Sunday, June 30, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Only When They Blink


June kind of flew by in a rainy, chilly, dreary kind of way. I'm kind of looking forward to July. Not the heat so much, because it did finally get hot, but mainly in a new month clean slate deal.

Not a bad week for television. I'm staying somewhat caught up on everything. Started out with an episode of In the Dark and I'm happy Murphy and Dean are on speaking terms again. I also love how much Max messes up with her.

Watched another episode of Classic Roswell and enjoyed it a lot. I'd forgotten Michael became an emancipated minor in the first season. For some reason, I thought that happened later.

Caught Frankie Drake Mysteries and loved this one. I thoroughly enjoy seeing historical characters woven into the storyline. I also still want the detective and Mary to hookup but have a feeling Frankie is in his sights. Bummer.

Man… Riverdale truly embraces the batshit crazy. And I love it. I still want Hiram to go down hard. And Alice… oh, Alice. What the hell happened to you? I guess I better keep watching to find out.

Watched an episode of Arrow and it's one I've been looking forward to. I enjoy the future flashes almost as much as I loved the flashbacks. How awesome is having Nyssa train Mia? Seriously.

Caught the next episode of Krypton and didn't really see Brainiac possessing Seb coming. A cool twist though. I'm also quite enjoying having the multiple storylines unfold. So glad to see Lyta's mom back on the screen.

Painkiller Jane had a solid episode even for a clip show. Series television doesn't do those much anymore, which isn't a bad thing, but when they're done well, it's fun to watch.

Watched another episode of Durham County, the first season finale, and wow. Kudos to the actor who portrays Ray Prager, Sr. Watching him unravel was seriously compelling. I'm so curious about the actual… original… serial killer though. Maybe that line will be picked up again?

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers and I'm still enjoying this one.

Also watched the next episode of Midsomer Murders, which ended up being terrific. The mix of themes with Romeo and Juliet and Sleeping Beauty worked out better than expected.

Got two more episodes of Peter Gunn in and also two more of Classic Who. Not a bad way to round out the week.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Only When They Blink, a novella that started with a writing community prompt to put a new twist on a fairy tale story.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Hale Easterson has fae blood running in his veins, but he won't follow the family old school traditions and mate by the designated age. He escapes to his private lake house to find an unconscious Winter Sorn, a beautiful woman, sprawled on his doorstep and realizes he may not be able to avoid what destiny has in store.

And a preview snippet…

Hale Easterson stood at the huge windows overlooking the gardens at the rear of the estate house. He didn't turn when the double arched doors opened and soft footfalls whished along the carpet. He continued facing the crystal clear glass with his arms behind his back.
His father stopped halfway into the room. "Why aren't you dressed? The cocktail hour starts in fifteen minutes."
Hale waited a heartbeat before answering. "I'm not staying tonight, Dad." He'd had more than enough of the hints, the females being parading in and out of the house, and the never-ending must-find-a-mate discussions.
Henrick Easterson reacted accordingly. "Tradition demands you settle on a female and start the next generation of the family. No Easterson waits until they're over thirty. You're not going to be the first." He made his way to Hale's spot by the windows, anger seething under the surface of his demeanor.
Hale rolled his eyes. "First of all, settle on a female is beyond insulting—to me and the potential woman I'd be spending the rest of my life with." He turned, facing his dad. "Second, the concept is barbaric and antiquated. Old school traditions aren't necessary anymore and I won't feed into the idea that a man has to be tied down to a singular future before he reaches his third decade." He glanced down at this jeans and battered boots, each well-worn and comfortable, fitting like a second skin. "I'm done with the whole thing. The invasion of my privacy, the wrecking of my solitude." He met his dad's gaze. "All of it." Including the stupid cocktail hours three nights a week.
Henrick's mouth thinned to a slash across his face. "You're being rash and untenable." He turned and strode to his desk.
Hale snorted. "No, I'm being me, Dad. I'm not a chip off the old block. I don't care how old the fae blood is in our lineage. I'll get mated on my own terms, thanks." And to someone of his choosing… not whomever his father found suitable.
His dad's head snapped up and an angry grunt escaped. "Bah! Your own terms. You don't know enough about yourself to dictate terms, Hale." He whipped a drawer open and pulled out three files. "Since you won't be participating in actively seeking a mate, I've taken the liberty of culling the prospects down to this trio." He tapped the top folder. "You can choose all three, but only one will carry the Easterson name and bear your children." Glancing up, he met Hale's gaze squarely.
Hale made a garbled choking sound. "I. Am. Not. You." He charged forward, sweeping the files off the desk. "I'm not marrying anyone you pick or parade in front of me. And I'm definitely not setting up for multiple mistresses… unlike you." Planting his hands on his hips, Hale all but dared his dad to keep the conversation going.
Henrick's shoulders slumped. "There's a lot you don't know, son. And you aren't interested in listening, but you need to. You can't outrun fate, Hale." He straightened and met Hale's gaze.
Hale shook his head. "I'm not running, Dad. I'm calmly walking away. Whatever fate has in store for me can find me at the lake house… where it's quiet and not filled with people I have nothing in common with." He made his way to the large French doors, placing his hand on the knob. "Do not send anyone over. I don't need a servant or a caretaker and I don't want your loyal minions snooping around in the one place I call a sanctuary. It doesn't belong to you and never will." He opened the door and stepped outside.
Henrick didn't follow but his words did. "No matter where you hide, fate will still find you."
Hale didn't break his stride. "Let it try."

This is a loosely based Princess and the Pea concept story. I love writing Hale and Winter and how neither wants to settle for fate ruling their destiny.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment