Sunday, February 17, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Mind the Shadows

That raging upper respiratory ick from last week is still going strong. I'll be very happy to see the end of this one. But… it made for a good week of television. And my daughter's seventeenth birthday ended up being pretty great.

I started the second episode of Endeavour's fifth season. I truly love this show and I'm enjoying the guest stars also. Caught another episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles too. I seriously miss that show.

I went ahead and watched the first episode of Roswell, New Mexico. I'm intrigued and it should be fun to watch the reboot and the classic show at the same time. I hope.

Caught a few episodes of Classic Who this week while catching up on dishes and laundry. Also got to watch another episode of Birds of Prey. It's back on the CW Seed app.

I'm almost done with the first season of Pensacola Wings of Gold. I'll probably watch the first few eps of season two and decide from there if I'm going to continue. Caught another episode of Lexx, too.

Watched Gotham's second episode and, man, this show. It really found its footing and embraced the crazy. I'm going to miss it a lot.

Finished the week out with Strike Back and Chicago Fire. Gracie is fast becoming a favorite of mine. She's an amazing character. Also really great to see some character bonding on Chicago Fire.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Mind the Shadows, a Warlock's Curse novella.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nadia Iris discovers the terrible truth about her lineage and confronts the man responsible. Her father's dark plan for the future isn't high on her list of things to get done… but reuniting with Falk Ridenour is. Too bad her dad has other ideas for Nadia.

And a preview snippet…

Nadia growled. "I'm not going to dinner, out for coffee, or on any kind of date with Sebastian North." She got up and paced the carpet in front of Boris's desk. "And before you even suggest it, I'm not inviting him over and I refuse to entertain him if you do." She stopped and crossed her arms over her chest. "You can suck great big donkey balls if you think you're going to dictate who I see or spend time with while I'm here." She arched a brow. "I invited Falk for a visit and I'm spending time with him whether you like it or not. Being a raging asshole won't stop me, Boris."
Boris inhaled deeply before expelling the breath he took, probably in an effort to stay calm and not lash out at her. "Did no one ever teach you manners?" He folded his palms on the top of the desk, an exquisite example of cool collectedness.
Nadia huffed out a laugh. "You've met my mom, right?" The woman suffered no one's bullshit.
He gave a nod. "Point taken." Leaning back in his chair, he said nothing else.
A concession? From him? Wow. She found it… almost disappointing after spending days listening to him rant and spew venom toward her. Those tactics she could handle.
She frowned. "It's not fun when you don't growl and snarl at me." Her endless supply of quippy comebacks never failed her when he did.
He sighed. "Is that what you really want?" His eyebrow arched and she shied away from the familiar familial trait.
What do I want? The question kicked. Hard. She wanted Falk. Preferably naked. In a bed, against a wall… hell, she'd go for levitating if it meant having him buried deep, driving the weariness from her mind, body, and soul.
Her dad clapped his hands. "Stop thinking about the whelp. He's not for you." The distaste in his tone hid something deeper and possibly sinister.
When he got up and came around to stand in front of her, Nadia backed up several steps. She didn't care to find out what his deeper agenda might be at the moment. Time to end the conversation.
She leveled her gaze on Boris. "You don't get to dictate who I copulate with. You lost that chance when you dicked my mom, deposited your warlock jizz, then fucked off." She went crude and hard, just to piss him off.
He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply again. "Must you be so base and repugnant?" His monotone response covered a deep-seated anger.
She quirked her brow again. "Like you were when you were doing my mother? Tell me how I'm not a chip off your block, Dad." She barked out a laugh. "Considering I have your DNA, I'd say it's absolutely necessary to be base and repugnant, not to mention a foretold conclusion I would be." She moved forward. "And don't even think about being an ass about Falk. He's coming and you're going to welcome him with open arms." She waited a beat. "Or I walk." She brushed past the man who sired her and exited the drawing room.
The constant skirmishes with her beloved sperm donor made her nauseous and she couldn't take much more before she broke. And then her dear old man would have her exactly where he wanted her. A place she definitely didn't want to be, because Boris's agenda could only mean nothing good for Nadia.

I love this series so much. The ideas pop when I least expect them to and Nadia loves playing the outsmart-her-dark-overload-wannabe dad game.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment