Sunday, December 16, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Led Astray

Well… I appear to be almost over the cold from hell. The scratchy throat from last week lasted about three days and then it all went to my chest. Those mucus busting tablets work wonders for clearing out the crud and getting lots of sleep helped a ton. I think I'm on the road to recovery, so yay!

I'm still behind on my regular viewing shows but I did catch the episode "The Icicle Cometh" on The Flash. Actually quite enjoyed that one.

Caught another episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles. My Crackle app started misbehaving and I finally got it back to usable form. I'm about halfway through the second season now.

I have one episode left of series thirteen of Midsomer Murders. Looking forward to starting the next one. Also caught episode nine of Babylon 5. I'd forgotten how truly remarkable the first season of B5 ended up being.

Watched another episode of Birds of Prey. I think I have five left. That show was a little ahead of its time. If they shot it now, it would probably be well-received. Also started a rewatch of Roswell. If the new reboot gets picked up, I want to have the memory of the original in my mind. Not sure they'll be able to pull off a decent new show.

Caught episodes of Pensacola Wings of Gold and Lexx. I've discovered I'm not as fond of Lexx on my rewatch. The episodes are very hit and miss.

Caught a few more episodes of Classic Who and started the fifth episode of Doctor Who's new season.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Led Astray, a novella that started with a two-word prompt of "just drive". I had a scene play out in my head and the story came together from there.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Gia Schmidt is tasked with bringing Orrick Triolo around to her clan's way of thinking, but he proves a hard case to crack, even with her considerable skills. Orrick's got something she wants but if she's not careful, he'll lead her astray instead of the other way around.

And a preview snippet…

Gia rolled to a stop at the end of the rutted lane leading to the caves. She killed the engine and waited. Orrick had the upper hand and even though staying quiet killed her, she kept her mouth shut.
Orrick popped the door open and got out, heading for the entrance of the caves, obscured by lots of overgrowth. He used his ability to clear the tangle of vines and underbrush. With a brief, hard look over his shoulder, he entered the cavernous space.
Gia blew out a long, slow breath. "This should be loads of fun." She got out but didn't follow Orrick inside.
She'd played his way up to this point. Now he could either meet her halfway or find his way home alone. Orrick reached out and grabbed her arm, tugging her forward. Gia dug her heels into the gravel-covered ground.
She held up her free hand. "No way, Orrick. I'm not going inside until we get a few things straight." Like being a dick wouldn't get him anywhere.
His fingers dug into her bicep. "And we won't get anything hashed out until you're inside." Stalemate meet standoff.
She winced and he loosened his grip enough for her to jerk away. "You said no stunts and I'll abide by that rule, but I want the same assurances, dammit." Like there wouldn't be a shit ton of Triolos waiting inside for her.
Orrick's gaze went dark and stormy. "Considering what you've already done, that's a tough road to go down." He all but snarled the words.
Gia growled her frustration. "I didn't do anything." Not that it mattered; she couldn't control what her idiot grandfather did.
Orrick held up a hand. "Not another word until you're inside. I mean it; you're going to have to trust me." His stony gaze gave nothing away.
Gia wanted to argue so badly… but the need to explain what actually happened ruled out.
Fuck it. One of them had to give an inch.
Lifting her chin, she bit the bullet. "Fine."
She crossed the threshold into the cave and the world went dark.

Orrick won't let Gia lead him astray and the caves offer the best chance for them to work out a strategy to thwart their families' agendas.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment