Sunday, November 8, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Your Call

Yikes. What a week. We have a new president, which I'm rather thankful for. I hope things slowly get back to at least an even keel. I spent two evenings in two different emergency departments and got to play Dr. Mom with my daughter after she took a spill while riding her rip-stick. Also got some health screening done. It's been a little crazy for the first week of a month.

Didn't get much television watched. I viewed my usual fare on Ovation and caught a few more episodes of Silent Witness. Also ended up catching a few episodes of Death in Paradise, which I enjoyed.

Had a great conversation with my brother about shows we've both watched. We're fans of Australian dramas and recommend anything new we've come across to each other.

That's pretty much it for television this week. I might be back on a semi-regular schedule soon.

Tonight's post is from Your Call, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

After an epic battle with a spell weaver, Norje Blayheart and Barrick Nembly—adept mages—aren't sure they can stay together as a couple. Their love can be used against them and neither can risk being pawns in the looming war between the weavers and the mages.

And a preview snippet…

Barrick jerked awake. An obnoxious sound came from the phone on the nightstand.

He nudged Norje and handed her the device. "It's yours." No one else used thrash metal for a ringtone.

She groaned but answered. "Hello." Pushing up to her elbow, she listened intently. "Yeah, fine. I'll head out as soon as I can. Yes, it'll be within the hour." She cut the call. "Geez, what crawled up Hoyt's ass?" Moving to sit upright, she swung her legs over the mattress.

Barrick rolled to his side. "What's  up?" Hoyt liked to push buttons but he'd been on a tear lately.

She shrugged. "Apparently, the world is going to end if I don't get out and patrol right away. Well, more like gather intelligence. Hoyt wants me to skulk around down at the riverfront and see if I pick up anything." She stretched her arms over her head and tilted her head from side to side.

Barrick sat up and propped his shoulders against the pillows. "Damn. If I'd known you were gonna get a call out, we could've gone straight to bed." Right, maybe not.

Norje angled around. "And miss out on that incredible experience?" She snorted. "Bite your tongue, Barrick. Never." Getting up, she crossed to the dresser and dragged out one of Barrick's T-shirts.

He grinned. "Help yourself." He got a kick when she wore his clothes.

She chuckled. "I gotta bring more of my stuff over. Didn't think I'd need work clothes tonight." Dragging the shirt over her head, she glanced over her shoulder. "Please tell me at least one pair of my leggings is here."

He nodded toward the wardrobe. "Second shelf." She could conjure whatever she needed but if she met any trouble, she wouldn't be at full power.

Grabbing the garment, she stuffed her legs inside. "I'll keep you posted." Winding her hair up, she tucked it under a clip. "Better get some rest. I'll lay odds Hoyt'll call you out tomorrow." Snagging his canvas duster, she crossed back to the bed.

Barrick leaned over and caught her face with one hand. "Wake me up when you get back." His lips met hers for a lingering kiss.

She inclined her chin and gave him a wave then exited the bedroom. A few seconds later, the door opened and closed. Barrick settled back, closing his eyes. She really did need to get her stuff moved over. Unless she wanted to wait until after their handfasting.

He shook his head. "Won't be a bit surprised if Hoyt finds a way to conveniently forget we've got downtime scheduled."

This story is coming together nicely. I like where Norje and Barrick are headed … straight into danger.

That's it for this week.


 

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment