Sunday, January 20, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Manifest Legend

Whoo boy… winter arrived with an icy drizzle followed by some major snow. I'm very glad I have no place I need to be that involves travel. Ugh.

Another slower week for television. I had a project that needed some solid focus and I used music as my background noise for less distraction. Oddly enough, it was a New Year's Eve playlist. LOL I also had some outside things going on; lunch with my daughter and cousin and a lengthy concussion assessment for my middle kid. Okay, he's not really a kid anymore since he just turned twenty, but he needed to have someone with him while they did the tests and I'm glad I was there. Turns out he's probably had a concussion for at least a couple of years. Epic fail on my parental duties there.

I did catch the finale of Strike Back. Kind of liked the way it ended but I'm used to a little more closure. I'm definitely looking forward to the new season in the next week or so.

Watched an episode of Chicago Fire and—thank whatever rules the universe—the stupid deputy commissioner appears to be out. Who knows for how long, but man, I hate that storyline. Also saddened that Severied lost his dad. Really thrilled Benny came through in the end though.

Caught an episode of Luke Cage. Actually kind of liked watching several relationships implode. Almost to the end of the season then, sadly, won't have any new to look forward to. I'm so excited for Punisher's second season but I'm hitting up Iron Fist and Dare Devil first.

I watched some behind the scenes stuff from Passionflix. If you're not a subscriber, check it out if you love books made into movies. Had time to finish up the web planet arc of Classic Who also.

I finished out the week with an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. This show continues to make me happy and hasn't fallen back on repeating storylines yet. After twelve years. That's amazing.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Manifest Legend, a short story free read that helps set up the Sanctuary Island stories.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Insula Ara is a mystical island offering sanctuary to those in need, but when she reveals herself for the first time, Cedric Edward Teasdale, former crewman of a privateer, almost blows his chance for refuge… and a reunion with his lost love.

And a preview snippet…

Ceet rose and strolled down the path to the shoreline. He looked out at the inlet and said a sad farewell to his former mates. They were a good crew and he'd miss them.
A quiet hush fell, all around him, and Ceet shifted his eyes around slowly. An eerie feeling trickled down his spine and he jumped when a loud crack reverberated and a deafening roar burst through the skies. Thunder boomed and lightning danced all around him. Even the trees seemed to scream their fury.
Ceet threw up his arms, fists punching toward the sky. "Now just you calm down! I ain't a going anywhere." He shouted, raising his voice as loud as he could. "We had a deal and I aim to keep my end. Now, stop this nonsense!"
He flung his arms down and the noise ceased. Peace and quiet returned.
"Just like a woman, it is."
Ceet ambled over to the encampment area and built up a fire. Nightfall would come on soon. He'd have to start thinking about building permanent shelter right away.
His eyes scanned the coastline then he turned and looked at the dense foliage behind him. Dusk settled around the island, he wouldn't make much headway tonight. He gathered up the foodstuffs left behind and set about making dinner.
After eating, he secured his camp—more out of habit than concern for safety. He strung a hammock and started to climb onto it when a winking glint caught his eye. Over by a small outcropping of rocks there looked to be something bobbing up and down in the water.
He'd check it in the morning. The day had been long and his body and mind needed rest. Ceet crossed his ankles and lay back in the canvas bed. His eyes closed and he waited for sleep to claim him.
The nocturnal rest eluded him. Even with his eyes shut the blinking was noticeable. It reflected off the large leaves of the trees above him.
With a heavy sigh, Ceet rolled out of the hammock, lit a lantern and made his way toward the group of rocks. Might as well discover whatever the island wanted him to find. And Ceet knew it was Sanctuary that made the flashing brighter when he tried to sleep.
Getting closer, he realized he'd have to wade into the surf to actually retrieve the object. "You jest couldn't let me get me rest, could ye?" The water was still on the warm side when he went in.
It was also up to his chest by the time he got to the spot. Lantern held high, he checked for creatures before sticking his hand inside the group of rocks. Feeling around he found what the island had for him and pulled the object out to get a better look.
A compass.
Ceet harrumphed. "I've got one of these. I don't need another one, do I?" The device grew warm in his hand. Ceet turned it over and tried to find the source of the heat.

I'm having a lot of fun working in Ceet's backstory with the mystic island of Sanctuary.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment