Sunday, March 20, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Nothing Special

Super-heavy workload this week. I'm actually thrilled to be scheduling on my planner again, color-codes and everything. It's been a while since I've had to use a hard copy for keeping track of my projects. I like being busy.

Had a bit of limited viewing time this week. More so from having a bout of insomnia and taking naps at weird times during the day.

I watched an episode of Star Trek: Discovery and I love how things are coming together. There's been so much packed into this season and I'm amazed by the storytelling. This is such a good show.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. Gotta say Will gets himself into some tricky situations. I'm kind of annoyed with the FBI agent being such a drama queen over everything. Also feel terrible for Rhodes. Between having his dad on the board and the new ED doctor, he's got a lot on his plate.

Caught another episode of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. This is such a great show for young science nerds who love anything to do with space.

Enjoyed another episode of Cuffs. I'm kind of intrigued by the various relationships and I quite like how they intercut the scenes. I'm liking this one.

Watched two episodes of Classic Who. We're getting close to the end of the season and I have sneaky suspicion the Master is going to rear his ugly mug at some point. Should be interesting to see if I'm right.

Finished up season sixteen of Silent Witness and, yep, we lost Leo. So sad to see his end. Kind of wish Harry had come back for that but I loved Nikki's eulogy. Started seventeen and, eh, not sure I like the new guy. Jury is out on that one.

Caught two episodes of Aliens in Alaska. I love getting into what people see and how the experience shapes them afterward. This is a good show.

Started Muppets Now and I kind of like it after watching two episodes. They've brought back some older characters and it's a very updated and modernized variety style. Fun stuff.

Watched two more episodes of Harrow and, dammit, they killed off one of my favorites. I'd actually like to see one of the other characters go but won't hold my breath on that one. I really enjoy the dynamic between Harrow and Fairley's niece. The blending of the case of the week and overarching mystery works well with this show.

Got an episode of Peak Practice in and it was a sad one but with other happy moments woven in. Loved the ending with the new doctor grieving with Joanna.

Caught two more MasterClass lessons with Es Devlin. I love how she covers scope when she talks about design. She's done some very interesting work and I'm learning a lot from watching her classes.

Watched two episodes of Young Wallander. It's a little uncanny how closely the plot line mirrors stuff going on right now and this show is set in Sweden. I love the lead in this one. He's understated and quiet but actually kind of funny and deep also.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. I should be close to the end of season two and getting ready to start on three. I love revisiting this show. I'm pretty sure they leave out a few of the best episodes when they run encores of this.

Caught a bonus short for Queens of Mystery. The recap of season one had some pings that I'll look forward to playing out in season three, especially the ones that weren't solved in season two.

Last but not least, I watched another episode of Blue Heelers. An interesting dive into coming home after being gone for a long time and how some people don't wear or show their feelings for everyone to see.

That's pretty much it for this week's life update. Tonight's post is from Nothing Special, a sexy short with characters who become more than friends after exchanging small gifts that are supposed to be tokens of appreciation but end up being so much more.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Masha Tuck and Ryce Reynoldson work tirelessly around the winter solstice to help provide a meaningful celebration to their fae and non-fae neighbors. Masha uncovers the perfect gift for Ryce—just a book, nothing special—but if she gives it to him, it'll add depth to their weird relationship and she's not sure she's ready for them to be a thing.

And a preview snippet…

Ryce scrambled quickly to think of something that wouldn't send her running.

Tapping the book, he got up. "Next should be trying one of the recipes, or more than one. I'm well stocked. Let's have dinner." He thumbed through the book and found a one-skillet main dish.

Masha rose and followed him. "Dinner? As in a sit at a table and eat kind of thing?" Her head tilted to one side and her gaze drifted someplace far away.

Ryce gave a nod. "I know. It's a strange concept to consider, since we're usually grabbing something on the go and stuffing our faces in between stops." He couldn't remember the last time he'd sat down to eat. "Yeah, we'll share a meal … see if the world implodes or anything."

Masha laughed. "You truly get me, don't you?" Pulling out a chair, she settled behind the island separating the kitchen and dining nook. "The whole having a moment with you shakes my foundation." Turning the brooch over in her hands, her lips quirked.

Ryce propped the book open and started pulling out ingredients. "How about you read the instructions and I'll do the hard part." He chuckled when she stuck her tongue out.

Tucking the brooch into her shirt pocket, she spun the text toward her. "Fine. Also a wise choice. My culinary skills go as far as opening a box of cereal and pouring milk over it." She flipped through the pages, keeping her place with her finger. "Hey, this dressing looks kind of yummy." She read off the ingredients.

Ryce opened a cabinet. "I'll make it. I've got the stuff." He pulled out more items and added them to the counter. "See if there's anything appealing for dessert. Maybe something with apples."

She found a recipe for a buckwheat tart and mentioned having something similar when her grandmother used to visit.

He got everything started and roped Masha into helping by cutting up apples and showing her how to whisk the dressing. By the time he had the food ready, she'd set the table, poured water into the glasses, and spooned salad into bowls.

He carried the main dish to the table and nodded for her to grab the dressing.

She sat across from him, inhaling deeply. "Mmmm. Smells divine." Draping a napkin across her lap, she then drizzled dressing over the greens mix.

Ryce dished up the main course and had to agree—the mix of herbs and spices tantalized his senses. "Dig in." He motioned for her to get started.

She shook her head. "Nope. If we're sharing the moment, we need to synchronize our tasting." She scooped some of the food onto her fork and waited until he did the same. "To good food and home-cooked meals." Raising her utensil, she made a toasting gesture.

Ryce laughed. "Here-here." He lifted his fork then carefully timed taking a bite with her movements.

Masha's eyes slid closed and she moaned. "Oh my. This is excellent." Chewing, she gave a nod.

Ryce agreed. The old-world blend had just the right amount of flavor and didn't overwhelm his taste buds. He couldn't wait to try more recipes.

Halfway through another bite, he swallowed and met her gaze. "Thank you. Seriously. I'll be using the book as often as I can."

She smiled. "You're welcome." She glanced away and tucked back into her meal.

Ryce didn't attempt more conversation. Not yet. But he planned to engage her after they finished because he didn't want the evening to end.

I love the quiet depth of feeling between Ryce and Masha. This is a fun story to write.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment