Sunday, January 19, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Rite of Passage


I'm so excited! We're getting our leaky roof replaced in the very near future. I've been waiting to do a small renovation in our bathroom because I need to make sure we won't have any more water damage in there. Can't wait!!

Not a bad week for television. Caught an episode of Frankie Drake Mysteries and, once again, enjoyed the four main characters and their bonding. Terrific female representation in this show.

Watched the penultimate episode of Riverdale's third season. So many revelations in this one and nothing I'm terribly surprised by. Edgar is just as creeptastic as I suspected. I do want to know if Polly is aware of Jason being… whatever the hell Jason is. My gut says Alice is not. Can't wait to find out. Veronica pulled a savage move on Hiram and I'm totally there for more of that. I literally hate that guy and actually wouldn't mind if he died in a fire. No such luck, I'm sure.

I caved and watched a season twelve episode of Peak Practice. I'll probably go back and forth on this show, catching the entire run while also sneaking in episodes with my favorite actor.

Caught the behind-the-scenes episode of Midsomer Murders and I'm ready to start season twenty-one. Looking forward to diving in next week.

I'm excited to watch the final season of Arrow in the very near future, along with the crossover event. I'm also thrilled to have some new super-hero shows on the horizon. Should be an interesting year for watching.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Rite of Passage, a Warlock's Curse novella.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nadia Iris and Falk Ridenour have one goal—to thwart her father's nefarious power grab. Even though they're on the same page, Nadia struggles for balance and Falk has to make some hard choices about their future.

And a preview snippet…

Nadia spoke quietly. "Why are you checking out on me?" Tension radiated from her.
Falk sighed. Only Nadia would see him taking a step back as abandonment. How could he explain the clarity he now had?
Nadia paced back and forth. "Falk, you're letting my dad get to you." She stopped and pinned him with a glare.
Falk tilted his head to one side. "Yes, but also no. Having him in my face—and yours—all the time is pissing me off, so yeah, he's getting to me." He straightened and presented his case the best way he could. "Look, Nadia, I have to let you choose for yourself. If I don't, I'm no better than Boris." He moved forward and put his hands on her shoulders. "I'll offer any and all insight where I can, but won't be a dick like your dad and force you into making decisions." He cupped her chin and held her gaze. "I also won't use my dick to bind you to me." Because that would be exactly what Boris would do… hell, had done with Miranda. "Ultimately, Nadia, you have want that binding and come to me." Something he hoped for more than he wanted to admit right now.
Nadia's eyes welled up. "Don't you see the ultimatum is almost as bad?" Her fingers dashed the tears away.
Falk shook his head. "You see giving you the choice as an ultimatum?" How could she not understand? "I love you. Witch. Warlock. Woman. I don't care what you call yourself. I do care about not using you for some endgame to gain power." Boris had that wrapped up tight.
Nadia closed her eyes and swayed a little. "I'm so tired, Falk. Tired of fighting Boris. Tired of having Sebastian underfoot. Tired of not knowing which way to jump." She turned and stared into the fire.
A flash of insight hit Falk. She needed his guidance and didn't see him being alpha and demanding she choose him as a bad thing. But he couldn't make a demand, not even if it helped override and balance her warlock side. He could, however, share his conviction with her.
Moving to stand behind her, he wrapped his arms around her. "You know what has to be done, Nadia, and I will help there. You'll also know who's going to win. You'll make the right choice… because I trust you to do it." Pressing a kiss on her temple, he eased away from her and turned to leave.
Because Nadia also needed Falk to end her dad. She couldn't do it. The binding Boris did during her conception prevented her from killing him. But Falk didn't have any restrictions other than doing no harm. Putting Boris down would test the boundaries of magickal law but Falk counted on love winning out. His love for Nadia would be the deciding factor when he had to face whatever the coven council threw at him.
Exiting the study, he whispered an incantation and forwarded a message to the warlock master. They'd meet at dawn to end the battle for Nadia.

Honestly? I love this series so much. I'm hoping to get the time I need to write the whole thing before releasing any of the books.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment