Sunday, November 12, 2023

Sunday Snippet: All Roads Lead Home (Warlock's Curse novella)

November is continuing the crazy weather tradition. Warm a few days then frigid a few. The whiplash roller coaster is in full force. Please keep arms and legs inside during the ride and make sure you've got plenty of allergy meds and mucus relief tablets on hand.

Had a somewhat light work week and got to focus on writing, which is kind of great considering it's Nanowrimo month.

Also got some decent screen time this week. I didn't do a double rotation, but I did make a full run through of all my shows with a little overflow.

I caught two episodes of Agatha Raisin. Season two is a bit different with longer episodes and different titles. So far, I'm enjoying the fallout from the aborted wedding … and the mysteries of course.

Watched the second half of Silent Witness and started a new two-parter. I'm enjoying the kind of messy storylines. Considering this series has been around for twenty-three years, it's interesting to see how much it's changed from the beginning.

Enjoyed two episodes of Death in Paradise and finished out season three. Kind of nice to see Humphrey's wife and get an actual end to their relationship. Also great that neither really ended up being the bad guy.

Caught another episode of Only Murders in the Building. Loved how the trio finally got to work together … sort of. That might be the only thing that really sticks out as being a little off for me this season. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the mystery.

Enjoyed another episode of The Batman. I like seeing the villains kind of double up and then double cross each other.

Got another episode of Classic Rugrats in and remembered both vignettes. Thoroughly enjoyed both. It's so much fun going back to this show and thinking about watching when my kids were little.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from All Roads Lead Home, a Warlock's Curse offshoot novella.

Here's the miniblurb:

Sebastian North has a legacy to remake and he begins by searching for the one that got away, Hagan Culpepper. Hagan wants nothing to do with Sebastian. She's worked a long time to get past the hurt and damage he caused and doesn't believe he's embarked on a new path. Her return spells new possibilities and spins a few secrets she isn't quite ready to reveal.

And a preview snippet…

Sebastian North answered the door. "Nadia. Falk. Thanks for coming." He ushered them into the manor and nodded toward the beautifully appointed living room.

Nadia arched her brows. "We're not meeting in the study? You said this is an official get together." She took a spot on the sofa.

Falk made a slow walk around the perimeter of the room. "Yeah, I thought all pretentious assholes liked to loom over their guests from behind some huge monstrosity of a desk." He finally completed his circuit and settled beside Nadia.

Sebastian kept his gaze on Falk, mainly because Sebastian had no idea how to approach the topic he needed to discuss. "Yeah, well, I can't argue that point. And I'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable being a pretentious asshole … I mean I learned how to be one from the best there was." He referred to Nadia's dad Boris Manchen.

Nadia waved a hand. "That goes without saying. But you've moved past my sperm donor's machinations, right? Meaning you'll figure out how to not make mad grabs for power." She leaned back and kicked her feet up onto the ottoman.

Sebastian's chin jutted out. "Right. Exactly. Which kind of brings up the point of asking you two here…" He inhaled slowly and let the breath out with the same measured pace.

Falk grunted. "Just spit it out, man. The longer it takes you to say what you need the harder it's going to be." He slumped down and crossed his ankle over his knee.

Sebastian almost laughed. The possibility of Falk smashing Sebastian's face in increased whether he spoke or not. Because Sebastian had a big ask and Falk wouldn't like the request one damned bit. But Sebastian needed to right his wrongs if he ever wanted to remake Boris's legacy.

And that meant Sebastian needed Falk's help.

Leaning forward, he pinned Falk with a hard stare. "You won't like this, but I need your help." He didn't give Falk a chance to replay. "I have to find Hagan, and you're the only one who can put me on the right path to do so." There … he'd spit it out.

Falk blinked. "You want me to lead you to my sister?" His head jerked back and forth. "Fuck, no."

I love, love, love this series and I hope I can get it ready to go and out into the world in the near future.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment