Sunday, April 17, 2022

Sunday Snippet: On Ice

To everyone celebrating a holiday, I hope it's incredible and lovely. To everyone not celebrating a holiday, I hope your weekend is incredible and lovely.

Had a crazy-busy week with a lot of distractions. I got a lot of work done but felt like I kept spinning my wheels, mainly because I'd get interrupted and have to review a lot so I didn't miss anything.

Kind of a slow week of television viewing. I watched two episodes of The Snoopy Show and rather enjoyed both. I'll definitely finish the season that's available.

Caught the second episode of Loch Ness and I'm pretty hooked. There's a lot going on and sometimes doesn't feel like anything is related, but I'm pretty sure there's one single thread that will pull everything together.

Watched two more episodes of Silent Witness. I like getting a little more information on Jack's backstory. He's an interesting character but kind of mysterious.

Finished up an arc of Classic Who and started a new one. Seven kind of gets a raw deal and I'm still not quite sure about Mel. The weird way she got introduced kind of throws me off.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Laundry Guy and have to say this is such a cool show. I don't know if they'll do more episodes, but I'm totally in if they do.

Caught another episode of Hawkeye. I'm very interested in how they're exploring the Ronin angle. I haven't watched all the movies yet but I'm kind of current on what happened. Nice to see a little more detail about this aspect of Clint's character.

Watched the first episode of The Hardy Boys second season. A little disappointed they recast Fenton, but I love the actor who's taken on the role. I'm definitely interested in the new mystery and can't wait to watch more.

Started season eight of Peak Practice. A lot of changes with the move to the new building and a great case of the week. Feels like there might be a lot more drama with rescues and stuff this season.

Enjoyed another MasterClass lesson with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Asking questions is something I wish more people did on a regular basis, especially when mis or disinformation is now the standard.

Caught another episode of Young Wallander: Killer's Shadow. Kurt is kind of walking a fine line and I really do not like the new boss and how he's trying to get rid of Rusk. My one hope is Kurt's friendship with Rez better not go up in flames.

Watched another episode of the Ready Room and thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting to know the actress playing L'Rell was a lot of fun.

Enjoyed an episode of Chicago Med and I liked getting to see Daniel's ex-wife. I'm a little confused because it almost seemed like Robin is his only kid, but I'm certain he had another daughter in an earlier season. Maybe I missed something.

Caught another episode of Cuffs and, again, really enjoyed the character dynamics. I'm beginning to like Jo a lot and I'm still not quite certain what the hell the chief detective has going on in his life aside from the horrible relationship with his dad.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from On Ice, a novella that has the main characters at odds over how to handle their current situation.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A battle is brewing between opposing magical factions and Paley Knoff and Birk Southampton are charged with readying their troops. Paley thinks Birk is taking the threat too seriously and when he ignores her in favor of adding more training, she pushes him a little too far, leaving him no choice but to put her on ice until she remembers who's in charge.

And a preview snippet…

Paley stomped into the rooms she mostly shared with Birk. "Damn man can't see the forest for the trees." And he'd probably fell the entire acreage if he thought he could prove a point.

Flopping onto the sofa, she kicked her feet up. At least one other person, namely Mabel, understood how mind-numbing repetition could be. Did anyone actually think Janus would neat and orderly during a battle?

Hell, no.

She had to make Birk see reason.

He entered their space and dropped down into the chair across from her. "That was quite a display earlier." Leaning back, he propped his elbow on the arm. "But you made a valid point."

Her gaze narrowed. "Atwater didn't back me, so it's moot."

Birk tilted his head to one side. "Not like he completely shot you down either. What's really going on with you?" His gaze narrowed as if that would give him the answer.

She rolled her eyes. "Nothing's going on. I'm tired of playing catch-up. We don't have time for anything other than training and teaching." She huffed out a breath. "You've heard of work-life balance, right?" Geez, now she sounded like a bratty child.

Birk straightened. "Ah. I get it now." He slid off the chair and walked on his knees toward the sofa. "Your impatience is double-sided." His hands gripped her thighs. "Why don't we do something to recharge?" He leaned in close, his breath fanning across her cheek.

She shuddered a little. It had been weeks since they'd had time to do more than fall into bed. And … he might be in a better frame of mind to see things from her perspective.

She fisted her hand in his shirt. "What do you have in mind…" Her voice lowered to a husky timbre.

His lips ghosted over her throat. "We'll take the night. Just you and me. No distractions or interruptions." He cupped her face. "We could start with a long shower for round one."

Her blood warmed. "Round one?" She liked the sound of that and let go of his shirt, patting his chest.

Birk nodded. "Absolutely. Followed by at least two more." He eased back and got to his feet then held out his hand.

Paley grasped his palm and rose from the cushions. "I'm gonna hold you to that." She started in the direction of the bathroom with Birk dogging her heels.

The calm before the storm can be a lot of fun and Paley definitely takes advantage.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment