Sunday, January 6, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Loss

January 6, 2019

Welcome 2019! I can honestly say it's been a weird week. The whole having the new year start on the second day of the week throws me off. Even more so than if it started on Wednesday. I have no idea why, but there it is. LOL

I started some new shows this past week. Caught the first episode of Blade and I'm looking forward to actually watching this show in the correct order. If CW Seed doesn't pull it. I didn't get to finish Birds of Prey and it irritates me.

Also watched part of the second episode of Roswell but I'll be switching to Netflix for this one or maybe another streaming service. DustX only has it available as a marathon and, frankly, it's too much of a giant pain to fast forward until I get to the episode I need.

Also watched another episode of Pensacola Wings of Gold and Lexx before the end of last year. I'd forgotten the prison ship episode and end up enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Caught the next to last episode of Strike Back season five. So thrilled to see familiar faces and experience the passing of the torch, so to speak. Looks like those familiar faces are in the last episode, too. I'm also super excited for the new season with Jamie Bamber taking over the CO. I can't wait!

I watched the last episode of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and truly wish there had been another season. I fell in love with the characters. I'm rather glad it didn't end on a massive cliffhanger, only hinting at what the characters might face in a new season.

Caught another episode of Luke Cage and loved having Danny turn up. Nice to have another mention of Claire too. I'm actually thrilled with Missy's arc and I'm kind of disappointed we won't see more of her development after this season ends.

Chicago Fire disappointed the hell out of me by having the stupid deputy commissioner back again. Not sure why the conflict irritates me, but it's the same thing that happened with Chicago PD. I think it's because it feels forced and not something that happened organically even though both antagonists were introduced well before they became the actual pains in the ass they are. Eh… whatever.

I watched the Passionflix holiday Quickie Caught Up In You; obviously after the actual holiday. Such a sweet little tale! More of these please!

Murdoch Mysteries had a terrific episode but I'm honestly still trying to figure out what the hell happened in the last one. LOL

Watched several episodes of Classic Who. I'm still on the web planet arc and it's kind of a fun run. Also started Doctor Who's "Demons of the Punjab" but still need to finish that one. Also can't wait to see the New Year's special.

Started season two of Penny Dreadful and, wow, Vanessa is a true magnet for all things evil, no? I'm very interested in Ethan's story and not so much in Frankenstein's. I'm honestly kind of pissed off with his actions lately.

Caught most of Wynonna Earp's second to last episode of the season. I had a sneaking suspicion Charlie would end up being something other than a cool new dude. And this show loves taking crazy twisty turns and Charlie's real identity is definitely a solid effing twist. LOL

Started a rewatch of Painkiller Jane but didn't have time to finish the first episode. I rather like this show when it originally aired and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Loss, a novella that started as an exercise in writing grief but turned into a story I wanted to show.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Welsh Hollingsworth is the golden child of Clan Grimstone, but when he's expected to fill the void left when his dad dies, he can't quite figure out how and he hopes Cagney Gaines can help him find some insight. Cagney can't deal with the loss of her mentor, the one constant in her chaotic world and she leaves when Welsh needs her the most. One year later, she returns to find a very different Welsh—one who doesn't welcome her with open arms.

And a preview snippet…

Cagney pulled the zipper on her single suitcase. "Travel light and fast." Wallace taught them to take only the essentials and find everything else they'd need in the field.
Except I'm not going in the field.
Where she'd up would be anyone's guess. But she couldn't stay here. Losing Wallace left her rudderless and unfocused. Vengeance filled her heart and mind and she had no room for anyone or anything else.
Including Welsh.
Her heart squeezed but her resolve remained. "I can't right now. He needs a strong number two and I'm not it." Welsh needed to lead the clan and finish Bainbridge.
Crossing the room she'd lived in since the age of five, she gazed out the window. The pyre continued to grow. The clansmen added logs in carefully placed bundles, with Welsh directing the flow, stopping to answer questions about the mix of hard and soft woods.
She placed her palm on the glass. "I'll miss you most, Welsh." After Wallace, Welsh lined up next as her most cherished relationship.
And I'm gonna trash it all because I can't. I just can't stay and be around when Wallace isn't here.
Tears pooled in her eyes. She didn't have a clue how to exist or function without her guiding constant. Wallace fulfilled the role for so long acting a father, mentor, and so many times, her conscience. The man often drove her crazy but he kept her from making truly terrible decisions even while letting her make mistakes she'd learn from.
Okay, she had to get moving. Thinking about Wallace solved nothing and it hurt. Dashing the tears from her eyes, she inhaled deeply and turned from the window. She grabbed her suitcase and checked to make sure the letter she'd left for Welsh remained on the bed.
Satisfied, she left her room and closed the door on her life. The one she loved but couldn't live anymore. She didn't have a destination in mind, but she planned to be as far away as possible before the pyre rites began. With the sun already slipping toward the horizon, she needed to make tracks.
When she exited the estate house, she refused to look back. She didn't need to see the huge structure to remember what it looked like. She'd always have a picture in her mind of the place she called home. But she carried pain in her heart underneath the vengeance and she didn't want either to touch the one sanctuary she'd had growing up.
Reaching her car, she popped the back door open and slid the suitcase inside. Once settled behind the steering wheel, she experienced a moment of indecision, the longing to stay almost overwhelming.
Squaring her shoulders, she started the engine and slowly drove down the winding lane to the main road. Luckily, she didn't have any oncoming traffic and turned left onto the state route, heading away from the city and the never-ending clan war.
She exhaled a long breath. "I'm sorry, Welsh. You'll be so much better off without me mucking everything up."
From one tiny corner of her mind, a niggling thought pushed through. I'm leaving the next best thing in my life and neither of us will be unscathed.

I'm excited to see where this one ends up. I have the basics in place and I'm slowly adding the detailed elements that flesh everything out.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment