Sunday, April 5, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Still of the Night


Gotta say it's so hard to have my youngest's senior year be put on indefinite hold. So far, the musical is canceled, which is to be expected. Prom is postponed for now. Graduation is up in the air as far as walking to get a diploma. She's handling it pretty well all things considered. I'm very proud of the level of maturity she's showing.

Not a bad week for television but slower than usual. I've been taking on as much work as I can in case the well runs dry there. Who knows how long the quarantine will last?

I can safely say I'm disgusted by the fact Hiram is a free man on Riverdale. And I'm beyond "meh" about a long-lost daughter showing up. I am very intrigued by the whole flash-forward cut scenes at the end of each episode. I'm very interested to see where those go.

Caught another episode of Danger Man, which started season two for me. I guess I didn't realize the second season went to hour-long episodes. I'm not sure I've seen any of those.

Watched the season two premiere of Roswell, New Mexico. I'll be brutally honest … I'm really not sure I'm down with the whole "let's kill Max" concept. For now, I'm trusting the creator but if I'm let down with where things go, I'll be done watching. I do love Michael's journey so far. I'm not thrilled Maria is still completely clueless about the alien angle, but I'll see how that plays out also. I love where Alex and Kyle are right now. Here's hoping I'm not completely let down by this show.

On a very happy note, I'm in the middle of watching Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears and it's so, so good. I'd read reviews that implied it didn't measure up to the series, but, in all honesty, I'm actually pretty pleased with I'm seeing so far. Considering this movie happened because fans were more than happy to crowd source the filming, I'd say the general public can zip it.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Still of the Night, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Salem Rhys has the perfect recipe for brewing dark lager, a potent alcohol that will go over huge at the mage academy … but doesn’t have the know-how or equipment to create the concoction. Jared Meyer, a tech genius, can definitely help her out. Salem falls hard for her business partner, but considers him out of her league until Jared proposes more than a money-making venture.

And a preview snippet…

Jared crossed the pentagon cursing his ignorance. "What the hell was I thinking?" Great mage, he hadn't been.
As usual.
Sometimes having a genius IQ made him really stupid. No wonder his family wanted to teach him a lesson in humility. He needed one.
He might have to apply practicality to his everyday life, but if he fell on his face, he had a family that would dust him off and urge him to start over.
He shook his head. "Salem has no one." What would that be like?
Alone. No family. And lots of problems.
A flush of shame headed his face because he'd never thought about anyone else's circumstances. Why would he? As the golden child of a long line, he didn't need to. But he should.
He snorted. "The whole point of being cut off, right?" Or one of the excuses his family gave him anyway.
And not without cause. Jared couldn't deny he pushed the limits of acceptable behavior because he could get away with doing so.
Lost in recriminations, he didn't hear the running footsteps come up behind him until a hand grasped his shoulder. Turning, his eyes widened to find Salem, slightly short of breath, but otherwise unfazed by jogging to catch up with him. Wisely, he kept his mouth shut this time.
She exhaled and cleared her throat. "Look, let me apologize for being bitchy back in the common area. In my defense, I literally just left the dean's chambers after being informed I have to come up with my tuition or leave in two months." She paused, closing her eyes for a moment. "I don't want to leave; I love it here … but I have nothing. No savings, no emergency fund, and like I said, by the time my mom's estate makes it through probate, it'll be too late." She blew out another gust of air. "No matter. It didn't give me cause to be an asshole."
Jared admired her sense of decency … especially when he actually pulled the dick move. "No worries, Salem. And no need to apologize." He waved off the idea.
She shrugged and tilted her head to one side. "Did you mean it when you said you'd help if you could?" A note of desperation crept into her gaze, marring the incredible green hue.
He flinched internally. He'd pay for her entire run if he had access to the funds. Which he no longer did. But maybe…
Giving her a nod, he confirmed. "Sure. I can't offer to make the payment, but I have a couple of family members on the board. Did you want me to speak with them?" It would cost him pieces of his pride and probably a good bit of dignity, but he kind of liked the idea of helping a damsel in distress.
Salem shook her head. "No, no. That's a nice gesture and all, but I was hoping you might help with this." She thrust a sheet of notebook paper his way. "Do you know where I can find the items on this list?"
Jared took the page and scanned the odd mix of rare herbs and weird industrial supplies. Wheels started turning in his head. There were several different things she could use the items for and—
He met her gaze. "What are you up to, Salem?" His eyes narrowed. "You're not going to blow something up, are you?" The industrial equipment would make terrific housing for explosives.
Salem made a garbled choking sound. "Of course not." Her insulted tone came through loud and clear.
He cocked his head, the gears quickly shifting in his brain. "Okay, then … you're what? Making a still to brew alcohol?" The mix of herbs made more sense now.
She lifted a shoulder. "Maybe. I've got my mom's recipe for dark amber. Figured I could sell it for tidy profit if I can figure out the tech to magick ratio." She paused, her shoulders slumping. "And find a way to buy what I need."
Jared studied her for several long moments. Her idea might prove sound. She could make a killing with the upcoming festivals. Beauty and brains. I might have discovered my personal kryptonite. He wanted to help her in a big way. And possibly work an angle to his benefit too.
He read over the list again. "Can I keep this? I know of a place where you could get the equipment." As to the plant stuff… "Can't really help on the herbs. Organic magick isn't my thing. Too boring." Although, the way she wanted to use them made him wish he'd paid more attention during those classes.
Salem hesitated, eyeing the list. Ah … she didn't trust him. Why the lack of faith stung, he couldn't say, but it did.
Shaking his head, he folded the paper and tore it in half, keeping the section with the industrial supplies. "Here." He handed the organic list items over to her. "Wouldn't want you to think I'm trying to steal your super-secret recipe." Although, he wouldn't mind getting cut in on what should prove to be a profit-making venture.
Salem blushed a charming shade of pink. "Again, sorry. But I really need to make this happen and trust isn't something I have in large supply right now." She tucked the paper into her pocket.
Jared shrugged. "Fair enough. Give me the rest of the day. I'll let you know if I find a source for this stuff."
She gave a quick nod then turned and walked away.
He'd made it to the other side of the quad before realizing neither had set a time or place to meet.
He snorted. "If this venture is going to work, we need to communicate a little better."
Wouldn't that be fun?

This story is so much fun. Jared and Salem are slowly going to figure out the trust and communication thing.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment