Sunday, March 19, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Take a Walk on the Wild Side

It's been an eventful weekend. On Friday night at my daughter's university campus, an individual fired multiple shots at a baseball game. Thankfully—and it pains me to say this at all because it shouldn't be anyone—only one person, a player for the opposing team, and the alleged target of the shooter, sustained non-life-threatening injuries. The suspect is already in custody and has already been charged by the county prosecutor for attempted murder and felonious assault, both charges have firearm specifications. I'm very happy no one else was physically injured and I'm terribly sorry for the opposing team's player and their family. It's a lot to endure.

It's a lot to endure for everyone. The university staff, baseball team, students, the local community, and the opposing college, their staff, team, and students now have a shared experience with, unfortunately, too many others. I'm so happy my daughter wasn't anywhere near the baseball field when this occurred and I'm very happy the other players are okay. Like I said, an eventful weekend.

On top of that, I had a full week of work projects and made good progress on all of them.

I also got some television in. I didn't have a chance to do my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica, but we're on the schedule for next week.

I did finish up The Mandalorian. Ended up enjoying the episode a lot.

Also watched Only Murders in the Building. I have a working theory on who the killer will be and I can't wait to see if I'm right.

Caught another episode of Pennyworth and I like how this show is coming together. Looking forward to finishing out the season.

Started Wednesday, based on recommendations from a bunch of my viewing friends. Loved the first episode and look forward to more.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Rugrats and I think I actually watched on I missed during the thousands of times we watched this when the kids were growing up. Kind of happy to have that happen.

Caught another episode of Midsomer Murders. Loved this one and laughed out loud a couple of times. I guess one more episode to finish out the season.

Watched another episode of Peak Practice and enjoyed it. I'm at the midway point for season nine and getting more familiar with the new faces.

Started a new episode of Classic Who and should finish it up later tonight.

That's pretty much it for the life updated this week. Tonight's post is from Take a Walk on the Wild Side, a follow-up to Long Time No See in a series that hasn't been named yet.

Here's the mini-blurb:

After dealing with repercussions from the Vallas clan, Val Janison steps into a leadership role he's not thrilled to have. Jonni Mars works behind the scenes as a liaison between the three ruling families and tries to broker a peaceful resolution. In the middle of everything, the couple makes an attempt to keep their relationship solid … with mixed results.

And a preview snippet…

Jonni Mars strode up the long lane leading to the home the love of her life lived in. "Seriously, Val, I hate coming to this monstrosity of a house." But … if the mountain wouldn't come to her or however that saying went.

She missed him and she would get some alone time with him … even if she had to bribe Anton Benoit, the manservant Val inherited when his grandfather passed into the next realm.

She snorted. "Right. Anton's unimpeachable. And part of the reason I haven't seen Val in almost a week." The righthand man ran Val's schedule with a firm grip.

Instead of heading to the huge double front doors, Jonni ducked around the side of the house and made her way to the service entrance and let herself in.

The huge room with floor to ceiling shelves on one wall and a long counter with a sink and cupboards above and below on the other currently lacked activity of any kind. Jonni thanked whatever ruled the universe she didn't have to interact with any of the staff. Yet…

She went straight for the narrow wall with several panels and pressed the button for Val's office.

He responded right away. "Yes?" The sound of shuffling papers filtered through.

Jonni rolled her eyes. "Val? Can you work me into your schedule today?"

He made a surprised noise. "Jonni? Where the hell are you?"

She glanced around again. "Uh, the butler's pantry? I'm making an assumption here." The food staples on the shelves and the array of trays and linens gave her a clue.

Val tsked. "Why did you come in through the service entrance? You should be entering through the main doors."

Jonni snorted. "No way. Too many people monitor the comings and goings through there. And I'm not here on official business. I'm here to—"

Val cut in. "Make my day? Stay there. I'll be right down." He cut the communication.

Jonni shrugged and did some exploring, poking around in the cabinets. Most were filled with glassware and dishes. One held multiple bottles of alcohol, no doubt used to restock the bars throughout the house. One cupboard had pull-out shelves with so much flatware her eyes bugged out.

Shaking her head, she shut the door. "Who needs that much silverware?" The leader of the Janison family obviously.

Arms came around her and lips nuzzled her throat. "Not everyone can manage with one or two of everything, even it's more efficient."

Jonni's grumpy mood dissipated and she turned in Val's arms. "Efficiency is simple and clean, considering how much time I spend cleaning up other people's messes." She tugged him closer.

Val's lips curved. "But not today, right? Unless it's maybe limited to my bedroom…" His head lowered and he caught her lips in a hot, steamy kiss.

Jonni sank into the embrace. Now, this was worth the trek out here…

This is a fun series and I hope to work more books in. Jonni and Val have a lot of things they can explore.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment