Sunday, January 27, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Maybe This Seems Familiar

We're still in the grips of cold and snow. Not a ton of accumulation but the temperatures? Ugh… it's cold. We had a full day of single-digit weather this past week. The local school system had Monday and Tuesday off for the Columbus Day holiday and a staff training day, then had the rest of the week off due to icy roads. Fun times.

Light week in television again. I finished up episode two of the second season of Penny Dreadful. Also watched the season finale of Wynonna Earp. Man… this show. It's so, so good.

Caught another episode of Painkiller Jane and watched an episode of Underbelly Razor. Also caught some Babylon 5 and The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

I'm finally catching up on Arrow and "The Demon" did not disappoint. I wondered what happened to Talia and it's probably good she survived the island. I also watched an episode of Blade the series.

I had some binge marathons of some classic television with The Saint and 77 Sunset Strip. I love both shows and it's nice to have them on in the background when I'm working.

That's about it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Maybe This Seems Familiar, a novella that started with a two-word prompt of "step back".

Here's the mini-blurb:

A tragic death sends Inyx Pic, an Adept Major, into a brittle shell of self-doubt. When Philo Batson, her Adept Master, pushes Inyx to get back to teaching, her armor of disillusionment cracks and anger and grief come pouring out, leaving Philo to handle the fallout.

And a preview snippet…

Philo crossed the bedroom to gaze through the window. "The sun's trying to come out but it'll stay gray all day." Fitting, all things considered.
He needed to fully extricate himself from Fillomena, cut ties and be done with the attempt to have a life that didn't include Inyx. If last night showed him anything it plainly laid out the fact he loved her, enough to be patient and let her find her way to him.
Inyx sighed. "You're leaving, aren't you?" She slid to the edge of the mattress and sat with her legs dangling from the side.
He turned and met her gaze. "For a while, yes. A clean break with Fillomena needs to be handled and I want to do it today." He should've listened to Inyx about the other woman's machinations.
Inyx shook her head. "For what it's worth. I'm sorry." She got up and scrubbed a hand over her face. "If you hadn't been distracted by my drama, you would've seen Fillomena for the manipulator she is." Sighing, Inyx came to stand beside him.
Philo shrugged. "I'm just glad someone other than you pointed out how lame Philo and Fillomena sound together." His lips twitched and he tamped down a chuckle.
Inyx blinked then snorted. Then she surprised the hell out him by barking out full-blown laugh. She grabbed his arm, almost doubled over with mirth.
If he accomplished nothing else today, he'd be happy.
Almost.
He needed one more thing from Inyx.
And she wouldn't like it.
He'd let her have a few more moments of glee. "I know. I can't believe you didn't hit on the name thing straight away." Inyx usually found the absurd before anyone else.
She hand-waved his comment. "Me too. I'll have to blame my lack of notice on everything else going on right now." She sobered but the haunted shadows didn't enter her gaze.
Philo took his chance. "Speaking of everything going on…" How did he word what he needed to say? "There's a whole class that still needs training, will you at least take another look?" He caught her before she could turn away. "If there's anyone you have true concerns about, we'll hold them until the next class comes through. Maybe add a new level for those who have ability but lack the aptitude to really keep up?" The idea took shape as he spoke and he glanced to see her reaction.
Better than he expected. Interest and consideration entered her gaze and she slowly nodded, turning the concept over in her mind. He'd take the small win. Now for the bigger battle.
He opened his mouth to plead a case but she stopped him by raising her hand.
Heaving a sigh, she inclined her chin. "Okay. I'll look at the class files again. But I won't promise anything more than that right now." She paused a moment. "But the idea of adding a new level has merit and I'll keep that in mind when I'm reviewing."
Philo nodded. "It's a solid compromise and a place to start." He exhaled slowly, gearing up for a not so pleasant task. "I'm going to take off and track Fillomena down but I'll stop by this afternoon if you plan to be here."
Inyx gave him a quick smile. "I've got twenty-five folders to read through. I won't be going anywhere anytime soon." She followed him from her room to the front door.
He paused before he turned the knob. "If you need anything—"
She cut in. "I'll let you know. I'll be fine, Philo. And I'll see you later this afternoon."
He gave a brief nod then exited, shivering a little in the brisk morning air. First stop, home, for a hot shower and some warmer clothes. The earlier hint of sun now fully hid behind gloomy clouds.

I'm not quite sure where this one will end up but I'm really pleased with how it's going so far.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment