Sunday, April 3, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Numb

Nothing like starting April with snow flurries and chilly weather. Prom weekend for the high schoolers ended up being very brisk. Brrrr.

Had a very busy work week but I made a ton of progress on a difficult edit. It's something kind of new for me and I'm thoroughly enjoying the project. Had a couple of great calls for some possible new work also. All in all a productive week.

Had a decent week of viewing television also. I'm more or less back on my regular schedule, which makes me happy.

Caught two episodes of Silent Witness. I'm very much liking the new season. Clarissa is fast becoming a favorite and they're not shoving the new guy in my face all the time. All in all, I'm still loving this show.

Finished up season twenty-three of Classic Who and started season twenty-four. I'd forgotten the weird way they morphed from Six to Seven. I actually might not have seen that one. Almost finished with the original run and then I have to decide if I'm going to start a rewatch of New Who. I might wait a while.

Watched two more episodes of Aliens in Alaska. I have one more to watch then it's on to something new. I might dive into something more space-related again. I'm not sure yet.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Muppets Now. I should have this finished up this week then I'll have to decide what to watch next. I might dive into the Marvelverse. I've been wanting to watch Hawkeye.

Caught two episodes of Harrow. Man, this season is a roller coaster. I have no clue what the hell is going on with Maxine but I'm not liking it. I love, love, love the kind of new dynamic with Fairley and I like the new assistant. I also enjoy the whole Daniel and Grace being unable to find their footing. Good stuff.

Watched an episode of Peak Practice and enjoyed it. I'll have this season finished up this week and should be ready to start season eight.

I started a new MasterClass with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I'm enjoying the way he explains things. Should be a very interesting class.

Finished the first season of Young Wallander and started the second. I gotta say I shouldn't have been surprised with how the first season ended but I was. That said, I loved the opening episode of season two. Kurt is a magnet for strange cases.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. One of my favorites with Grandpa moving out followed by the legend of Satchmo made me really happy. One of the best things about the original show is how much grown-ups could enjoy the episodes right along with the little ones.

Caught two episodes of Chicago Med and, sadly, Will is beginning to annoy the crap out of me. Ethan is probably my favorite doctor even if he's a bit rigid sometimes. Not sure I like where they're taking April, but I'll hold judgment on that front for now.

Watched an episode of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life and I'm down to having one more left. I'll have to decide what to watch next once I finish this series.

I started a new mystery, Loch Ness, and enjoyed the first episode. This one could go either way so I'm hoping it keeps my attention.

Also enjoyed another episode of Blue Heelers and liked it. I do not enjoy Monica but this one seemed to set up some stuff for the future so that might be fun to watch.

Began the Ready Room episodes for the second season of Star Trek: Discovery. Rather enjoyed the first one and I'll look forward to watching more.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Numb, a novella where the characters are in crisis mode and kind of numb to everything going on.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Cyan Fitch and Theron Dibney have a great relationship—hot sex, rock solid friendship, and mutual respect. When a mostly lethal virus tears through their community, the couple works side by side to help as many as possible, but it takes a toll. They can't quite get comfortably numb while they face the devastating losses and neither is willing to bend for fear they'll break.

And a preview snippet…

Theron paced the length of the corridor outside Ciara's lab. The runes barred entrance and anger replaced the numbness he'd carried for months.

His hand slapped against the wall. "I can't and won't let Cyan go." The possibility of losing her wrecked him. "I've got one shot to make this happen."

He astral-projected into the council chambers … unannounced.

The head elder sputtered out an objection. "What do you think you're doing? You can't just barge in here. There are protocols you need to follow."

Theron waved a hand. "I don't have time. Cyan's life hangs in the balance and the answer to the cure is in her mother's lab." He met the elder's gaze. "Remove the runes."

The elder shook his head. "That's not possible. For all we know, Ciara's lab is ground zero. No one gets access." He folded his hands in front of him.

The other sages remained silent, bowing to the elder's decision.

Theron snorted. "Bullshit. Her lab isn't ground zero. This chamber is. And each of you bears the responsibility for the decimation of our people." He paced again, throwing decorum out the window. "The twelve of you are the reason the bio-curse got unleashed." He hoped like hell Ciara's message didn't prove to be wrong.

A collective gasp came from the semicircle, answering that question. They knew. Every damn one of them.

Theron snarled a curse. "It's time to pull your heads out of your asses and face this challenge. Let me get what we need to save lives." Especially Cyan's.

The elder shook his head. "Ciara went rogue and called on the dark arts. We can't risk having the cure tainted with black magick." He cast a glance to his counterparts and they agreed with murmurs of assent.

Theron made a low growl. "No, what you mean is you can't risk the truth coming out. Pretty damn convenient to use Ciara as the excuse to block progress, especially when she turned to unconventional sources to find a cure and they revealed the ugly certainty of your culpability." He got a kick of satisfaction when half the semicircle blanched at his knowledge of their guilt.

A lone female sage slowly rose. "You're using guesswork to fill in blanks. You don't have the whole truth."

The elder snapped. "That's enough, Larkin. You don't have consent to say more."

Theron pushed his advantage. "She doesn't have to. The whole truth doesn't matter when lives are being lost." He moved forward and met the gaze of each council member. "And know this … If you continue to sit back and do nothing, I'll lead the charge to revolt and remove every last one of you from the sanctuary of this chamber. You're not out there trying to save people and helping them bury their dead. I am. Cyan was. And if she dies, nothing will keep the survivors from turning on you." He paused a moment. "Choose wisely and make it fast." The clock continued to tick against Cyan.

After several long moments of telepathic communication, the elder finally inclined his chin. "Access to Ciara's lab is granted. We'll discuss your grandstanding threats once a cure has been found."

Theron gave a nod. "You're damn right we will. I'll look forward to having that conversation." He faded back out and entered Ciara's lab.

There would be a reckoning, all right. And the council would be on the receiving end.

But first, he needed to make sure Cyan lived to help fight that battle.

I love this story and I'm excited about finishing it up. There's something about going through the motions because nothing else can be done until a wake-up call hits hard that appeals to me.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment