Sunday, May 21, 2023

Sunday Snippet: The Truth Hurts

Greetings! It's been another busy week and I'm still excited about my ongoing projects. They're completely different genres and it's fun to have that variety while working.

Somewhat limited viewing week again. I've been in a place where background noise is more distracting than helpful, which occasionally happens. I notice it more on day when I didn't get solid sleep the night before.

I did catch most of Pennyworth. I have the last act of the episode to watch. This show is dark in all the ways I like shows to be. And I love getting to see Alfred actually grieve. And having Ripper be the catalyst that pulls him out is kind of a master stroke. Such a great show!

Also continued my Battlestar Galactica rewatch. We started season two and the first ten episodes are so terrific. The second half of the season is also excellent, but I remember so much about those first ten.

That's pretty much it for the life update. I am hoping to get some gardening in this week so stay tuned.

Tonight's post is from The Truth Hurts, a novella that brings a couple back together after one receives bad news.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Mardi Darr discovers her current lover is an enemy agent with an enchanted chip in his head. She gives the okay for a risky surgery, and it lands him in a submersion chamber with no brain activity. Heth Santiago is responsible for Mardi being with Staz and he needs to help Mardi accept the truth … even though it hurts like a bitch.

And a preview snippet…

Halfway through the second bottle of Abernath, Mardi finally chewed through her chaotic feelings. "I'm not pissed about the surgery, you know. I enjoyed Staz's company, and he was there when I needed someone, but … I ruined a man's life." And she loved Heth.

Always would—even if the stupid man thought she didn't know her own mind.

Heth set his empty glass aside. "Hence the reason you're here, drinking to soothe the hurt." He gave a nod of understanding. "What do you want to do after getting stupid drunk?" Leaning back in his chair, he arched his brows.

She shrugged. "Not sure, but planning revenge sounds pretty good." She'd take on every sorcerer on the planet if she could.

Heth grunted. "Want some help?" He straightened and poured another shot.

She nearly choked on her surprise. "Why? You don't even like Staz." A fact he'd made clear more than once.

Heth leaned in close. "Liking him has nothing to do with wanting to help. I love you."

Her mouth dropped open. "You can't say that to me. Not now." She shook her head, even while she wanted to bask in his words.

Heth downed his shot. "Yeah, my timing sucks. But I realized how stupid I was right after you got together with Staz." He pinned her with his gaze. "And I wouldn't get in the way of what you two had going on."

She huffed out a breath. "Which turned out to be nothing. Or did you miss the part where they used him as a pawn?" Somehow that fact did nothing to ease her guilt.

Heth shook his head. "I definitely didn't miss that part. But Staz being a pawn rests on my shoulders as much as yours."

Because he walked away. He didn't have to say the words. His meaning came through every with crystal clarity.

Her shoulders slumped. "I want to hate you so much right now." But she'd never be able to.

Heth inclined his chin. "I know. And I don't blame you. But I will help you seek justice for Staz. I owe both of you that much." He nudged the Abernath toward her.

She shoved the bottle aside. "You know what? I'm gonna put everything on the table here. We will get payback for Staz. But we can't do that until you and I work out your issues with us being a couple." She settled back. "So start talking."

This story is making me happy. I like messy characters because they're fun to write.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment