Sunday, July 21, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Order of Aggression


July 21, 2019

Man… the heat has been horrible this week. I hope everyone has a cool spot and is dealing with the high temperatures safely. Ugh… it's miserable. Watching the Irish Open, I truly wanted to be there. I mean they were wearing sweaters and jackets. I could go for that right now. And, yeah, everyone needs to remind me when I'm griping about how cold it is in May next year to shut up and deal. LOL

Slow week for television viewing. I had a full slate of work and needed to focus so I didn't get as many shows watched.

I did catch another episode of Daredevil. I missed watching one last week. Not a bad episode but too much Fisk for my liking.

Krypton had a great episode. I'm in deep and want to know what happens next. I'm honestly not sure if I care whether Lyta is redeemed or not but I do want to see her reaction to the reprogramming.

Watched another episode of Painkiller Jane and the pieces started to fall into place. Only about three or four more episodes left of this show.

Last but not least, I caught another episode of Durham County. Man, Michelle Forbes can really play the barely hanging on by a thread character better than a lot of actors. She's scary good at those roles.

That's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Order of Aggression, a novella that started with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Ames Braddock is ordered to take out an enemy outpost with possible civilian casualties, he calls on Parker Hart to be his second, but Parker balks at the idea. Ames isn't thrilled with the mission, but he needs Parker and he's not above using aggression to bring her in line, which gets the job done, but also backfires when she demands satisfaction.

And a preview snippet…

Ames pored over the blueprints for the neighboring buildings on either side of Fifth Street Saloon. "I need Parker's input. She's got the insider knowledge." And hated to use it.
Too damned bad.
Delving deep into her childhood never sat well with Parker, but her experience planning interference for her parents when they ran the black mage meant she could pinpoint the potential places for the traps they'd face. Even with the decade plus she'd switched sides, Parker almost always called the opposition's movements. The fact her parents no longer held a role in the guild's makeup didn't mean the new leadership changed the playbook overmuch.
Parker breezed into the rec room. "You wanted to see me?" She glanced at the blueprints and shook her head. "No. Dammit, Ames. I don't want to go back to that dark place again. You know how much I hate frolicking in my old life." Her eyes closed and her face twisted in a grimace.
He got up and scooted around the table, grasping her shoulders. "You're right. I do." He guided her to a chair and gently nudged her down. "But you're worried about collateral damage—" A sharp look from her had him amending his statement. "We're worried about civilian losses. One way to minimize them is to make sure we don't trip any explosive traps or knock anything loose that's dangerous to humans." He settled back down in his seat. "If you can help me figure out a way through each building, we can keep the element of surprise and hopefully get any edgy normals out of the way before we take out this saloon." He waited until she met his gaze. "Please, Parker. I'm trying to make everyone happy here."
She heaved a sigh. "You know something? If I'd known the levels I'd have to sink to pay you back for saving me, I might have stuck with the guild." Her lips thinned and she held his gaze. "I wouldn't be alive right now, but sometimes I wonder if that would be a better fate than this." She pointed to the blueprints.
A metaphorical kick to the balls had the same impact as the real thing. Ames hated it when Parker fell back on gratitude for a decades-old deed then twisted the knife by claiming she'd have been better off if he'd left her to the guild after they killed her parents. His fifteen-year-old self had taken one look at the shivering, cowering girl and his purpose in life became clear—saving her by offering her life on the other side.
They'd pretty much been in each other's pockets since then.
Which meant each could push the other's buttons without blinking. And Parker punched the saltiest one she could when she invoked the whole "you saved me and now I have to do your bidding even though I hate it" thing. Just once, she could maybe do the right thing because it mattered, civilian losses or not.
Ames bit back a heated retort and focused on the positive. "Not having you around would make my life boring so I, for one, am glad I found you." Admitting how much he depended on her came easily, owning what not having her close meant not so much.
Parker snorted. "Yeah, yeah. Ply me with pretty words so I buckle under and get to work. I know how you operate." Her lips twitched into a grin. "And I fall for it every damn time." She shuffled the pages on the table. "Give me thirty minutes to review these then we'll go do some recon." She pulled the prints closer and bent her head to study them.
Ames propped his feet on a free chair and settled in to wait. He had a solid idea of how he wanted to run the operation… unless Parker found something that could literally blow up in their faces.
Good thing she's on our side now.

This story is coming along nicely. I love the dynamic between Ames and Parker and dredging up ancient history is one of my favorite things to do.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment