Sunday, July 2, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Urban Grit

Welcome July! The month that my doggos hate with the intensity of a thousand suns. And we actually got an early start on the fireworks this year … about mid-June or at least the last two weekends. Personally, I love a good fireworks show. The dogs really don't. They get antsy and want to go outside but hate it outside because of the loud crackle and booms. It's exhausting.

Had a good week with work. Finished up two projects and made way to get started on a new one. I'm hoping to slide in some extra freelance work this month because I'm in between two developmental edits at the moment and could use something to keep my busy.

Also had a bit of a scare with my dad. He ended up in the hospital for a few days but he's doing well.

Not a bad week for television. I'm really angry I didn't get to watch Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies before Paramount yanked it. It angers me that studios can pull whatever they want to write off for tax purposes. I'd love to be able to do that on a personal level.

I finished up the ninth season of Brokenwood Mysteries. Actually loved the episode. This is such a comfort watch for me. Looking forward to starting Cannes Confidential this week, especially since one of my favorite actors is involved.

Caught another episode of Madame Blanc Mysteries and enjoyed the mystery. Not sure I'm excited about having the creepy woman back but I'll reserve judgment on that one. I love the cast of characters in this show.

Finished up the second part of Silent Witness and the episode definitely took a turn I didn't expect. I like it when that happens!

Enjoyed another episode of Death in Paradise. I'd seen most of this one before and I'm glad I got to watch the whole episode. I'm loving this show.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with "Flight of the Phoenix." This one had so much going on and it was all spectacular. The pilot interaction ended up being my favorite thing, as usual. But lots of good stuff overall.

Started the second season of Fantasy Island. I'm about halfway through the episode and enjoying it so far. I'm definitely here for Raphael and Elena interactions!

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Urban Grit, a novella about a couple that drags their friends into a dangerous situation then have to solve the problem.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Keeley Fitz and Holt Matterworth produce and star in the reality docu-style web drama, Urban Grit. They shamelessly drag their friends along on their adventures where they try to bust and debunk urban myths … except they quickly learn most legends all have a basis in truth.

And a preview snippet…

Holt stopped the SUV by the main gate and waited for Dean to get inside before pulling up the property assessments for the house and acreage. "This covers everything listed on the deed." He made the map go full screen on the tablet.

Keeley leaned closer. "So, the house is pretty much centrally located on the plotted area. What's this section behind the summer kitchen?" The small structure sat directly behind the house.

Holt glanced at the key in the lower portion of the monitor. "Looks like a cemetery, according to the symbols here." He pointed to a square going around the bordered off area. "It's surrounded by shrubbery and has an iron gate if this picture is accurate." The image had a date about ten years old on it.

Dean frowned. "There are two more outbuildings on the east side of the property and three in the northwest corner. That's a lot of ground to cover."

Holt gave a nod. "We should maybe start here." He pointed to the far side of the grounds that butted up against the neighbor's boundary line.

Dean cocked his head. "Why not go through the main gate?" He fidgeted, his impatience rolling off him in waves.

Holt countered. "The hound might be guarding the entrance. And we can't see it, so I'd rather start from the back and work through those areas first." He didn't like not having a clue about where to begin.

Dean grunted. "Good point. Rear of the property we go." He started to pop the door open.

Keeley put up a hand. "Hold up. Let's start with the cemetery. It's out in the open and we'll have more room to maneuver." She dug through the duffel bag at her feet and brought out three bags of salt. "If we get trapped or chased, the salt should neutralize the hellhound and keep him from coming after us." She handed two of the bags over and kept one for herself.

Holt didn't roll his eyes, but he doubted the salt would offer much in the way of protection. "Look, there's a lane that goes along the east side of the property. Let's drive as far as we can then cut through the trees toward the cemetery on foot."

Keeley and Dean settled back, and Holt started the engine again. He carefully maneuvered the SUV over the jutted track and finally came to a stop about two-thirds of the way down the trail. A fallen tree blocked the rest of the path.

Dean scrambled out of the vehicle. "This might be good. According to the assessor's marks, if we cut through here, the cemetery should be in our sights." He started toward the tree line.

Keeley met Holt's gaze. "Let him take the lead. We'll back him up." She started forward, hefting the bag of salt under one arm.

"Hey! I see someone. It's gotta be Joanie." Dean started off a run.

Keeley quickly caught him. "Slow down. I know you want to find out if it's her, but if you run and the hound isn't at the front gate, it'll give chase." She sent Holt a pleading glance.

Holt lifted his chin. "She's right. Let's take our time and listen for anything prowling around on the way. If it's Joanie, she needs us to get there in one piece."

Dean huffed out a breath. "Fine. You're right. Let's go." He started forward again at a slower pace.

Holt kept his ears tuned to any odd sounds. When they approached the hedge line, the gnarled branches were so overgrown he didn't think they'd get through. But Keeley found a small opening and motioned for them.

She held some branches back. "We should fit through here. You guys go first and I'll hold the branches back." She made a bigger hole.

Dean ducked through and Holt quickly followed. Keeley turned and backed through then let go of the swath she held. Turning, her eyes went wide, and she nodded toward the figure waving their hands up and down.

Dean's lips curved. "It's her! I'd recognize that monstrosity of a coat anywhere." He started forward but paused. "Go slow. Don't run."

Keeley nudged Holt with her shoulder. "He's getting it." She followed behind.

Holt brought up the rear still listening for the sounds of growling or running footsteps … or paws as the case might be.

Joanie called out when they got closer. "You're okay. The hound is prowling outside the gate over there." She pointed to the rusted barrier.

Dean swept her up. "Are you okay? Did it hurt you?" He set her down and started checking her over.

Joanie shook her head. "No, once it tore the door off the freezer, I kind of held my ground while it circled me. It came toward me, snarling and snapping but stopped when I put my hands down." She shuddered a little. "Then it got behind me and nudged me out of the freezer and kept pushing me until we got here. I started for the house, but it growled and started butting its head against me again until I finally figured out where it wanted me to go." She held up her phone. "There's a lot of information about hellhounds on the web. I'm pretty sure it won't let me leave the property. But I do think we might be able to get to the house."

Holt shook his head. "That's a terrible idea. We should get the hell out of Dodge and as far away from her as we can." He raked a hand over his head. "There has to be something better than going back to the house."

Dean whirled around. "Tough shit. We're going there. I won't put Joanie in any more danger." He wrapped an arm around her.

Holt frowned. "Look, there's a cabin about ten miles away that's secluded and should be safe." He didn't think sticking around with a ravaging beast would be a good plan.

Joanie gave a quick shake of her head. "I'd rather not chance having the hellhound follow us there and hurt innocent people." She tucked her injured hand in her pocket.

Keeley agreed. "They're right, Holt. We can at least poke around in the house and set up for a few days to figure things out. We've got our gear and we can take turns making runs for supplies if we need them."

Holt made a low growl. "Fine. But this is a shit plan." He tore the bag of salt open. "Get your bags open, put Joanie between you two, and let's make a break for it." He led the group, pouring a trail of the white crystals on the way.

Longer than usual peek but I'm happy with how this turned out.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment