Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Beast in the Belfry

Entering thankful week with so much to think about and be grateful for. There's a lot going on in life right now and some of it's not great. But … there's also so much that's good and I always try to focus on the good stuff. I spent way too many years as a glass half empty girl. The stress of that did not do me any favors.

I got to edit an amazing holiday story, which I didn't expect and I'm so happy I got the project. It's from one of my favorite authors too!

My husband started a new job that he can do during his off season from the golf course, which is an amazing opportunity.

I got to watch a play my daughter did the entire lighting setup for, and I'm so glad I got to go and see what she's accomplished with her theater major. I already get to hear her radio show for her media production major. She has a semester left and I can't wait to see the amazing things she does with her future.

Had a pretty decent week of television viewing. I managed a full round of my current slate of shows, minus the Battlestar Galactica rewatch. Hoping to pick it back up this week.

Started out with the first half of a two-part Silent Witness. Kind of an interesting case mixed in with the personal aspect for the characters.

Caught another Death in Paradise. This is an episode I got to see part of before and it's nice to have the full context of everything that happened.

Loved the episode of Only Murders in the Building. So awesome to see Theo again. I love his friendship with Mabel. I'm kind of hoping the trio is back together by the next episode, but it's fun to see Mabel interact with other people. Going to miss seeing her in her aunt's apartment though.

Watched another episode of The Batman. This one introduced the Riddler. I'd forgotten how much teamwork between Yin and Batman was in this one.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Rugrats. I kind of remembered both and liked being able to sort of rewatch and still be a little surprised.

Caught an episode of VIP. This one ended up being a lot of fun and had some terrific character moments.

Watched an episode of My Life Is Murder. Nice to see Alexa kind of joining in and participating in a celebration. Here's hoping we get more of that in later episodes.

Also got another episode of Agatha Raisin in. This ended the second series and had so many great moments. I'm excited to see what season three brings.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Beast in the Belfry, a novella that has a bit of a supernatural twist.

Here's the miniblurb:

A curse leaves artist Vittoria Blahm disfigured and marred for life. But Cal Gilligan sees the true woman under the scars, and he falls hard for her when she saves him from plunging to his death. Vittoria can't quite believe anyone wants her and fears risking her heart to the possibility.

And a preview snippet…

Cal gazed out on the expanse of buildings on campus—an unshakable feeling of home settling over him. He swung a leg over the open window and settled on the sill. A sound caught his attention and he turned, taking in easels and paints, the couch, bed, and kitchenette. Shit! Does someone live here?

A wild-haired, screeching person flew out of the shadows, their hands raised for attack. Startled, Cal gasped when its—no, her—face came into view.

"Get out! Get out!" She grabbed his arm, tugging hard. "Leave. Now!" Fear filled her gaze but also anger.

Cal tried to duck out of the way, but in his haste he tottered sideways and went crashing through the open window. He skidded along the tiled roof, scrabbling to hold on. A firm grip on his wrist kept him from sliding—thank the universe—and gave him time to pull himself back up and into the tower. The woman scrambled away, cowering against the wall.

Cal stepped forward but didn't invade her personal space. "Thank you. You pretty much saved me from a horrible death." How he spoke calmly when his heart thundered, he'd never know.

She flicked her gaze to him but quickly glanced away. "You need to leave. This is my home." Her hands balled into fists.

Cal apologized. "I'm sorry. I didn't know." Something about her called to him.

The mission work his parents did exposed him to distraught, damaged people. This woman had deep-running scars on the inside. Probably more painful than the ones marring her face.

He slowly stuck out his hand, palm up. "Cal Gilligan. U of M is my alma mater, but I've been gone for several years." When she didn't respond, he continued. "I didn't mean to invade your space. I just accepted a position in the literature department, and I used to come here all the time, especially during my final year." Silence. "Anyway, please accept my apology again. I'll leave now." He tucked his hand inside his pocket and crossed the floor, heading for the steps but stopped short when he passed the painting. "My God. This is incredible." He shot her a look. "Did you paint this?"

I have so much love for this story. Cal is just the right guy to bring Vittoria out of her self-imposed prison. I can't wait to finish this one!


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment