Sunday, March 6, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Not on the Same Page

Man, when it rains, it pours. My workload got intense this week, which I'm not complaining about, more shaking my head in wonderment. I either need to schedule things better or find more hours in the day. LOL

Had a decent week of television viewing even with the added projects. I caught two episodes of Classic Who. I think I'm about halfway through the trial season and it's actually pretty good.

Watched two episodes of The Alaska Triangle. Creatures featured again. I'm fascinated by the legend and lore around the big beasts that strike fear in everyone.

Enjoyed two more episodes of The Muppets. Honestly, I'm close to the end of the season and I'm charmed with the show. Probably good it only had one series, but it's a fun one.

Finished up the first season of Harrow. Gotta admit, I'm a little stunned by how things played out. But what a truly terrific opening season. Can't wait to jump into season two.

Caught an episode of Peak Practice. The new doctor arrived and he's rather interesting. I'll look forward to seeing more of him.

Watched two more lessons of MasterClass with Es Devlin. I quite enjoy listening to her take on how to collaborate with her team and the people they work with. It's very similar to how I approach editing with my authors.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Paranoid. This show is dark and twisty but there's a lot of humor to counter and balance the deep stuff. I'm looking forward to the final episode to see how everything resolves.

Caught two episodes of Classic Rugrats. I love picking up new little things when rewatching the show. And remembering things we picked up from watching the original run and encore episodes.

Watched two more episodes of Chicago Med. Things are getting a bit tense for everyone, which I kind of enjoy. I'm constantly shaking my head at Will, but I love his relationship with Jay. Ethan and April make my brain spin sometimes. Maggie is the most awesome of everyone.

Got in an episode of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. I have fun watching these short jaunts into the Peanuts realm.

Enjoyed another episode of Queens of Mystery. The larger mystery of what happened still looms and it's intriguing to see how the sisters react when Mattie gets close to making discoveries.

I also started another two-part Silent Witness. I have a weird feeling this might be Leo's last appearance. I really dislike the spook dude who's going around pulling strings but being a total ass about it. I hope he goes down in the end.

Finished up the two-part Blue Heelers episode and I'm happy to say it's not Wayne's swan song. At least not yet. Great ending to this storyline.

Star Trek: Discovery keeps ramping up the emotional toll on the characters. It's so, so good. I'll be finishing up the second season soon and diving into Picard's second season. I hope I'm not disappointed. I've never been a big fan of Q.

That's pretty much it for the weekly update. Tonight's post is from Not on the Same Page, a novella that separates a couple in love and leads to dire circumstances for one of the characters.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Irini Domaine loves Nathair Sofen but marries another to fulfill a familial obligation. When she suggests carrying on the relationship with Nathair he coldly refuses, which makes Irini vow to slowly but surely convince him otherwise and unknown to her, her life may depend on the connection with Nathair.

And a preview snippet…

You have no right or claim on my slumber, and that was your choice.

He'd caught her off guard with the accusation and now believed she had no idea she invaded his sleeping hours. How could she not? She had power and skill.

Yet … she also hadn't been herself lately. Not since she'd married Braca.

Nathair didn't know what the hell happened to Irini or why she'd started slipping into his dreams. "Doesn't matter. It can't happen again." He gathered his supplies and entered his attic. "I've gotta put a stop to this."

For his sanity and her protection.

He set up for his ritual and cast a circle then settled and closed his eyes. After whispering an incantation, he meditated, going into deep into his subconscious. Erecting barriers took intense concentration and he needed to create strong ones to keep Iri out.

The construction took almost two hours and when he returned to his conscious state, he slumped forward and reached for his water bottle. After draining it, he slowly got to his feet and made his way to the workspace in the corner. Pulling out the chair, he sank down and exhaled slowly.

He dropped his head into his hands. "Maybe now I can rest easy." Or at least get some sleep.

He wouldn't rest easy as long as Irini remained married to Braca. Her burning the wick at both ends would take a toll.

"Mainly on her." He wouldn't be drawn into the fray anymore.

And by removing himself from her nocturnal influence, she might accept the fate she'd agreed to when she walked down the aisle with Norj.

An ache clenched his heart. "Then I can focus on getting on with my life … without her."

Even if he understood her reason for marrying Braca—and he did on a basic level— cutting her father out of her life meant she'd be completely alone. But he couldn't and wouldn't fall in with her plan to carry on an affair, especially one conducted through a dreamscape. How did she really think visiting him while sleeping could work?

Rising, he crossed over to the door, a weight settling between his shoulder blades. "Good-bye, Iri."

Moving down the steps, he couldn't quite shake the dreadful crawl of foreboding creeping down his spine.

This story took a turn I didn't expect but I love the added layer it wraps around the plot.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment