Sunday, May 28, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Turning the Tide (a Black Raven Banner novella)

I can't believe we're at the end of May already. The year is flying by a lot faster than I want it to. Then again, it's been busier than usual for me, so time is kind of relative right now.

Had a great week with work projects. I'm making steady progress on both and still enjoying them. It's so much fun when you love the work.

Had a somewhat limited viewing week. I'm trying to figure out the whole HBOMax is Max now and, oh, yeah, it includes Discovery+. I have both so I have to figure it all out. I won't be paying twice for the same thing.

I watched a double-header of Battlestar Galactica with the second and third episodes of season two. I can't say enough about how strong the first ten episodes are. This show rarely missed in the first two seasons.

Also caught another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I have so much love for this show. It also makes me happy when people pop back up. I kind of miss a few of the original recurring characters but it's nice to have the continuity this show tries for.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Who. I think I might have one or two left to finish out the classic run of episodes. Not sure if I'll start a new rewatch of the New Who or not, but I'm excited for the new doctor and the anniversary specials.

I'll be starting the second part of Silent Witness this week. I'm also going to change up how I do my viewing. I normally scroll through my streaming services and watch one show from each, but that hasn't been cutting it lately. I think I'll start watching whatever strikes my interest and go from there.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Turning the Tide, a Black Raven Banner novella.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Verity and Emory have to balance the personal with the professional when they're back at Black Raven command. They're tasked with taking out a crucial enemy stronghold by exploiting a vulnerable weakness. The removal of the base will give the allied forces a way into the heart of enemy territory. Just when they think they're ready to go, Verity's ace fighter pilot dad shows up to see his daughter … and meet the man who wants her—Emory Cavendish.

And a preview snippet…

Emory wished for another R and R furlough. "The lack of interruptions were a plus." He finished buttoning his shirt and entered the briefing area.

Worthington greeted him. "Your French connection paid off. Word just came through." He retrieved a box of simulation props from the cupboard.

Emory quirked a brow. "Troop movement?" The resistance had been busy.

Worthington nodded when more people filed into the room. Verity, a large mug of coffee in her hand, strolled in behind Percy. She took a spot on the wall, letting the guys gather around the table.

Worthington called the meeting to order. "All right, now that we have everyone, here's the main point." He unfurled a large map and spread it on the table. "The enemy forces are starting to move around the first base Cavendish located. We've got orders to plan an air attack." His hand motioned to allied territory. "Ground forces are going to move out within forty-eight hours with an estimated arrival sometime late in the week." He paused and pinned Emory with his gaze. "I'm assigning Cavendish and Jones as leads on this, but everyone needs to work the table." His focus switched to Verity.

She came forward and eased up to Emory, her gaze sweeping the mock-up of hand-drawn locations. She shot a glance toward Emory then nodded. She wanted him to take the lead.

He picked up a model representing a troop transport vehicle. "Let's start with where the ground forces will be." He placed the truck on the map surface.

For the next two hours they plotted, arranged, planned, discarded, and finally got a working operation hashed out. Emory nudged Verity and she put the final plane on the board. The one she'd be flying.

She stepped back. "Okay, does everyone understand their role for this mission?" All heads nodded.

She swept the pieces off the table and slid a sideways glance toward Worthington.

He chuckled and lifted his chin. "Good, let's go through it one more time. Jones, why don't you get us started."

Emory picked up the transport and handed it to Verity.

A voice from the back of the room called out. "What the ever-loving hell is my daughter doing knee-deep in a briefing?"

All heads turned and a line of pilots shuffled to obscure the table from the intruder's sight. The man stood with his feet planted in black leather boots and his hands fisted at his side. Emory recognized him; had seen his stern countenance in photographs many times. Victor "Ace" Jones.

Verity's father.

Well, hell.

This is the concluding book to the Black Raven Banner—if the name doesn't change again—series and I'm so happy with how it's coming together.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment