Sunday, December 8, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Red Cap


I wish I could say it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, but it's so not. LOL I'm hoping I can add some holiday cheer to the casa sometime this week. I think I'm going to make 2020 my year to finally purge a ton of stuff we no longer need or use.

Didn't have a great week of television, but did get a few things watched. We got a Disney + account through our wireless carrier so I did start a rewatch of the Gargoyles series. I have so many fond memories of this show when my oldest was little.

I finished the Gilmore Girls marathon and had some pretty intense feels. I watched sporadically when it originally aired, mainly because I had three youngish kiddos at the time. I really love the vibe of this show, even when I wanted to strangle the characters sometimes.

Caught another episode of Midsomer Murders and also realized series twenty isn't the last one. Yay!!

Caught a full story arc of Sapphire and Steel along with a full arc of Classic Who. I'd forgotten how much I truly disliked the Master way back when.

I finished out the week with The Trouble with Mistletoe, a Passionflix original. If you're not a member, consider signing up. I love the service!

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Red Cap, an urban fairy tale that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Magan Drone, a red-capped tree nymph, is ordered to protect Cass Warrison, an earth sprite tasked with guarding the land from the wolf-shifter clan. Magan isn't thrilled with the duty—she and Cass share a complicated past—but her handy skill with a crossbow can stop an evil prophecy from coming to light. She'll do her job and save the day, but no way will she let Cass back into her life.

And a preview snippet…

Cass jogged down the steps and paused outside his grandfather's study. "I'm going to patrol the woods." There'd been a lot of movement on the fringe and Cass didn't like it one damn bit.
Cecil angled his head around. "Not sure that's a good idea." His gnarled fingers rubbed at his achy knee.
Cass launched a defense. "Because it's me? Too bad, Grandfather. I need to know what's going on out there." He pushed away from the door jamb and entered the room.
Cecil waved a hand. "Of course, I'll always worry when you're out there. But the reason it might not be a good idea is because we're due for rain." He quirked an eyebrow. "Hard to see when it's coming down in buckets."
Cass stopped short, thrown a little by the easy cave-in. "Er… I'll keep it brief then. Mainly want the others to know I'm out and about. If the weather turns, I'll head back in." He waited a beat, expecting more push back from his grandfather.
Cecil lifted his chin. "See that you do. Supposed to be a soggy night." He glanced out the window. "But it's nice out there right now. Try the western path through the glade. Always a nice walk in the late afternoon."
Cass blinked, a little surprised by the advice. "Uh, thanks. I'll do that." He turned and left the study, chalking up the amiable conversation to the fact the old man had starting handing over the reins of leadership.
Not that Cass wanted to rush into being the co-magistrate for the enchanted glade, especially since he'd share the position with Milton Drone. He made his way to the front door and left, heading in the westerly direction his grandfather recommended. Cass had a ton of respect for Milt and thoroughly enjoyed the man's sage wisdom as well as his company. What Cass didn't enjoy…
"His niece, Magan." Or, more to the point, her biting tongue.
Come on, Cass. You know exactly why she all but froths at the mouth when you're around.
Okay, yeah, he did. And he'd deserved her cool disdain after they parted ways almost a decade ago. But… it had been ten years.
He shoved his hands in his pockets. "No one holds a grudge like Magan." Even after he apologized numerous times.
She could cut him a break if she wanted to.
Instead, she'd rather slice him to shreds with well-aimed barbs—literally and figuratively.

I love to put a new spin on an old tale. The red riding hood vibe is fun to write, especially with the twist of gender-swapping the characters.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment