Sunday, March 27, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Nowhere Good

Another busy week with multiple projects on the all burners. I've been doing oracle card readings every morning and, based on what I'm seeing, things won't be slowing down anytime soon. I'm totally okay with that.

We had a few lovely days of spring before winter came roaring back. Two days in the mid-thirties with rain and flurries. Bleh. Then again, when I'm still wearing shorts and flip-flops in October, I'll try to remember being cold in March.

Not a bad week of television viewing. I'm kind of off-schedule, but that happens sometimes. I have a couple of movies and musical specials I want to watch and that might swing things back to my usual show cycle.

I started the week with Star Trek: Discovery and, ugh, I got very emotional. I've got one final episode, I think, of season two and then I might dive into the Ready Room to get some insider details.

Caught two episodes of Chicago Med and I kind of like the tension building between everyone. Sad to see Will and Nat's wedding not happen and I really disliked the FBI agent overseeing him. Not sure how I feel about the whole Rhodes dynamic. But, knowing what I know about what happens later, it'll prove interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Watched two episodes of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. I'm still enjoying the science stuff mixed in with the antics of Snoopy and Woodstock. I'm always kind of in my happy place after I watch the short features.

I liked the Cuffs episode this week. There's a good mix of humor and drama in this show and I enjoy the partner dynamics. The detective stories are a blend of weird and gritty and I like those angles also.

Enjoyed two episodes of Silent Witness. Finished up the second episode of a two-parter and it didn't go in the direction I thought it would. I love when that happens. Started a new two-parter and it's kind of intense, which I like. The detective is a bit of a hard ass and that kind of annoys me, but it's good drama.

I'm almost finished with Classic Who season twenty-three. As expected, the Master made an appearance. I'm a little wobbly on the whole Doctor's darker side thing, but it's an interesting concept and gets a little work-in during the New Who series episodes.

Caught two more episodes of Aliens in Alaska and I like getting a bit of an education about the remote central interior of the state and the smaller towns. The UFO and alien stuff is just gravy.

Watched two more episodes of Muppets Now. This version of the show is growing on me and I like the repeat appearances by a couple of the guest stars along with one or two new ones that pop in. Of course, I love the Muppet Labs field testing, probably my favorite skit of the new version.

Harrow is really amping up the tension. I'm still so angry they killed off one of my favorite characters but I like how it makes Harrow do some soul-searching. I have no clue what the hell Maxine is doing but I hope there's a good reason for it. The one character that annoys me still annoys me so no change there.

Enjoyed another episode of Peak Practice. We're moving into the trauma of the week style and I'm kind of okay with that. There's enough carry through from previous episodes it still feels like the same show. I'm almost finished with season seven and I'm still liking the show.

Finished up MasterClass with Es Devlin. I thoroughly enjoyed her lessons and actually have some good information to apply to my work. Should be starting a new class this week and I'm planning on going with another science series.

Caught two episodes of Young Wallander and, wow, this show hits hard sometimes. I kind of guessed about who really had a hand in the killings and I'm glad that played out the way I thought it would. I won't rule out another twist though. I'm kind of expecting one.

I started season three of Classic Rugrats and watched several episodes. A couple are probably in my top five for this season—at least until I watch more.

Finished up Queens of Mystery with the final Behind the Scenes bonus. I'm actually glad I did watch because I wondered if they'd recast the lead character and they had. I might need to revisit so I have the details straight but the recast is fairly seamless.

Also watched another episode of Blue Heelers and really enjoyed it. Nice to get some additional backstory about Nick. I'm also such a fan of Chrissy and Adam's relationship. I hope that lasts for a while.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Nowhere Good, a novella that takes a couple on a journey to find their happy place.

Here's the mini-blurb:

After wiping out a rival fae faction, Adrian Stock plants a hot kiss on Shaun Henrickton, a fellow enforcer, and their world tilts sideways. They've got custom and ritual, protocol, and baggage between them and if they cave to their baser feelings, the outcome can't go anywhere good.

And a preview snippet…

Shaun's world tilted sideways and spun backward.

I'm kissing Adrian. What the hell is going on?

He didn't care. Her mouth moved under his and his brain fizzled, short-circuited, and fried on contact. Nothing mattered but her lips and his staying together for the foreseeable future.

Geez, she has a hot mouth.

Hot. Fire. Burned. Shit!

Shaun broke the kiss. "Damn. We need to get you looked at and make sure the sirens are okay." He caught one side of her face in his hand. "You're shivering and possibly in shock." Argh … he sounded stupid, didn't he?

Yep. Adrian blinked and her eyes narrowed. She went into shutdown mode.

Fuck. Their timing sucked. He'd give anything to sit her down and figure out what just happened between them.

He shrugged out of his coat and draped it over her shoulders. "Adrian, I'm not sorry that happened. We just need to get out of here and report back." The sirens were vulnerable and his dick could not do the thinking right now.

Adrian tucked her injured arm up close to her chest and tightened his jacket with her good hand. "Fine. Yeah, you're right." She shuddered again.

Pissed off at himself for breaking the intimate moment and ruining a promising start, he wanted to smack himself for being so abrupt. He'd been completely unprepared for the surge of want and need she brought up and out of him. They didn't acknowledge the simmering attraction between them … for too many reasons to count. But the kiss changed everything. At the worst possible time.

She didn't need a slavering idiot right now. She needed comfort, because fire and Adrian did not get along. Funny how being trapped and tortured in a burning building could do that to a person. Not to mention losing a brother in the process. She hated dealing with fire creatures.

Gently, Shaun guided her toward the group of very young men and women gathered in the middle of the parking lot well away from the warehouse. The low hum emanating from the former hostages circled them in waves of calming energy. When Shaun and Adrian approached, the tune changed to a welcoming song.

Shaun paused before going further and met Adrian's gaze. "You good? Probably need about thirty minutes to get the sirens to a safe house." He could go it alone, but didn't want to.

Adrian blinked and squared her shoulders. "I'm solid. Better let me wrangle while you patrol ahead." She schooled her features and slipped her game face on.

Shaun caught the attention of the oldest siren. "Barth?" The guy nodded and Shaun lifted his chin. "We're going to get you to safety. We'll travel on foot to a secure location." He looked over the group. "Is everyone whole? No injuries?"

Everyone shook their heads.

Adrian stepped up. "I'm Adrian and I'll be keeping you shielded from any tracers trying to track you. Shaun is going to scout ahead and make sure we're clear. I'll be in contact with Shaun and all you need to do is keep me in your sight." Moving to stand in the middle of the group, she motioned for them to circle around her. "If I stop, you stop. My shielding will hold and protect you as long as we're all together."

Shaun met Adrian's gaze. "Give me a twenty count then follow. I'll reach out if I encounter anything." Anything else he wanted to say would have to wait.

Adrian inclined her head. "Twenty count. Got it." She muttered an incantation and a ball of light appeared then expanded to surround the group.

When the brightness faded, Shaun started out and made a left out of the parking lot. He'd go up a block then cut through the park—unless something nasty decided to rear its ugly head. Adrian would adjust accordingly if that happened. She knew the routes as well as he did.

She knows everything as well as I do.

Except maybe how to handle the seismic shift that just happened between them.

I love the vibes from this scene. Shaun is all over the map but finally focuses on the work even though he wants nothing more than to take care of Adrian—not that he won't try later.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment