Sunday, April 2, 2023

Sunday Snippet: A Tantalizing Yule (a Holiday Spirit short)

An interesting start to April with howling winds and a kaleidoscope of weather. We got a mix of pretty much everything. Rain, flurries, high wind advisory, and temperatures all over the place.

Solid week of editing. I have three projects that are moving forward at a great pace. I'm looking forward to getting these completed.

Had a decent week of television. I'm not quite back to my full rotation but I've been writing a lot more and that's not a bad thing.

Caught another episode of Wednesday. I love the lore and world building in this show. Didn't know if I'd like having Wednesday at the center of a prophecy but I like where things are going at the moment.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. Always fun to catch a couple that don't always make the rotation of encores.

Enjoyed the finale of Midsomer Murders. I kind of miss when they did six to eight episodes per season, but the four we have this time around are all excellent.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with "Six Degress of Separation." This episode has so many great one-liners with two coming from Doc Cottle. Seriously, it's hard to top the writing and acting in this show.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice and it ended up being a bit of a doozy. I think I have five episodes left of this series and a lot is supposed to happen. Not sure I'm quite ready for it.

Watched another episode of Classic Who. I'm nearing the end of this season and I'm not sure where things are going with this arc, but I'm excited to find out.

Started the second half of Silent Witness. Nikki just can't catch a break. I'm quite interested in finding out where the twists are leading. Update next week on this.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from A Tantalizing Yule, a holiday spirit short.

Here's the mini-blurb:

During the Yule season, Ginger Radiance, a holiday spirit, has to get Regina Royal, a sexy sprite, under the same roof with Fakhir Frenum, a studly spook. The two have a clash of wills, creating a massive snowstorm that leaves them stranded … plenty of time to let the holiday work its magick on the wary enemies.

And a preview snippet…

Regina Royal flopped down on her sofa. "Argh, no, I can't. I really can't." She crossed her fingers to negate the little bitty lie she just told.

She literally could not do another party. She needed a break and maybe some quiet time. And none of her sprite community would understand she didn't crave being the life of the party all the time.

Regina sighed. "No, no. I'm not going to Swell's shindig over yours." Swell Harrington, a fellow sprite, threw the best soirees, which irritated Harley Knowles to no end. "Look, Harley, it's been nonstop happenings since All Souls. Even I need a night off now and again." And how. "Yes, Harley, I'll make your next get together. I promise." She ended the call.

Never let it be said Regina Royal didn't commit to being the queen of all things fun. But someone—anyone else—deserved to have a moment in the spotlight. Because I'm exhausted.

So exhausted.

And quite frankly a little worried about her lack of spirit. Then again, no one ever asked after her. They didn't wonder if she'd had a good day, week, or month. Nope. Everyone called on Regina to liven up their lives. Honestly, considering she spent the bulk of her time being surrounded by so many people, she shouldn't feel so lonely.

Her phone rang again, and she refused to answer. No doubt another sprite wanted her to put in an appearance.

"How did I get to be the go-to person for party cred?"

Okay, stupid question. Her antics were legendary. But, geez, couldn't someone else dance on tables and drink cocktails out of a pair of heels?

"Not like I've got a moratorium on creativity."

Swell came close. But if he didn't host the fete, he tended to be the snark master instead of a fun guy.

Her head lolled back on the cushion, and she heaved a sigh. Her phone's notification went off again. She muted the volume.

"Argh, this is crazy!" The air shifted around her directly before her doorbell rang.

Rising, she went to answer and discovered what caused the ripple in reality. An envelope hovered outside. She grabbed the packet and opened it … almost afraid to find yet another invitation to yet another party.

"Ohh … not a party…" She scanned the parchment-lined card.

When you need a break from the endless balls…

But you can't escape the next round of calls.

Pack your bags and slip away…

For a solitary soiree.

To make the holiday shine bright…

Slip through the veil after midnight.

The mysterious sender provided the location of the Goodacre Bed and Breakfast with instructions to arrive later that night.

Thrilled beyond belief, Regina got just what she needed. "Oh, hell, yes. This is perfect." She got up and headed for her bedroom. "Won't need much. I have no one to impress…" And she loved the idea of packing light.

This story is a lot of fun. There might be a name change for one of the characters, but I love the vibe of this group.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment