Sunday, August 23, 2020

Sunday Snippet: A Valentine Caper


We're almost to the end of August and it's been a month. I'm glad we're closing in on the last quarter of the year. 2020 definitely provided a roller coaster ride. And we're not quite through yet.

Had a solid week of work and reorganizing. Made some terrific progress on the office clean out. Got two of my six bookcases put together and shredded a bunch of old stuff I don't need to keep anymore. I still have a buttload of shredding to do but progress is progress.

Got a little bit of viewing done this week, mostly Danger Man episodes. I wanted to finish season three then realized there are only two episodes of season four. I'm disappointed.

I also did a couple of marathon viewings on Ovation. The morning mysteries are a lot of fun and the Monday block of A Place to Call Home is pretty good also. I also caught Partners in Crime, which ended up being better than I thought.

That's pretty much it for television. Tonight's post is from A Valentine Caper, a holiday-themed novella that got a start with brainstorming session with a group of friends.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A cupid, Lorna Heartshorn, is a workaholic who wants to spend Valentine's Day—the one day her magic doesn't work—with a mortal man who needs a hot woman. When Gus Shepler pops up on her radar, she thinks she's found the perfect guy and sets out to seduce him. No easy feat, since he's sworn off women after a string of bad luck and nasty break-ups.

And a preview snippet…

Gus shook his head. "So basically you're only looking for a single night of sex."
Lorna frowned. Is he really less than thrilled I'm after a hot night in bed? For a primo piece of man, he disappointed her.
She snorted. "Let me guess, you're so full of yourself, your huge ego doesn't think a single night will satisfy me, right?" Ugh, why did she listen to her friends?
Gus's eyes went wide. "No, I'm less than thrilled because I thought you might be different." He pinned her with a hard look. "Did it even occur to you that I've been celibate because that's all women want from me? A hard dick connected to someone they can order around, sleep with and forget, or use when their husband is on the road with his mistress." His eyes rolled. "No thanks. I'm done."
Well, didn't she just pick the worst possible guy? Okay, not her, Marie and Katie. What in the ether were they thinking? Unless … oh, they were trying to be sly. But Lorna saw through the maneuver of trying to get her hooked on a keep 'em coming back for more kind of man.
Lorna tilted her head back. "All right. I'll grant your luck hasn't been great … but were any of those recent relationships actually honest and up front about what they wanted?" She'd lay odds against any of the women doing so.
Gus rolled a shoulder. "You've got me there. Not a single one." He jammed his hands in his pockets.
Lorna took the gesture as a positive sign she'd made headway. "Well, good. I should get points for stating exactly what I want." She moved to sit on the bench across from him. "And I'll explain my reason for the short-term duration." She patted the seat next to her. "If you'll indulge me and listen." She put her best eyebrow arch to work.
Gus gave a reluctant sigh and settled beside her. "Okay, I'm listening."

I'm having some fun with this story. It's supposed to be a sexy short but the characters keep coming up with more they want to say.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment