Sunday, August 2, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Unforeseen Consequences


Is it really August? Man, I'm actually kind of thankful. I'm ready for 2020 to be over and done with. It's been a very crazy year.

Had a fairly busy week of calls with potential new clients and a new project starting. It's been kind of slow since May and I'm excited to see if things pick up a little now.

I also got quite a few of my long-form brainstorming sessions converted into text. I'm seriously thrilled with this!! I can't wait to see how many I get translated and transferred over this week.

Didn't get a lot of shows watched this week, but I did catch another couple of episodes of Danger Man.

Also watched episode seven of The Witcher and I'm so happy there's going to be another season of this show.

I'll be catching the second Gabriel's Inferno movie this week, even if I have to stay up super late to watch. I'm looking forward to this one.

I'll hopefully be catching up with a few other shows also. It's been hit or miss with both time and lack of focus to get into a show.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Unforeseen Consequences, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

In the School for the Extraordinarily Gifted, Stella Stubbs and Dak Satterfield hold the record for the most challenges won. As instructors, they no longer join in on the fun, but both enjoy watching their students try to break their top scores—until a dangerous element is introduced and they discover their last wager won had unforeseen consequences.

And a preview snippet…

Stella entered the headmaster's office when he called out a greeting. "Wilson, it's that time of year…" Her voice trailed off and she hoped he picked up on the meaning.
His lips twisted in a wry smirk. "Ah … and you've come to get the ball rolling so to speak?" He withdrew a folder from his drawer. "You always did like to be the first one, didn't you?" The file had a blank page on the top of a full two decades' worth of predictive wagers.
Stella's lips curved when memories assailed her. "I don't have to be the first … but I do like being the last one standing." The very first time had been her and Dak against Wilson.
Wonder if he remembers?
Wilson flicked his gaze to her. "From what I remember, you have a habit of getting what you want." He turned the folder toward her. "We'll see if you can hit the mark this year." He placed a pen on top of the page.
Stella cocked her head and quirked an eyebrow. "Will you be joining in?" She filled in the first line with her prediction and added Dak's name beside hers.
Phelps frowned, his mouth flattening to a thin line. "The entries should be individual ones. Is there a reason Satterfield can't pick another number?" He leaned back in his chair, giving her a speculative stare.
Stella rolled a shoulder. "If we disagreed, absolutely. But we don't. Neither of us thinks we'll lose anyone this go around." She tapped the paper. "This is one of the best groups we've ever had. Possibly rivaling our class way back when." She didn't exaggerate; the vibe from this group took her back a decade.
Wilson gave her a bland look then shrugged. "Fine. Since I'm still finding my footing, we'll let it go this year." He took the folder and closed it. "But next year, there might be some changes." His tone didn't match the placid look on his face.
Wonder what kind of grudge he's still holding?
Stella resisted the urge to find out, but pressed for some additional information. "Will you be making a lot of sweeping changes? Or sticking mainly with the status quo?" She didn't see a need to mess with a good system but wouldn't discount a new perspective.
Phelps narrowed his eyes. "I'm not completely certain. I'm still going through the staff files." He folded his arms across his chest. "You've been here pretty much since graduation, haven't you?"
Yeah, she had. And she didn't regret it one bit. She and Dak traveled during their breaks but the school had become their home. They'd never leave voluntarily.
Giving Wilson a nod, she answered with a question. "Have you ever found a place that speaks to you on an instinctive level? That's what I found here. From the very first day." Might sound a little out there, but true nonetheless.
Wilson inclined his chin. "I thought the same thing until senior year." A dark look crossed his face but cleared almost immediately. "But ten years of new experiences makes me appreciate what can happen here. I'm glad to be back." He stood up and came around the front of his desk. "It's not quite the same, but it's starting to feel like home again."
Stella smiled even though his words struck a weird chord. "Well, it's good to have you back." She jerked her head toward the door. "I'm gonna be late for training, but thanks for letting me get my name down first." Starting for the exit, she paused when he mumbled something under his breath.
Shaking her head, she gave him a second to continue but he didn't say anything else.
When she reached the jamb, Wilson called out a farewell. She gave a small wave and ducked out of the room. An odd sense of foreboding settled between her shoulders but she shook it off, putting the vibe down to opening the door to the past.
Maybe Wilson didn't like the reminder that she and Dak were a package deal.

I love a little cat and mouse and this scene ended up being a lot of fun to write.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment