Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Melee

Brrrr. The past week ended up being a wild ride of crappy weather and really cold temperatures. Of course, we're warming up for a few days then back to the icy tundra again. I predict lots of colds and other nasty viral illnesses in the near future. Bleh.

It was a good week to stay in and watch television. I finished a 77 Sunset Strip marathon binge watch. I love the classic show, even the last season that only had Bailey as the detective. Completely different tone but good episodes.

Caught another episode of Pensacola Wings of Gold. Kind of fun to have them in a different location. Also watched an episode of Lexx. This is one I didn't remember seeing the first time around. Nice to have something unexpected.

Started the fifth season of Endeavor. I love this show. I'm kind of looking forward to maybe doing an entire start-to-finish watch of Inspector Frost once the Endeavor series concludes. I can follow it up with Lewis. Started episode two of season fourteen of Midsomer Murders. I'm quite enjoying the new Barnaby and somewhat different tone of the show.

Finally got to watch the fifth season premiere of Gotham. The app on my streaming device was being contrary and kept stopping before the opening credits even rolled. Played the stupid ads though. Loved the opening episode. Between this show and Riverdale, the batshit crazy can't be topped. Just saying.

I caught some more Classic Who, finishing up the space museum episodes and starting on the next Dalek arc. Also binge watched a day of Mod Squad.

That's it for television. A little lighter than I originally thought. Tonight's post is from Melee, a novella that started with a two-word prompt of "forget this".

Here's the mini-blurb:

Josie Walls and Parson Parrington gain extraordinary skills when they're captured and experimented on in a remote laboratory in an icy tundra. Longing to be free, they put their newfound abilities to the test, escaping their prison and going on the run.

And a preview snippet…

"Psst. Hey. Hey, you. Raven chick. Wake up."
Josie Walls fought through the fog in her brain to address the persistent voice to her left. "The name's not Raven and I'm not asleep." Drugged to the nth degree, yes.
Definitely not asleep.
The voice, deep and smooth but with a bit of a rasp between breaths, spoke again. "Do you know where we are? Or how we got here?" Struggling sounds echoed in the space. "Or what the hell is going on?"
Josie blinked and tried to sit up. Fuck. She couldn't move either. Restraints around her wrists and feet and—if she didn't miss her guess her midsection—held her immobile.
She growled. "No. No. And no. Absolutely clueless over here." At least the fuzziness in her mind started to clear. "You can't move either?" The rattling of metal on metal answered.
Shit. What the hell happened? The last she remembered… being at Zero Chill, the new club on the boulevard. Out of her league on a good day, she'd gone to blow off steam and max out her ex's credit card. Damn, I looked kick-ass in that slinky red dress.
"Hey. Hey… did you zone out on me?" The voice broke through her memory.
Josie shook her head… or tried to. A band of something foamy held it in place, too.
She cleared her throat. "No. Trying to piece the how and what together. Head hurts and everything is fuzzy and distorted." Like a bad experience with booze or drugs.
The guy snorted. "Yeah and not in a good way. This blows ass." He struggled again. "Name's Parson. Last thing I remember is getting out of a limo with a group of friends at Zero Chill."
Josie jerked in response to the name of the club. "That's where I was." Why couldn't she remember leaving?
Parson cut into her musing again. "That's something at least." He waited a beat. "Can I know your name?" Waited another. "Aw, hell. Do you remember it?"
She smiled, which made her face ache, something she'd have to ponder later. "I remember. I'm Josie." Angling her head as much as the restraints would allow, she got her first glimpse of Parson.
Whoo, boy. Covered from shoulder to toe in a clear, gauzy fabric, he took up most of the neighboring table. The material left little to the imagination. The man's primo physique displayed nicely. What the hell, Josie? Figure shit out now… ogle later.
"Wish I could say it's nice to meet you, Josie, but I'd rather know what the hell is going on instead."
She almost chuckled. But she couldn't. Unease slithered its way through her when she cast a glance around their location. Stark white walls, lots of stainless steel, and terrifying-looking equipment met her gaze.
She made a stab a keeping the rising fear at bay. "Uh, Parson, something tells me we're not in Zero Chill anymore." Hell, it didn't look like they were in the US anymore. The language on the piece of machinery looked foreign.
He made a garbled choking sound. "Yeah, I got that." He struggled against the bindings again. "I'd like someone to tell me what the fuck is going on."
A bright light snapped on overhead and a booming voice supplied an answer. "All in due time, my captive subjects. Until then… enjoy the solitude while you can." A rumble of something resembling a laugh followed.
Josie closed her eyes, the full extent of her dilemma seeping into her. "Son of a bitch. Hollis Mayweather."
Her stupid, lowdown, good for nothing ex.

This one is taking some turns I didn't expect but I love it. I'm at the point where a long brainstorming session needs to happen so I can flesh out all the story beats.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment