Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Stay the Course (Warlock's Curse book one)


We're entering week … eh, I'm not even sure … of the social distancing and I'm truly hoping we start to see the case numbers come down. We're doing what we can to stay inside and away from others. We do try to order from our local restaurants a night or two a week to help support the establishments.

Had a slower than normal week of television viewing. I started out by finishing up Strike Back's third episode. I'm very excited for the rest of the season. I also caught the declassified short for this episode.

I started a new episode of Blue Heelers and hope to finish it this upcoming week. So far, I'm truly enjoying this show.

Watched the end of a Gargoyles episode and got two more in. I don't remember Xanatos being such a cheesy villain when I watched this show with my oldest. Man, he is one though.

Started the first season of The Witcher. Gotta say I'm intrigued. Here's hoping the rest of the season measures up.

For fun, I watched the blooper reel for Dirty, Sexy Saint and laughed out loud a couple of times. I love how much behind the scenes Passionflix shares with its members.

Caught another episode of Arrow. I'm not sure if it's because I know it's ending or if the writing has just kicked it up a notch but I can honestly say I end up getting all choked up with tears in every episode so far. We're getting to the home stretch so I don't expect that to change.

Also watched another episode of Murdoch Mysteries and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having the ladies take center stage was much appreciated. I'm a little intrigued by Violet showing her sharpened teeth, which probably won't bode well for William and Julia in the next two episodes. That said, I'll be happy if Miss Violet Hart ends up going down in flames. I'm not a fan.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Stay the Course, a novella that opens the Warlock's Curse series.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nadia Iris is at a crossroads and has to choose whether to find her path to fulfillment as an adept or stay stagnant in her current position. She decides to go on a journey quest, but has to leave Falk Ridenour behind. Falk isn't happy, but supports her choice, even knowing the hardship she'll face.

And a preview snippet…
What do I want?
Nadia wanted to punch a hole in the universe and disappear. She wanted to figure her shit out and become a white-robed witch. She wanted … to be normal, dammit.
She heaved a sigh. "I want all this…" She motioned around the classroom. "To be easier like it is for everyone else. I'm tired of being a freak of nature. Can you fix that?" Would that he could or at least tell her why she struggled so much.
Falk made his way to her side. "I would if I could. You know that." His tone held a wealth of sincerity.
And she believed him. Hell, he already had. Falk didn't treat her like a total misfit … unlike everyone else in the coven's rookery, the school for discovering and learning about their gifts.
Falk grabbed her hand and tugged her over to the small couch by the windows. "Look, let's give magick a break for a while." He waited until she sat and put her feet under her thighs. "What else do you enjoy doing during downtime? Reading? Music? Art?" He angled toward her and gave her his full attention.
Geez. Something of a loaded question. And a little out of her comfort zone. She could be snarky and say she liked to have lots of sex, but he didn't deserve the disrespect. Any discussion of her weird hobbies involved letting Falk get a peek inside her chaotic mind and she weighed how much of her inner self to reveal. Then again, what did she have to lose?
Maybe she'd test the interest level a little. "You really don't want to know what I get up to when I'm not in class, do you?" She wouldn't blame him if he didn't.
His gaze didn't waver. "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't."
Okay, then. She'd start with something somewhat simple but a little dangerous. See if he really wanted to dive into the freak show she called her life.
Standing, she held out her hand. "Come on, it's better if I show you." A break sounded wonderful … even if Falk might live to regret taking an interest.

I'm very excited about this series. The ideas popped very quickly and the other books are pretty much plotted. Now to find the time to really flesh everything out and get them finished up.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment