Sunday, July 7, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Oracle's Prayer


I'm always blown away when July arrives and I realize half the year is really gone. The whole time speeds up when we get older thing is absolutely a thing.

Fairly busy week but stayed caught up with most of the shows I'm watching. Started out with In the Dark and watched two episodes. My heart kind of breaks for everyone on this show. And, again, I keep going back to how messy everything is. The episode with Murphy and Max on the run truly ended on a cliffhanger. Need to watch another episode soon.
                   
Caught an episode of Blade, the penultimate one. This series was ahead of its time and I wish it had the chance to realize its full potential.

Also caught the season finale of Chicago Fire, which ended on a cliffhanger. I literally had to call my dad—a retired fire chief and still active in our local department—to decompress. He's also a fan.

Watched another Classic Roswell episode. This one started moving the plot forward and tightening the bonds between the group. That means it's almost time for a wedge to show up and pull them all apart.

Frankie Drake Mysteries had a great episode. I loved how the women pulled all the threads to solve their case and it's interesting to see Frankie end up with a new enemy. Lots of fodder for future episodes.

Once again, Riverdale pulled out all the super batshit crazy it could find. I do love, love, love that FP is now the new sheriff. I'm dying to know what Hermoine meant when she said it's finally time. There better be a payoff there. Alice makes my head spin with her insane loyalty to the farm creepies. I truly hope I end up enjoying that storyline because I have a feeling that shit isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Kind of sad Veronica practically ran back into the fold when Hiram got shot but it makes for good conversation. Almost fell out of my seat when Tallboy arrived back on my screen. Can't say I'm upset he didn't stick around.

Watched an episode of Arrow and, wow, quite a few revelations. Having Emiko be the leader of the dark knights is just the kind of twist I like. Kind of sad she's pushing Laurel back toward her dark persona. That'll be interesting to see next week.

Caught another episode of Blue Heelers and can't say I liked the creepy dude they had to bring in to nab the home invaders. Kind of glad Doyle sent him packing and didn't fall for his creeptastic come-on lines. Geez. Also started a new episode but only got the first few minutes watched.

Krypton had a great episode. Glad Seg is free of Brainiac, or at least I hope he is. I love how twisty this show is right now. It's very hard to tell who is playing against who and I like that. Never knowing which direction a character will turn is fun.

I'm almost finished with Painkiller Jane. The standard groundhog day episode ended up being better than I remembered. I don't always love those kind of episodes.

Watched the season two premiere of Durham County and, yeah, this show is still dark and twisted. I love it.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Oracle's Prayer, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nason Forn, the daughter of an oracle, goes undercover to trap a wicked mage preying on young apprentices and thinks she's found her man when she discovers Lane Garganess standing over the body of the latest victim. But Lane has a covert identity, too, which puts him in a bad spot and on the wrong end of Nason's wrath.

And a preview snippet…

Nason Forn paced back and forth in her mother's chambers. "Are you going to help me or not?" Why couldn't her mom do one thing for her?
Paloma quirked an eyebrow. "What is it that you seek?" She folded her hands within the sleeves of her robe.
Nason barely held back a snarl. "You're a goddamn oracle. You know what I need." Just once, she'd like to not play games with her mother.
Paloma inclined her head. "I do, yes. Yet you can't say the words." She rose, keeping her arms tucked inside the flowing fabric of her priestess garb. "Words you've known since birth. Words you'll need if you're going to bring the one who took our sweet Georgie away to justice." Her tone dropped to an angry level. "Words you'd better goddamn get used to speaking aloud if you want any hope of pulling this ill-advised charade off." She flung her head back and opened her arms, flinging them wide.
Nason blinked at the spectacle, something she should've been used to, growing up as the daughter of a powerful oracle. And… her mother had a valid point. Nason had to see past the specter of her past and embrace the spiritual side she buried deep.
She sighed. "I hate it when you're right." She turned, her hands clasped behind her back, and faced her mom. "Fine. Here we go… I seek knowledge from the oracle's heart. I crave wisdom from her sage beliefs. I pledge this gift will not be abused. Nor the advice be refused." The oracle's prayer—spoken by any who wanted a glimpse of their future or an interpretation of their dreams.
Paloma nodded and directed Nason to sit in a chair by the fire. "You did well, my daughter." She settled in the matching seat and tucked her legs under her robes.
Nason shrugged, uncomfortable with the praise. "Not like I haven't heard the prayer a million times in my life." Probably more.
Paloma shot Nason a sideways glance. "Hearing it is not the same as believing the prayer opens the doorway to interpretation and divination or that it makes a binding contract between the oracle and the seeker." She leaned forward a little. "Georgie believed. Her apprenticeship neared its end and she had strong ties to the order. Her loss hits everyone hard."
Nason's eyes welled but she refused to let the tears fall. "She was my best friend, Mom. You're not telling me anything I don't already know or feel to the depths of my soul." Georgie made the world not suck so badly.
Paloma reached out and clasped Nason's hand. "She was more than your best friend, Nason. Georgie was family, the sister of your heart and I'm sorry she'd gone." Her fingers squeezed Nason's. "But I firmly believe you'll bring her killer to justice."
Nason cocked her head and gave her mom a long look. "Have the mists revealed this?" Her mom rarely tried to divine Nason's future.
Paloma shook her head. "No, you know I don't pry into your futurescape. You'll find her killer and bring him in because it's what you do. Even though I hate the idea of you putting yourself in harm's way, I will help you in your quest." She let go of Nason's hand and eased back, leaning into the chair.
Nason held her mom's gaze. "Did the agency speak with you?" Her work with the enforcement division of the fae council never sat well with Paloma.
She lifted a shoulder. "Only one person spoke with me. Benton Dartworth. He asked me to keep our conversation confidential from anyone but you two." Her head tilted to one side. "There's more going on here, isn't there?"
Nason answered with the truth. "There always is, Mom. Ben can't be sure the killer isn't in the agency. He knows I'm not because of my relationship with Georgie." She gave her mom about three seconds before she'd figure out the rest.
Paloma's eyes went wide then she nodded. "And he's not the killer for the same reason." She waited a beat. "His relationship with Georgie."
Nason's lips twitched. "As usual, you get it in one." She tucked her feet under her legs, sitting in a similar position to Paloma. "When can we start, Mom?" Soon wouldn't be fast enough.
Paloma gazed into the fire before she answered. "First thing in the morning." She held up a hand, knowing Nason would object. "I have had a full day. And if you think for one moment I'm going to half-ass your training for this, you can get up and leave now. Twelve hours is not going to make a bit of difference in the killer's timeframe."
Nason pushed back a little. "It will if he kills another apprentice tonight."
Paloma sent her daughter a scathing glance. "No, it won't. I can't train you in ten minutes, Nason. We need at least a full day. Tomorrow night is soon enough for you to get started on the trail of justice."
Nason sighed and got up. "Fine, Mother. I'll be here bright and early. Does seven a.m. work for you?"
Paloma rose and shed her robe, neatly folding it and draping it over the back of the chair. "Yes, it does. Meet me in the garden and be prepared to immerse yourself into an intense training session." She followed Nason out of the chambers and to the front door.
Nason twisted the knob and stepped out onto the wide porch. "I'll be ready." She paused then hugged Paloma. "Thanks, Mom." Stepping back, she briefly caught sight of the sheen of tears in her mother's eyes.
Nason headed down the steps, unable to offer any reassurances. She had one mission and couldn't get started soon enough.

I'm pretty pleased with how this story is moving along. Nason and Lane have a twisty road to walk and it's going to be fun to see how they navigate.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment