Sunday, April 12, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Storm Down the Drain


I think we're starting to get used to our state of affairs. For me, it's not a huge change. The household still has three workers deemed essential and one who can work depending on the weather. Financially, we're feeling a pinch but not a hard bite. We're still trying to show support for the restaurants and local businesses to help ease their concerns.

Kind of a slow week for television, mainly because I've been feeling kind of blah. When the weather goes from warm to cold then back again twice in one week, I react poorly. My sleep schedule is way out of whack right now. Bleh.

I finished up Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears. I loved it!! The conclusion ended up being perfect with a callback to the series and Phryne's biggest fear. And the movie let Phryne stay in character so to speak. I won't spoil anything but the romance ended up being exactly right for Phryne and Jack.

I also got to check out the behind the scenes footage and a Q and A with Essie Davis. Fun stuff. If you get a chance, check this movie out on Acorn.

Watched the penultimate episode of season one Peak Practice. I'll finish up the series this week coming up. I can quite decide if I like Will or if I think he's a complete prat. Or … if I actually like him because he's a prat. LOL

Caught the Death to the Daleks arc of Classic Who. I'm not sure how many episodes are left in season eleven, but I'm looking forward to revisiting the fourth doctor in the next series.

I decided to see if I can catch some musicals and concerts that are streaming right now. I watched an amalgamation of Cirque du Soliel, featuring Amaluna and two other shows. I'll be watching another one later this week and then searching for a musical or orchestra concert to watch.

I'm doing a trial with CBS All Access and watched the first episode of Picard. I'm intrigued. The reviews were mixed but I can safely say I kind of want to know what the hell is going on with the Romulans and the Borg and the federation and AIs. I'll be tuning in for another episode for certain.

Caught episode four of Strike Back. I'm very pleased one of the characters got to live to see another day. I love how much Chetri does on the down low. I also love how Coltrane does what he thinks he should do but changes on the fly when loyalty comes into play. This show … I'm going to miss it so much when it's over.

This week's Strike Back Declassified ended up being really good. Seeing into the thought process is always fun and hearing how they shoot things in long takes amazes me.

Watched two more episodes of Gargoyles. I'd forgotten how much Demona annoyed the crap out of me. I'm getting a crash course during the rewatch. LOL

Caught episode two of The Witcher. Again, this show intrigues me. I'm following along fairly well and I like having the three storylines playing out on the screen. Looking forward to the next episode.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Storm Down the Drain, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

On a dark and stormy night, Brooks Algonquin knocks on Velvet Strong's door and asks her to help him find the Burmesian Raven, an antiquity with magical qualities. Velvet takes his case but quickly learns Brooks has ulterior motives for acquiring the artifact stolen from his family.

And a preview snippet…

She's taking the case.
Brooks's grin faded. Now he had to figure out how to keep her safe. But … an idea started to form in his mind for a perfect solution.
Letting go of her palm and reaching for his checkbook, he met her gaze. "Will you accept half your fee up front?" He retrieved a pen from his pocket.
Velvet held up a hand. "No, not yet." Leaning back, she draped an arm over the cushion. "Let's see if I can find this artifact first." A small smile curved her lips. "And maybe see how much of an adventure this turns into." The robe parted at her waist below the hastily tied belt, giving Brooks an amazing view of the leg she didn't have tucked under her thighs.
His mouth watered … just a little.
Then reality kicked in. He'd hate to see anything happen to any of her limbs.
Clearing his throat, he pressed forward with his idea, playing a carefully manipulated hand. "Er, you know how my family operates. I ditched my babysitter to come here so they wouldn't know my plans." He rolled a shoulder. "I'd feel better if I have you on retainer. You'll be protected if you are."
Velvet's eyebrows rose. "How do you figure? If I'm on your payroll, they'll know what you're doing." Her lips thinned to a flat line across her face.
Now comes the tricky part.
Brooks complimented her intelligence. "Good point. Your reputation is well-known, but you're also a woman. In my world, you wouldn't be taken as seriously as a male counterpart." He rolled his eyes. "Having you on retainer would offer a layer of protection if only because you'd be taking payment. But … it would tip my hand." He met her gaze. "To be completely safe, and to keep what I need to do under wraps, I want you to become my mistress."
Velvet's mouth dropped open. "Excuse me?" She blinked and her shoulders tensed.
Brooks quickly clarified. "Only to the public. You know, a ruse." He gave her another slow once-over. "Although, full disclosure, I wouldn't mind having you in my bed." Not one damn bit would he mind.
Velvet's countenance changed and the seductive siren came out. "Mmm. As nice as that would be…" She leaned forward, invading his personal space. "I only get intimate with people I trust." She patted him on the chest. "And you and me … we're not there yet." Rising, she gathered the tray from the table and carried the items into the kitchen area again.
Brooks almost asked why she didn't trust him. But … he hadn't told her everything. He couldn't. Not yet anyway. The fact she'd picked up on his evasive tactic kicked his respect for her up another notch.
He stood and followed her into the nicely appointed kitchen. "Have you changed your mind then?"
Velvet angled her head around to meet his gaze. "About taking the case? No, not at all." She turned, facing him. "But let's be clear on my role. I'll pose as your lover in public. In private, we stay in our own beds." She folded her arms over her chest. "Does that work for you?"
He nodded. "It does." As much as he wanted her, he couldn't be a slave to his libido—not with his life on the line.
Velvet gave him a brief smile and moved past him. "Good." She led the way back to the exit.
Brooks paused behind her. "Once my family knows you'll be at my place or I'll be over here, they'll relax. If they think I'm wrapped up in a new woman, the shadow detail should loosen up and give us windows of opportunity to find the artifact." Most of those pockets of time would be during the darkest part of night, but she'd have figured that out already.
Velvet stepped aside but stayed close to the door. "Did you have a place in mind for our first meeting?"
Brooks had just the place picked out. "Jumpin' Joes. Do you know the place?"
She gave a nod. "I'm familiar with it, yes. A good pick. Crowded enough to play into a chance meeting, but not so popular we'll be in a crush of people. Tomorrow around nine?"
The time worked well for him. "Perfect. I'll get there a little early and claim a spot at the bar." One last thought struck him and he didn't stop to think about his next action.
Cupping her face with one hand, he leaned in, making his intention clear. She didn't resist or flinch away and his mouth slanted over hers for a long, lingering kiss.
When he eased back, he traced his thumb over her cheek. "Practice. Had to make sure we'd be able to pull off a public display of affection." He definitely wouldn't mind finding reasons to lock lips with her again.
Velvet blew out an extended breath. "Obviously not going to be a problem." She reached for the doorknob. "But … let's remember to keep those displays in the public arena from this point forward." Pulling the door open, she sidestepped to let him exit.
Brooks lifted his chin, acknowledging her stipulation and left the suite. He waited until he started down the back stairs before letting a wide, slow grin cross his face.
Working with Velvet Strong might be the best thing ever.

I love this couple who aren't a couple. If all goes well, Brooks and Velvet will slowly make their way toward a satisfying ending.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment