Sunday, March 5, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Still of the Night

March entered the room with some wild weather, which isn't a big surprise. Still having the back and forth chilly then warm and lots of rain and wind. I expect nothing less from my birth month.

 

Got a lot accomplished on my work projects. I have a new one coming in sometime in the next week or two and I'm looking forward to jumping into another new one this week.

 

Didn't get a lot of television watched this week, but I got a few episodes in.

 

Finished up The Mandalorian episode I started and thoroughly enjoyed it. My brother used to be obsessed with the sand people so it's fun to see them in action in this episode.

 

My Battlestar Galactica rewatch continued with "Act of Contrition." So many great moments in this episode and the acting is stellar. For a show that came out twenty years ago, I have vivid memories of watching this for the first time.

 

I also caught another episode of Only Murders in the Building. I kind of love where they're taking things at the moment. It'll be hard to top the first season for me, but I'm excited to see how this plays out. I'm really hoping it holds up.

 

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Still of the Night, a novella that brings an uptown guy and a downtown girl together for a money-making venture.

 

Here's the mini-blurb:

 

Salem Rhys has the perfect recipe for brewing dark lager, a potent alcohol that will go over huge at the mage academy … but doesn’t have the know-how or equipment to create the concoction. Jared Meyer, a tech genius, can definitely help her out. Salem falls hard for her business partner but considers him out of her league until Jared proposes more than a money-making venture.

 

And a preview snippet…

 

Salem pulled into the small parking lot a bit wistful about stopping the hot and sexy action yesterday. But she also kind of appreciated Jared's pull back. Jumping into something intimate when this whole idea could go belly up would be a stupid thing to do.

Grabbing her supplies, she popped her door. "Not that stupid can't be fun."

She entered the warehouse only to be met by a man who paced around muttering under his breath.

He caught sight of her and tossed up a hand. "Bah. A piece of ass. I should've known." The look he gave her condemned her on the spot.

Her temper lit, she dropped her bags on the counter. "Excuse me? I'm no one's piece of ass." Although she could have been if Jared hadn't stopped yesterday.

The gentleman gave a rude snort. "You will be soon enough. Jared's got Meyer blood running through his veins."

And yet, Jared didn't act like a raging asshole, unlike crankypants old guy. Angry beyond rational thought, she conjured a fireball, but the old man easily deflected it. He sent her a scathing look.

Salem snarled. "Who the hell are you?" He had about half a second to confirm her worst suspicion.

The man straightened his jacket. "Jarvis Meyer. Jared's grandfather. I came down to see what he was so all fired up about." He rolled his eyes. "I'm disappointed to see he's still thinking with his dick."

Salem almost laughed. "You're so wrong about that." Growing angrier by the moment, she threw down the gauntlet. "And you know what? Get out. You're not welcome here." At this rate, he never would be.

Jarvis looked down his nose. "You can't order me out of a building I paid for."

Salem arched her brows. "Really? Okay then." She built up several fireballs, adding a hex to all four. "Since money is all that matters to you … I'll hit you where it hurts." She launched the flaming orbs, hurtling them to the four corners of the building.

Grabbing her precious book of magick, she spun and started for the door. Mr. Jarvis the asshat could suck donkey balls for all she cared. And Jared could wait in line behind him.

Except … he probably deserved better from her.

Halfway to the exit, she stopped. "You know, if Jared was only thinking with his dick, he could've fucked me and taken my only possession." She held the book up. "Instead, he offered a partnership and put in as much time as I have. If you ask me ... he's the one with brains and foresight." Turning back, she made her way to the door and crashed into Jared on the way out.

He grasped her arms. "What's going on? What happened?"

Swallowing the lump in her throat, she pulled away from him. "If you want to salvage anything, the release spell word is hierarchy." Head high, she sailed past him and didn't look back.

I love Salem and her take-no-prisoners attitude. Thankfully, Jared does also!



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment