Monday, May 8, 2023

Sunday Snippet: A Timely Distraction

Finally have a little bit of spring weather, which is a nice change from the cold and dreary yuck of last week. Taking the doggos out won't be as much of a chore and they like it when the temperatures are mild.

Super, super busy work week. I dropped a quick copy edit in for a healthcare workbook and managed to get the revisions reviewed and back to the author in record time. Might have a few tweaks left, but otherwise that project is in the books.

Also completed a clean copy return for a romance novel that I thoroughly enjoyed. I've been lucky enough to edit the whole series and I'm excited for more!

Finished up a full copy edit on a novel and have the file ready for author review. I'll be forwarding it later today and I'm excited to finish book one so we can jump into book two. This is a fun series to work on.

Also finished up a manuscript evaluation for a new adult novel and I can't wait to work on this series with the author. I love the concept and the characters are messy and fun, which is what I like in the new adult genre.

All those projects didn't leave a lot of time for television this week, which I'm actually okay with. When projects are fun and interesting, I fall right into work mode and enjoy what I do so much!

I did finish up The Mandalorian. This episode ended up being terrific. Ahsoka's introduction and her interaction with Grogu topped my favorite moments. Having the Mandalorian and Jedi working together also made things interesting. I love this show.

I started the next episode of Only Murders in the Building but didn't get to finish. I'll probably watch the rest later tonight.

Also missed my weekly rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. We're doing a double-header for the last two episodes of season one and I didn't have the chunk of time needed to do that this week. Bummer.

My daughter also finished up this semester of college and came home this weekend. She'll be here about a month before heading off to Michigan for a paid internship in a summer stock theater. So excited for her!

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from A Timely Distraction, a novella with a fairytale vibe.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Donahue Stuart, prince and heir to his father's throne, longs for grand adventures, but danger lurks from raiders and marauders, out for royal blood. Enter Lady Vivian, daughter of the king's oldest friend, and a kindred spirit who shows Hue he can have all the magnificent escapades he wants, right in his own realm.

And a preview snippet…

Hue tucked Vivian's hand around his elbow. "Your ingenuity amazes me. How did you come up with the idea to lure the guard to the front gates while we snuck out the back?" He paused at a vendor's table.

Vivian smiled. "Practice. But you'll only be able to pull that off once or twice a year." Damon didn't hire idiots to guard his only son.

They spent the day strolling through the markets, making purchases, mainly small trinkets and baubles. Vivian loved the freedom to mingle with the villagers. She'd found a lovely gray servant's dress made from the softest cotton with plain buttons and a simple sash attached at the waistline. Hue wore sturdy black pants and a homespun shirt in shades of red and gray. He'd added a low-fitting hat that hid part of his face to avoid being easily recognized. Viv admired the fit of his attire. The man made whatever he had on look incredible.

Hue nudged her shoulder. "Are you hungry? Would you mind eating here in the village or would you rather go back to the castle?" He glanced around and nodded toward an inn.

Vivian nodded. "Here sounds wonderful." She paid for her purchase then handed the card to Hue. "A rendition of the hawthorn tree and a memento of today." She hoped he would understand the significance.

Hue grinned. "It's perfect. Whenever I look at it, I'll think of you, the lady of Hawthorne Manor." He slipped the card into his shirt pocket. "Thank you."

Vivian's lips quirked. "You're welcome." She fell into step beside him, and they made their way to the dining area of the inn.

After they finished two dinners of stew and crusty rolls, Hue asked for two stout ales. Vivian loved how he didn't insist she drink something different from him. He lifted his mug and gave her a silent toast.

She raised hers. "To a day well spent."

Hue nodded. "To a day well spent." He drained half the mug.

Vivian followed suit and relished the comfortable hazy glow the alcohol provided.

Hue settled back, relaxing with his ale. "So, I've been curious all day. Why are you at the palace?" He crossed his leg over his opposite knee.

Vivian chuckled a little. "Well, the earl sent me to stay until my latest suitor debacle dies down." She took a large sip of her brew. "I refused one of his important cronies." The beer soured on her tongue when she thought about Wally.

Hue's eyebrows arched. "Did he have bug eyes or some other disfigurement?"

Viv shook her head. "No and I wouldn't care about that." She appreciated a finely made male but didn't use handsomeness as a measure of worth. "Wally is the definition of a stuffed shirt. He's very tied to protocol and maintaining strict standards." She paused a moment then opted for total honesty. "I'm not cut out for prim and proper trappings. I hate them. And I won't let anyone tame my spirit." She'd done Wallace Windsor a favor by rejecting him.

Hue's gaze drifted toward the window. "I know how you feel. I'm tied to protocol and strict standards. And protocol demands I marry and produce an heir before I can travel the lands outside of Kendara." His voice took on a dejected tone.

Vivian laced her fingers with his. "And that limitation chafes, doesn't it?" She definitely understood the dilemma.

Hue nodded then leaned in closer. "What if my perfect mate is out among the world? My dad met my mom while visiting an ally's court." He sighed. "Then the dragon wars started and travel for heirs became restricted." He frowned. "I don't want to settle until I've had the opportunity to explore the world outside of Kendara."

The statement crushed Viv a little, but she got it. "You want what your parents had. Which means you don't want to acquire a mistress on one of your journeys and have to tuck her away somewhere because you're in a loveless marriage." Right now, the reminder sucked the wind from Viv's sails.

And she had a quandary. She'd give about anything to have Hue notice her or want her. Maybe if she planted a hint…

Viv finished her mug of ale and used the liquid courage to tug Hue forward and mesh their lips together. She only lingered a moment, enough to show the embrace to be more than a friendly peck but not long enough to suggest something seductive. Getting too familiar would only tangle her heart into knots.

She eased away and brushed her thumb over his lower lip. "I understand your frustration and I hope you find exactly what you're looking for."

Even if it couldn't be her.

Hue blinked and shook his head a little. "I hope so, too." He gave her a lopsided smile.

Viv pushed away from the table. "We should probably head back before nightfall. My guess is we'll meet the guard on the way if we don't."

Hue barked out a laugh and got to his feet. "No doubt you're right." He crooked his elbow and tucked her hand around it again. "Thank you for the delightful diversion today."

Vivian inclined her head. "You're quite welcome." Plan number one down.

She couldn't wait to spring her next idea on him.

I have so much love for this story. Hue and Vivian are a fun couple and they're easy to write.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment