Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Mocking With a Side of Sarcasm

As usual, the weather in Ohio is crazy. Snow and cold to start and last most of the week and a semi-thaw today with a ton of rain and wind. It's supposed to get cold again by next weekend. Sigh.

Kind of a slow week for television. I had several work deadlines that needed a lot of my attention and focus. I did get some viewing in though.

Finished up the Killjoys season and, holy crap, I'm truly ready for next season already. Where they left things? Yeah, I need to know what happens.

Caught another episode of Painkiller Jane and it was another one I didn't remember for the original airing. A pretty good one, too.

I watched an episode of Underbelly: Razor and I gotta say I'm really mad at Kate. That's the whole point but the whole deal with Bruce just burns my chaps. Tillie and Nellie are ripe for a downfall and I'll be interested in seeing how that comes about.

Caught the third episode of Endeavour and really enjoyed the case and hints dropped about the robberies. I like that there's something of a through line into the next episode. At least I hope that's what will happen. The robbery guys are total doltheads, just saying.

Watched one of my favorite episodes of The Sarah Conner Chronicles and I’m almost at the end of the road for the series. I really forgot how terrific and ahead of its time the show is.

Caught the third episode of Roswell, New Mexico. I'm truly loving this show and have become quite a fan. Here's hoping it gets a second season.

I'm two episodes from the end of Birds of Prey. Watched "Reunion" this week and enjoyed how Barbara and Helena discovered some internal truths. Also caught the first episode of Pensacola Wings of Gold season two. Not sure about continuing but I did like how they transitioned from the previous season.

Started episode four of Strike Back. Got distracted by work so I'll have to finish it up in the near future. Hopefully the very near future.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Mocking With a Side of Sarcasm, a novella that got a start with the two-word prompt of "yes, sir".

Here's the mini-blurb:

Bentley Briggs is snarky on a good day, but when she becomes mocking and throws out a side of sarcasm, Vasek Barrett wants to know why. He discovers a secret Bentley doesn't want him to know and she'll elevate her vitriol to an art form, but it won't keep Vasek from lending a hand.

And a preview snippet…

Vasek entered the armory and found Teague in the alcove he used for an office. "Wanna tell me what's going on? Or why you think you can use my men to make Bentley heel." The man better have a good answer or he and Vasek would be exchanging blows.
Teague didn't turn around, intent on the paperwork in front of him. "Yeah, about that. I overstepped there and it won't happen again." He folded up the documents and stuffed them back inside an envelope.
Vasek relaxed a little but had to make a point. "Look, I appreciate that—" He broke off when Teague held up a hand.
He turned and shoved the envelope into Vasek's chest. "Before you go any further, read the contents. Then we'll talk." He didn't wait for a reply, moving past Vasek to head back into the main armory.
Vasek frowned. "What the hell is going on?" Removing the papers, realization slammed into him when he reviewed the birth certificate and adoption papers. "Well, that explains a lot." Chip off the old block took on a new meaning.
Teague Mallick had fathered Bentley Briggs then signed away his parental rights when her mom married Baron Briggs. Pieces Vasek didn't know were missing clicked into place. Bentley's coloring so differed from Mariana and Baron's. Her temperament also didn't match either of her parents'. But Teague's snarky and irascible demeanor? Well… Bentley had that in spades. She also lacked patience but, like Teague, managed to get past her frustration when things didn't move as quickly as she'd like.
Vasek carefully returned the pages to the envelope and placed it on Teague's desk. Mind spinning with information, one piece fought its way to the forefront in Vasek's head. With Teague as her birth father, Bentley could have—
"Damn." Vasek nearly ran into the main armory and skidded to a halt when he bypassed Teague who stood just outside the walled-off area.
Vasek turned to face Teague. "She's got your genes. That means—"
Teague's nod cut Vasek off. "She does. Yes." He wouldn't meet Vasek's gaze.
Vasek fisted his hand in Teague's shirt. "Do not ever threaten to use my hounds again. You know what they'd do to her if the caught her." Turn her into mincemeat and it wouldn't be on them if they did.
They'd get a taste of her and wouldn't be able to stop.
Teague's gaze clashed with Vasek's for a brief moment. "Yes, I do know. I already told you I overstepped and it won't happen again." His tone and the fact he hadn't shoved Vasek away indicated Teague held something back.
Vasek's eyes went wide. "Aw, fuck." He pushed the older man harder into the wall. "She doesn't know, does she?" He let go of Teague and backed away before his fist found its way to Teague's face.
Teague shook his head. "Not yet, no. She's been a tad resistant to learning and training to control her new ability. That's why I've been in her face and worried about her." He moved away from the wall and paced the floor.
"Well, hell, yeah." Vasek started walking back and forth in the opposite direction. "You can't let it slide, Teague. She has to know." The sooner the better, because if word got out— "You have to tell her." The repercussions didn't bear thinking about.
"Tell me what?" Bentley breezed into the room, her hair damp and her shirt clinging to her skin.
Son of a bitch. As usual, Vasek's body reacted to her but the new knowledge tamped his libido down.
Teague definitely had a reason to be worried about her.

I'm still figuring out where this story is going but I love the dynamic between Vasek and Teague in this scene.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment