Sunday, July 28, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Passion's Gate


July kind of flew by in a series of weird weather and crazy work schedules. I'm oddly okay with that. The weather is what it is… and will probably keep acting like an angry toddler. My work calendar is bursting at the seams and I'm excited about my new projects.

But… my television viewing is sporadic, which isn't a bad thing. I'm just so used to doing rundowns each week I feel like my blog is naked if I don't have a full slate. LOL

I did get a few shows watched. I started with Midsomer Murders and got a holiday episode. There's a new detective sergeant or maybe it's detective constable, but either way, I'll miss Jones. I loved that character. Which isn't to say the new guy won't grow on me. He's not bad. Good mystery also.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers and it's rather different and I like it. I'm not sure how long the first season is, but the series is something like fourteen seasons and it's nice to have variety in format.

Caught two more episodes of Peter Gunn and Classic Who. I'm kind of excited to watch a live-action episode with Two. So far, it's been six animated episodes.

Finished the final episode of Blade. I have to admit to still being disappointed with the outcome on my rewatch. Sometimes I can have a change of heart when I've got a few years of distance when viewing a show's run.

Frankie Drake Mysteries had a great episode. I'm starting to like Grayson a little more and it'll be fun to see if Frankie's mom sticks around.

Watched the fifth episode of Daredevil and, eh, this is something of a slow-moving season. I do like where things are going and it's great to see Karen kind of have to face what she did in a previous season. That said, I'm enough of a Fisk non-fan to really not want to watch a bunch of scenes with him. And the FBI agent annoys the crap out of me. I actually think he's too smart to be playing things so stupidly. So, yeah, I hope the rest of the season evens out.

Started Riverdale's Bizarrodale episode and hope to finish it later today. This season has been dark and twisty and I like it.

New episodes of Killjoys have started and I'll be hopelessly behind on those, but I can't wait to watch this final season.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Passion's Gate, a follow up featuring the characters from Kindred Spirits.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Kirby Selwig meets Passion Gates and she rocks his world. She's a force to be reckoned with and a little out of control. Kirby is tasked with tempering her wild spirit—something she has no interest in taming. Too bad she doesn't know Kirby never fails to get results.

And a preview snippet…

Passion Gates had zero fucks to give about being welcome at Atherton's University of Magick and Alchemy.
Her gaze swept over the faces of everyone in the council room, lingering on one man in particular, before swinging back to the specimen of golden awesomeness standing before her.
Too bad she'd never have a piece of him. Not if he marched lockstep to the tune of Atherton's board. Something she'd never do.
She planted her hands on her hips. "I don't have all night. Someone needs to tell me why I've been summoned to your exalted presences." As if she couldn't guess.
Elixir. With the special little twist she'd added.
The blond stud took control of the conversation. "Well, Passion, here's the deal. We're here to meet with the board to discuss illegal tampering with a favorite alcohol in three different bars." His eyebrow quirked. "Would you like to shed some light on the situation?" His gaze challenged her to deny his supposition.
Good thing she had no plan to do so. "Well… Kirby, was it? I can shed whatever you want on the situation down to the exact incantation used to add the strong sexual component to the brew." She paused and glanced toward the board. "Unless you think it might be too much for the old hard-asses to understand." Pinning the man in the center with her gaze, she smirked.
Dean Hargrove rose to his less than impressive height. "That's enough, Ms. Gates. We perfectly understand the how. You'll be returning in one week's time to present the reason why and we'll determine whether you'll be facing criminal charges to be transferred to the magistrate." His voice wobbled on the last part.
Good. He should have reservations. And he also shouldn't expect her to fall in line.
Passion snorted. "You're wrong. I'm not one of your students; you have no jurisdiction over someone not enrolled in your precious university." She turned and started for the door but glanced back. "And I'm just getting started. You'd do well to stay out of my way, Uncle Dean." The collective gasps and chorus of shocked responses filled her with a sad sense of victory.
When she dropped a bomb, she aimed for the biggest and best impact.

I love, love, love this story. I'm having so much fun with the first novella and Passion kind of walked in and parked her bold badass self in my brain and the sages started whispering. I won't be complaining about that at all.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment