Sunday, August 16, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Utter Not a Word


Well, we're off to move my daughter into her dorm for her very first semester of college. It's been a crazy whirlwind of a week, trying to get last-minute details nailed down and grabbing all the final items she needs to have with her. Thankfully, I've only got one project that has a deadline and my past self ended up being smart enough to work the move into the due date. Whew.

Not much viewing of television this week. Too many things going on. I did catch another episode of Danger Man, which happened to be another one I hadn't seen yet.

Also got through almost all of Gabriel's Inferno. Like I said, I'm kind of taking my time with this one and thoroughly enjoying it.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers and a new character has been introduced. So far, he's a bit of dick. Not sure if I'll end up really liking him or hating him a bunch. Time will tell.

I'm really looking forward to having a little downtime once we get the college-bound kid settled in. The whole pandemic thing has completely thrown off my usual groove and I'm not quite sure if I'll get it back or if my new normal will take some getting used to.

That's my week in a nutshell. Tonight's post is from Utter Not a Word, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Maren Roth is reeling over the loss of her oldest friend after a skirmish with an opposing faction goes horribly wrong. Wayne Edelman, a superior adept with the responsibility of their sect resting in his hands, offers comfort and support in a very unexpected way and Maren realizes the man has become an expert on reading her moods. With a huge battle brewing, she takes solace in the concept that together with Wayne, they might have a fighting chance at winning.

And a preview snippet…

Wayne didn't break his stride, keeping one hand on Maren's elbow, when Linder and Bart approached. "Give me an hour. I'll debrief after I get her settled." He nodded in Maren's direction.
Bart arched a brow. "Kincaid?" The actual question went unsaid.
Wayne shook his head. Linder stumbled a little but recovered quickly. He'd had hopes of pursuing a relationship with Jessie at one time. The timing never worked for either of them.
And with the elder mage ailing, Linder, Bart, and Wayne had taken on and split the leader's responsibilities.
And now they had a colleague's death to contend with. Not to mention Maren, which he needed to handle with care. Her history with Jessie went way back and the loss could have devastating repercussions.
Bart pitched his voice low. "Look, we'll give you as much time and cover as possible, but we've got to have a conversation about the hellfire Maren unleashed back there." He took the lead and opened the door to Maren's suite.
Wayne sent Bart a blistering glare. "Not now. She's barely functioning at the moment." He ushered Maren into the room. "Have you ever known her to be silent for any length of time?" Or act docile under any circumstance?
Frankly, she had Wayne a little scared.
He blocked the door, barring the other two men. "Let me get her checked over for any injuries and get her cleaned up. I'll call you when I know what's going on." He didn't wait for a response, stepping back and closing the door.
Maren swayed where she stood but blinked and finally seemed to focus.
Turning toward him, she met his gaze. "Thank you." She almost wilted, stumbling to one side.
Wayne rushed forward and caught her before she dropped to the floor. "Hey, stay with me here. Let's get you into the shower and checked out. Do you have any injuries?" Leading her to the bathroom, he got the water turned on.
She tugged her shirt free of her pants. "Probably. I hit my head earlier and my ears are still ringing." She paused to remove the garment and drop it on the floor. "I can't think straight. Everything keeps playing over and over in my head." Her eyes welled with tears, but she dashed them away.
Wayne helped her get the rest of her clothes off and into the shower. She winced when the sting of the spray hit her body. Wayne did a quick assessment, clocking the scrapes and bruises marring her skin.
She and Jessie put up one hell of a fight. We should've been there sooner. Linder and Bart would have to be ready to make some solid changes to the patrols. The wizards were ramping up for something and two-person teams wouldn't work anymore.
Once Maren had a towel wrapped around her, Wayne had her sit on the counter. "I'll see to these cuts and scrapes, but I want to check your head. Where did you hit it?"
Maren lowered her chin and pointed to her nape. Wayne gently ran his fingers over the area and winced when he found the good-sized bump, especially when Maren hissed out a breath.
She flinched away. "Still hurts." But her palm went to the location and rubbed over it.
Wayne's lips quirked but he didn't smile. She had him too concerned. No wonder she had trouble staying coherent. The combination of grief, sheer exhaustion, and the bump on her head meant she needed rest. And lots of it.
Maren slumped forward, her head resting on his chest. "So tired. And sore. I hurt everywhere."
Wayne shifted and got an arm under her legs. "Let's get you to bed. Some sleep will help a little." Nothing but time would help ease the pain of losing Jessie.
Maren didn't argue, a rare occurrence. Wayne deposited her on the bed then went to get some painkillers and water. When he returned, Maren had the sheet pulled up over her torso and her damp towel lay in a heap on the floor.
Wayne handed her the caplets. "Take these and I'll grab some ice for that lump on your head." He entered the kitchenette and made a cold pack.
He found Maren already nodding off but got the ice pack behind her head and the blanket pulled up around her. "I'm sorry, Maren. So sorry." Leaning over, he pressed a kiss to her forehead, something she'd normally never allow.
Dragging a throw from the end of the mattress, he tucked into the recliner to stay close … just in case. If she had a concussion and tried to get up, she could end up doing more damage.
And he didn't want her to be alone. Not yet. They needed to talk about the hellfire she unleashed and discuss why she couldn't do anything so foolhardy again.

Loving the way this one is progressing. I'm excited to see how everything comes together.



That's if for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment