Sunday, March 8, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Slip of the Tongue


What a weird weather week. Of course, it's March in Ohio so not exactly uncommon. We had beautiful spring-like temperatures at the beginning of the week and by Thursday it got chilly again. A little bit of snowy flakes and brrr! degrees outside.

Finished up a big project and another one on the smaller side and also started a new one. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of television in this week.

I watched the last Midsomer Murders that's currently available. I rather hope they do another season. I love this show.

I also caught another series one episode of Peak Practice. I'm enjoying this series quite a lot.

I started the eleventh series of Classic Who and loved the introduction of Sarah Jane. I'm so sad Elisabeth isn't with us anymore. She made Sarah Jane such a great character.

I've watched about eight more episodes of Danger Man. John Drake is definitely a pre-Bond character study. The first season is a lot of fun so far.

Caught two more episodes of Gargoyles. The second season is quite a mish-mash. Not to say it's not good but a lot is going on.

Started the second episode of Strike Back's final season. This show. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Hmm. Maybe I watched more television than I thought. But that's it for this week. Tonight's post is from Slip of the Tongue, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Sylvie Brown and Holden Baker are word alchemists, creating the strongest, most intricate spells in their realm. One slip of the tongue can bring catastrophic destruction … or it can garner surprising results. Sylvie learns two little words can hold a wealth of meaning.

And a preview snippet…

He loved the way the word alchemist blushed while at the same time sending him a look filled with sin and seduction. The messy bun atop her head tilted to one side and several strands had escaped to frame her face. The disheveled appearance suited her.
And conjured images of how she'd look in his bed.
He let go of her hand. "I really wouldn't." Surprisingly, he'd responded to her on contact.
He rarely made connections with people, male or female, on an initial introduction. Experience taught him most weren't what they presented to the world. But… Sylvie lacked guile.
Her shoot-from-the-hip style showed she aimed straight and true. Well, duh. Being a word alchemist probably helped. The intent behind people's words often bled through on spellcasts and Sylvie would have to be especially careful with how hers were taken.
Which explained how and why she'd made a solid first impression with him.
She laughed and shook her head. "You might regret having that thought. Right now, as much as my body is screaming for some hot and heavy action, my brain is too full of shit that needs to be done." Flicking him another sultry glance, she turned away. "Like the fortification of our wards and protections." Reluctant acceptance filled her gaze when she met his again.
Holden gave her a slow and thorough once-over. "So, we'll save that thought for later then." He nodded toward her interrupted project. "Do you need to finish up with that?"
Her eyes widened only for a second before she covered her surprise. He'd seen through the invisibility hex, one of his skills, and wanted to show her a glimpse of what he could do.
She sighed. "Yeah, I do." Heading toward her kitchen area, she stopped by a long table separating the two rooms. "Can you use this space to set up? I figure it's got plenty of room to spread out and we can each sit at one end." Her hand swept over the area.
Holden assessed the surface and agreed. "What about your meals? Will this"—he held up the tube of blueprints—"get in the way?" Four different sets would take up a lot of ground.
Sylvie laughed. "I never eat at the table. But the room looked so empty, I put one in to balance the space." Turning again, she started toward the cloaked spellcast.
Curious now, Holden asked, "Where do you eat?" He'd need to get some recommendations since he didn't know the lay of the land yet.
Sylvie pointed to the living area. "In front of the fire or down at the pub in the village."
A low table surrounded by pillows separated a loveseat and sofa on either side of the hearth. Two wingback chairs faced the mantle, creating a cozy spot for conversation or contemplation. She had excellent taste and a minimalist style.
Holden flashed a smile. "I might have you show me where this pub is. I'm a sucker for a good stew and hearty bread." His mouth watered thinking about both.
Sylvie grinned. "It's fish and chips for me. Nothing beats a good beer batter." She glanced toward the clock. "Let me finish up and I'll be happy to treat you. My way of saying welcome to Thornglade and thank you for being here."
Holden looked forward to spending time with her. "Sounds great. I'll get started here while you work." So far, he had no reservations about accepting this job.
He hoped that wouldn't change later.

I enjoy witty banter and having a story set around words and the play on them that can be very fun and lead to good and not so good things. Sylvie and Holden are masters at their craft and use their words wisely.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment