Sunday, October 10, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Kill Switch

October is starting out really well and I hope it's a sign of things to come. My work projects have picked up again and I'm so happy! I'm also making progress on the great clean out again. I've also taken to spending fifteen to thirty minutes before I go to bed reading something that interests me. I've got a ton of new research books and I love digging into them.

Pretty decent week for television viewing. I watched four episodes of The Muppet Show. The guest stars were Shields and Yarnell, Dyan Cannon, Victor Borge, and Linda Lavin. Pretty good episodes all in all.

Caught two episodes of Prime Suspect, which finished out season four. So far, the episodes are standing up and I like revisiting them.

Watched two episodes of Peak Practice. Will said good-bye and headed for Bristol and the newly formed trio is finding their footing. The second episode ended up being quite dramatic with explosions and emergencies all around.

Enjoyed the second lesson of Master Class with Brandon McMillan. He focused on variables that make dogs unique. I already have some good information based on the two types of dogs I have.

Caught Making the Witcher and liked diving deep into how everything gets put together behind the scenes. I'll probably be starting a new show this week.

Enjoyed Artist to Icon: Madonna. She came onto the music scene in my early adulthood and I've always enjoyed her music. Nice to see some new information about her long and storied career.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. As usual, I get sucked right back into the past when my oldest was a tiny baby and watching the show with my husband in the evenings.

Caught an episode of Chicago Med and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like how the relationships and friendships work on the show and even when the characters make me angry, I can see where they're coming from.

Loved the latest episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Breen's discomfort whenever he tangled with the abrasive Trudy proved valid even if she ended up not quite fitting the mold most, including me, cast her in.

Watched the first part of Silent Witness. I remember this one but not how it turned out. I'm always interested when the characters end up on opposite sides of a case. Looking forward to seeing how this one plays out again.

Enjoyed Classic Who's finale arc of season nineteen. Looks like Teegan won't be returning for the twentieth season, leaving the Doctor with one companion. Should start the new season this week.

Finished out the season of UFO Conspiracies. I'll be starting a new UFO show this week and I'm kind of hoping it will be a good one.

That's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Kill Switch, a novella that has circumstances keeping my main characters apart and they're not happy about it.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Karsen Hill and Theo Gordon live in a modern world full of magic and mayhem. Torn apart by their circumstances, they still share a powerful attraction and it will take a kill switch to keep their feelings at bay. When a bar of the same name opens, the duo can't resist meeting to explore their options.

And a preview snippet…

Theo hauled Karsen close and wrapped an arm around her. He picked up his phone and dialed his mother. She picked up before the first ring completed.

"Where are you?"

His fingers trailed down Karsen's shoulder. "Out. What do you want?" At twenty-five, he no longer accounted for his every waking moment.

Too bad Meara refused to get the message.

His mother pitched her voice low. "You were supposed to be here an hour ago. I've got guests, and your presence is required." She hissed out the last words.

He closed his eyes. "For another boring dinner? Not tonight, Mother."

She pushed out an angry breath. "Then I'll make the announcement of your engagement without you."

He shot up, dislodging Karsen from his side. "My what?" Did his mother go off the deep end?

Karsen gave him a questioning look and he turned away, running a hand through his hair. "I'm not doing this, not playing this stupid game. I'll be home when I want to be, not because you're playing your hand at blackmail."

Meara tsked. "This isn't blackmail, Theo. It's a done deal. Get your ass home now." The line went dead.

He heaved a sigh and got up, meeting Karsen's gaze. "Sorry, Karse, I'm gonna have to go." He leaned in, planting a hard hiss on her lips.

She waved her phone back and forth. "Yeah, me too."

Her distracted tone pulled his attention from sorting their clothes. "Anything wrong?" His family drama could take a backseat if she needed him.

She glanced up from reading a text message. "What? No. Yes. But nothing you can do. Seamus is on a tear again." She rolled her eyes. "Needs help routing out a cadre of vampires." She slid to the edge of the mattress. "Apparently only I can lend the assist."

Theo shrugged into his shirt. "You're the only one who ever can. He's got no one else he can rely on." Because he never looked any further than Karsen.

Karsen smirked. "Your utter dislike is showing." She jammed her legs into her pants and dragged her tank over her head.

Theo put his hands on her shoulders. "Not trying to hide it." He pressed a kiss to the column of her throat. "Be careful out there."

She flashed a grin. "Always am." Her face sobered. "Problem at home?"

Theo shrugged. "Eh, not sure yet. My mother is being her usual pain in the ass self." And he had every intention of shutting her down if possible.

This story goes in a lot of directions but everything comes together in a terrific way. I'm excited to get it finished and ready for action.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment