Sunday, January 5, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Ringside Seats


January 5, 2020

Hello 2020! I'm quite thrilled to have a clean new year to take out for a spin. We have a new puppy named Maggie Mae and she's a sweetie. Her big sister Annabelle needed a companion and so far they're settling in together very well. I'd totally forgotten how much energy puppies have. Yeesh.

Had a limited week of television viewing but got a few shows watched. I caught a full arc of Classic Who and also watched quite a bit of the Doctor Who marathon on BBC America. Sadly, I missed almost all of the episodes from last season.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers. I had a long hiatus mainly because I've been catching up on laundry and had so much to fold I couldn't do it in my laundry room.

Watched two more episodes of Gargoyles. Also had another great conversation with my oldest about watching this show when he was a little one.

Caught the prom night episode of Riverdale and, again, enjoyed the hell out of it. This show is so incredibly batshit I can't not have fun while watching.

Also watched an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. I'm so on the fence about where they're going with William and Julia. To date, this show has never let me down so I'm hoping that won't be the case here.

Finally, I started an episode of Frankie Drake Mysteries. This is another show that rarely lets me down and I'm having a good time watching this episode.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Ringside Seats, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

An unclaimed attraction leads to some aggressive flirting in the apprentice's ring, when Vita Morj and Keb Pennyson are challenged to see who'd win in a magical bout. It may end up a draw, because neither opponent plans to give quarter.

And a preview snippet…

Vita Morj draped the strap of her messenger bag over her shoulder. "Finally finished with finals." The mage academy wouldn't get another thought from her for a full month.
Which meant she had to budget her funds even more, but the break would be worth it. Too bad the financial aid stipend her grandmother secured didn't extend during the semester downtime.
"Vita! Hold up a moment." The deep, resonating voice came from behind her.
Vita paused, her breath catching in her throat. What could Keb Pennyson possibly have to say to her? Not like they even came close to existing in the same circles. He had blue blood running through his veins and while her pedigree topped his… a grand total of three people had access to that information.
Turning, she slid her gaze in his direction. "Keb. Need my notes or something?" He'd snuck into class during one of the instructor's spell lessons.
He flashed his megawatt grin. "Nah. I have a guy for that." He leaned in close, crowding her personal space. "What are you doing tonight? Can you see your way to having dinner with me at my family's estate?" He braced on arm on the wall behind her, creating an intimate cocoon.
Vita's eyes widened. "Uh… dinner? Well… sure, I guess so." Color her shocked, because Keb had cool and aloof down to a fine art.
But his invitation, issued with a warm tone, thrilled her to her toes. And he got her name right, which also surprised her. He normally referred to people he didn't run around with by the first initial of their name, followed by incorrect versions. Visa, Vila, Veela…
She bit back a huge smile, not wanting to show how much having her secret fantasy guy ask her out excited her. "Should I just show up? Or will you be picking me up? Oh, what time?"  She stumbled over the words but, holy shit, Keb Pennyson. "And, um, does your family dress for dinner?" That could be problematic.
He gave her a quirky smile. "Yeah, the folks like a formal affair, but you don't need anything special. Just wear a dress and you'll be fine." He backed away. "I'll pick you up in the quad… around seven? Dinner's at seven thirty." He raised an eyebrow.
Vita gave a nod. "Okay, seven PM in the quad. I'll be ready." She started a mental list because she didn't own a dress.
Surely the vintage thrift shop would have something appropriate? And she'd have to use the last of her grocery allowance to buy something.
Then again… worth it.
She had a date with Keb Pennyson.
Vita all but floated out of Banner Hall before heading for her dorm.

I so love writing this one. Keb is getting ready to learn a valuable lesson at Vita's hand and he's going to stumble and fall a few times.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment