference to the topic in one of these tomes." She occupied the large table in the center of the academy's library and had half the surface covered.

She used the index, running her finger along the side of the page. "Aha! Yes. I knew I'd find something." She snagged a bookmark and turned to the noted page. "Why did I agree to take over Carmody's advanced rune class after half term?" Because he'd planned a sabbatical and she had the lightest course load at the moment.

Right.

Because she'd only been back at the Bramblewood Academy for half a semester.

Setting the book aside, she checked over her list. She had everything she needed to get started after the mid-term break. "Hopefully, I won't have to bring everyone up to speed when I take over Carmody's class." The guy rarely stuck to his syllabus.

A noise in the upper stacks drew her attention and she glanced upward. The head librarian, Sutton McBride, guided a cart of books from the center of the left wing using spellwork to return the titles to their rightful place. He moved like a maestro conducting an elaborate symphony.

Bennie tilted her head to one side. "He's only improved in half a decade." They'd graduated from Bramblewood the same year but didn't have many classes together.

She'd had a huge crush on Sutton—like half their class—and always kind of regretted not being more social during her four years of study. If she had been, she might have had an opportunity to take a shot with him. Sutton participated in a slew of activities. The mage society, competitive spellcasters, the underground rune club, and the lock and key group.

Her lips curved. "I belonged to study sessions for one and spent ninety percent of my time crouched over my desk poring over my notes." Kind of like now.

She went back to her research, double-checking the resources she wanted to use. About halfway through the review, an odd feeling settled over her. It's too quiet.

The library usually had a buzz of muted tones and whispers. Right now, the space almost echoed with silence. No hum from groups huddled together discussing their latest projects or the slick sounds of pages being turned. Only utter stillness.

Bennie got up and did some quick recon. The windows on the first floor were shuttered, no light reflecting in from the streetlamps outside. The upper stacks didn't have moonlight filtering in through the large glass panes at either end of the library. A hard ball of dread settled in her stomach when she attempted to open the main doors and they didn't budge.

She tried the side entrances next and couldn't get through. The doors weren't locked, yet something, a spell or hex, held them in place. For thoroughness, she checked the window closest to her, but nope, it wouldn't move.

She put her hands on her hips. "Dammit. Locked in and trapped. What the hell is going on?" As soon as the words left her mouth, realization of the date kicked in. "Shit. Midterm break." She sighed.

Time for the annual biggest magick prank week of the year. Just for tricks and grins.

And I'm stuck in the middle of one. 

 

I'm having a lot of fun with this story. It's early days yet, but Bennie and Sutton are cool characters and a joy to write.

 

That's it for this week.

 

Cheers!

 

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment