Sunday, March 12, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Storm Down the Drain

Very busy week with work projects and client calls. My youngest was also in the UK over her spring break for a study abroad program. She's back in the States today.

Weather is all over the place, which is typical for March. We had sunny and warm followed by chilly and rainy, followed by brrrrr! and some flurries. I can't wait to see what the next two or three weeks brings to the playing field.

Had an okay week for television. I didn't get back on my regular schedule, but I did get a few things watched.

Started out with some Classic Rugrats. Only watched one episode but enjoyed it. I always like the episodes where Angelica is bested by the babies.

Watched another episode of Midsomer Murders. I'm kind of bummed Barnaby's degree in psychology isn't a thing anymore. I enjoyed that aspect in the first few seasons of John's tenure.

I finished an episode of Endeavor and enjoyed it. Glad to be back into this show. I'm a few seasons behind but I'll get caught up eventually.

Caught another episode of Classic Who. This one started a new arc and I'm excited to see where it goes. There might have been a hint about Ace's mom and I want to see if pans out.

Completed season twenty of Silent Witness. Really liked how the episode played out and I'm interested in how Nikki and Jack deal with the fallout of their trip to Mexico.

Watched another episode of Strangest Things. A couple of interesting features in this one, especially the bat bomb that destroyed an entire air force base.

Also started a new episode of The Mandalorian. I'll finish it up later today while I prep for the new season.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Storm Down the Drain, a novella where the characters play a cat and mouse game with their adversary and fall for each other in the process.

Here's the mini-blurb:

On a dark and stormy night, Brooks Algonquin knocks on Velvet Strong's door and asks her to help him find the Burmesian Raven, an antiquity with magical qualities. Velvet takes his case, but quickly learns Brooks has ulterior motives for acquiring the artifact stolen from his family.

And a preview snippet…

Velvet dressed with care for her assignation with Brooks Algonquin. "When I play a role, I go all out." She zipped the back of her dress up.

A shopping excursion scored several new outfits, all slinky and sultry in a range of colors. Her shoe problem—she could never have too many—allowed her to choose from a wide array of options. She settled on a pair of violet peep-toe platform pumps to complement the lilac sequined sheath with fringe along the hemline.

Slipping them on, she admired the rhinestone accents on the shoes. "A little shimmer will keep my legs as a focal point." She also selected a knotted necklace of sparkling crystals. "The glistening gleam begs a man's gaze to linger on my decolletage." A matching pain of earrings finally drew attention to her face and eyes, which she'd done in smoky purples and grays.

She'd gone heavier on the color than normal, mainly to be convincing as something of a coquette. Her cases didn't often require her to flirty and she rather looked forward to bantering with Brooks.

She added a spritz of perfume—a freesia scent with deep caramel undertones. The floral aroma lasted a long time but didn't overpower. The caramel added weight and kept the flowery vibe from being too sweet.

Checking her appearance one last time, she grabbed a silver clutch and draped a white velveteen stole around her shoulders then headed to meet Brooks at Jumpin' Joes, the little bistro with a jazzy sound.

Halfway down to the ground floor, she smiled. "I hope Brooks likes to dance." The tiny floor allowed for several couples to sway along to the live singer's performance.

She'd own wanting to be in his arms—but only because the action would add to their guise of a chance meeting turning into something more.

And the something more element added a layer of danger that appealed to her.

I'm having so much fun writing this story! Velvet is a terrific character with a mind and will that more than matches Brooks's.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment