Sunday, October 16, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Rapier's Edge

I should not have made a joke about having snow before Halloween in my last post. Apparently, there's a chance we might have some in the early part of the week. If it happens, it'll probably be a dusting and won't last long, but, geez, I'm not quite ready to drag out my cold-weather clothes yet.

Had a good week with my work projects and made a tiny bit of progress on my future endeavor. I also got some writing time in, which makes me happy. I have some home projects that need attention this week so I might not have as much time to write as I'd like.

Had a decent viewing week and made a full circuit through my usual programs. Caught the first season finale of Ted Lasso and I'm excited to start season two this week.

Watched the second episode of Suspects and enjoyed the twists this one took. I like the cast and characters and the pacing is excellent. Definitely going to continue watching this one.

Finished up series five of Endeavor and loved where things ended up. I'm looking forward to starting series six this week.

Caught the second part of Silent Witness and, whew, what a ride. I loved how twisted up everything got before the final act. Considering I'm in season twenty, it's nice to still love this show.

Watched the final part of Classic Who's arc with Leftbridge-Stewart. Thoroughly enjoyed for the most part. Should be starting a new multi-part arc this week.

Started Sci-Fi Science and liked the first episode. I've seen bits and pieces of this show and I'm excited to watch it through from start to finish.

Loved the second episode of Ms. Marvel. I have a feeling this will end up being one of my favorite Marvel shows. The characters are a lot of fun.

Caught the penultimate episode of Only Murders in the Building and, wow, it blew my mind in the best possible way. I can't wait to see the finale this week.

The Umbrella Academy had a great episode. Things are coming together and I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out in the next episode. I did not think Klaus would end up being one of my favorite characters but he totally is. I love him in all his screwed up glory.

Watched the second episode of Star Trek: Discovery in season three. I'm glad to have everyone back together, but it's always nice to see the crew shine under Saru's leadership.

Also caught another episode of Batman: The Animated Series. This one featured the Joker again and it might be sacrilegious but he's my favorite Mark Hamill character of all time.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Rapier's Edge, a novella that starts with the main characters thinking the other one killed their mentor.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Wen Buxton, a fae agent, finds Jacob Franklin standing over a dead body. He resists her siren call and refuses to answer questions during her interrogation. Wen has a sneaking suspicion all isn't what it seems with the covert mercenary.

And a preview snippet…

Bury my friend…

Jacob barely contained his anger and disbelief. She had to be playing him. Havish would never support her method of striking first. He always taught to seek and understand both sides of a conflict before taking action.

His captor tried a different tactic. "Dammit, I don't want to play hardball with you." She straightened and ran a hand through her stick-straight hair. "I don't like using my call to cause harm. But it's that or I take you in and let the docs do their thing." Her shoulders twitched with a shudder.

A piece of the mystery clicked into place.

She either worked for the Council of Fae Affairs or some kind of sinister organization that liked to exploit the fae. He'd have to push to find out which.

Moving his gaze back to the wall, he snorted. "Do your worst, sweetheart." He hoped his brain and body could handle it.

She growled low in her throat then let loose with a wailing cry. Her pull carried strength but Jacob doubled down—just as his grandmother taught him—and managed to suffer through the sound waves.

She finally ended the song and almost collapsed, sinking to her knees on the concrete floor.

Dragging in air, she glanced up. "Who the hell are you?" Her eyes were narrowed in frustration and maybe a little awe.

Jacob smirked. "No one you want to know." To keep her off guard, he began a shift, choosing the form of a bird.

Free from her restraints—and his clothes—he soared up into the rafters of the warehouse. Her startled gasp rose up to join him and a perverse pleasure filled his mind. He flew back down to land in front of her and changed back, reaching for his fatigues.

She didn't look away from him when he jammed his feet into the pants and tugged them up.

Her gaze drifted upward when she stood. "Are you zeta or gamma?" Referring to his status as a shifter.

Zetas had packs. Gammas didn't.

Not inclined to answer, he yanked his shirt over his head. "I've had enough of this. I suggest you take me to whoever you work for." The faster he discovered who wrote her paychecks the sooner he could mourn his friend.

 She tilted her head to one side. "And if I don't?" Her brow rose in a challenge.

Jacob shrugged. "I tie you up and leave you here. Doesn't matter to me." It did, but she didn't need to know how much. "I'm going to find out who killed Havish and you better hope it's not you." He didn't see the uppercut coming when it landed under his chin to snap his head back.

Damn. His teeth gnashed together.

She set her jaw and snarled. "I didn't kill him, asshole. That man raised me from the age of four." Pain laced her voice and she whirled past him, stalking to the metal door leading outside. "You coming or what?" She exited the building without waiting for a reply.

Jacob learned two more things.

She loved Havish as much as he did … and she packed a hell of a punch.

I have a lot of love for this story and I'm so close to having it complete! I'm hoping to have it ready to release early next year.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment