Sunday, January 26, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Rumpled and Worn


Wow, I can't believe January is almost over. Actually… yeah, I can. It's been a strange month. The weather is definitely not winter-like, which I'm not really complaining about. It might be nice to have snow… but maybe after we get our roof repaired.

Slow week for television as I had a few projects to get caught up on. I caught a new arc of Classic Who episodes. I'm in the tenth season and have one more to go with Three.

Also watched two more episodes of Gargoyles and finished out the first season. The second is super long with something like fifty-plus episodes. I'll gradually make my way through those.

I watched the first episode season eight's Arrow. Man… I'm going to miss this show so much. I'm excited there might be carry-on with Mia and the Dinah's and I actually hope some of the others in the 2040 version of Starling City find their way to the new show.

Caught an episode of Murdoch Mysteries and loved it. I always find it fun when they have historical figures mixed in with the regular cast. And I love the soft jabs the show takes at current events.

Watched another episode of Frankie Drake Mysteries and I have one left for the third season. I really love how they work Flo and Mary into the storylines and I'll be interested to see what season four has on the horizon. If there is a season four.

Started the Riverdale finale for season three. I'm so hoping Edgar is gone for season four and I know Hiram isn't but I at least I might get one wish to come true. Seriously, I hate Hiram with the passion of a thousand burning suns. Ugh.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Rumpled and Worn, a sexy short that got a start with a writing community prompt about taking an established fairy tale and putting a new twist on it. I chose Rumplestilsken for this one.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lindie Lands strikes a deal with the Rumpleman—keep her crazy stalker at bay and she'll hand over the first man she falls for. But when she finally finds a lasting love with Cole Darrington, she's not willing to give him up and together they outsmart the Rumpleman.

And a preview snippet…

Cole Darrington knocked on Mabel Hawthorn's door. "Mrs. H? I'm going down to the ATM. Do you need anything?" He usually tried to ask whenever he went out later in the evening, especially since Mrs. H tended to run out of milk, eggs, and other baking supplies.
The oak slab swung inward and Mabel poked her head outside. "Ah, Cole. Come in for a moment, will you? I've got a wee list almost ready." Which could mean she had one or two things or up to a dozen items.
Cole stepped inside the tidy apartment. "Smells good in here. What sinfully delicious thing are you baking tonight?" From the aroma, he'd put his money on some kind of cake.
Mrs. H handed him a scrap of paper. "Mini coffee cakes. I need some cinnamon for dusting to mix with sugar for dusting the tops." She nodded at the jar on her counter. "Take what you need—"
Cole held up a hand. "Uh-uh. One container of cinnamon won't break the bank, Mrs. H." He tucked the paper in his pocket—not that he needed it—to humor Mabel.
She narrowed her eyes. "Well, then, I'll be bringing some of the cakes over for you to sample." Turning around, she bustled around, putting the mixing bowl into her sink.
Cole patted his stomach. "You're a very bad influence, Mrs. H."
She angled her head around, giving him a grin. "I'm not the one you need to worry about." She referred to her prophetic statement about the woman Cole would spend his life with.
Cole only half-believed her crazy theory he'd immediately know when he met her from the jolt that would supposedly shoot from his palm to his heart. Mrs. H had some mystical notions about love and soul mates and how the universe helped guide people on their right path. He'd never completely discount Mabel's statements because she'd been instrumental in helping Cole discover his calling as personal trainer and gym owner. You get what people need to motivate them and you're not an asshole about it. His lips quirked. Mrs. H didn't mince words.
Mabel paused from washing the bowl and cocked her head to one side. "Better hurry. Rain's coming." She sent a glance over her shoulder.
Cole gave a nod. "You've never been wrong. I'm headed out now." A quick trip to the local grocery then a stop at the ATM shouldn't take too long.
She lifted her chin in farewell and Cole backed out of her apartment, closing the door quietly behind him.
When he stepped out onto the sidewalk in the murky darkness of evening, a low rumble of thunder rolled in the distance. Cole shook his head and dashed across the street.

I love reworking fairy tales and adding an urban flavor to them. This one is so much fun.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment