Sunday, July 30, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Veering Off Course

Whew! Busy week, which I love. My youngest kidlet got engaged last weekend and we've been riding that wave of excitement this week.

Finished up one work project and got another new one. It's a mystery and I love those! Also plugging along with an ongoing LitRPG manuscript that's also a sci-fi/fantasy mash-up. I love the series!

Had an okay week of television viewing. I didn't get through as much as I thought I would but I'm cool with that.

I finished up the episode of Peak Practice and enjoyed it. I've got two episodes left and I'm bracing for impact because I know what's coming.

Caught the second part of Silent Witness and I'm happy to say I figured out the real culprit. It took some really twisty turns and I'm pretty sure there might have been a dangling plot thread but, honestly, a great episode.

Enjoyed another episode of Death in Paradise. I'm almost finished with the first season, and it's been terrific seeing the series in chronological order. Can't wait to start the next season.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with "Epiphanies." I'd forgotten how much this episode set up for the following seasons. And I'm always blown away by how incredibly good James Callis is the role of Baltar.

I also caught another episode of Fantasy Island. Really enjoyed this one. I'm very, very cautiously optimistic with the Javier and Elena storyline. I'm going to be so disappointed if it ends up being trashed for the sake of angst.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Veering Off Course, a novella that separates a couple just when they're close to having a future.

Here's the miniblurb:

Raine Shippley tends to go her own way, always veering off course. When her true path is revealed, Dalton Tucker thinks they'll finally have a chance, but Raine disappears and he's left to follow the trail alone … or so he thinks.

And a preview snippet…

Raine brought a mug of coffee into Dalton's study. "Any luck with the research?" Considering he hadn't had much sleep while keeping her under, she didn't know how his eyes weren't crossing while reading.

Dalton hid a yawn and accepted the cup. "Well, one name keeps coming up. But I'd like to do a little more sleuthing before I get your hopes up." He settled in a chair by the fire.

Raine dropped down in the matching wingback. "Gonna be hard to raise them anyway." She met his gaze. "But I appreciate the caution." Turning her attention to the flickering flames, she zoned out while Dalton sipped his hot java.

She startled when Dalton draped a soft throw over her.

He smiled and returned to his chair, picking up an open notebook. "You looked chilly." He flipped a page over.

She snuggled into the blanket. "I think I was. Sorry I fell asleep again." The lethargy drover her mad.

Dalton shrugged. "You need the rest. And it gave me time to do some more research." He turned toward her. "I think I found someone who might be able to help you."

She arched a brow. "The name that keeps popping up?"

He nodded. "Faeryn Carnes. She survived entering the shroud and returning. I'd think the experience would give her extra insight about the inner workings of elementals." His finger traced over the name on the paper.

Raine leaned forward. "Do you know her? As in, have you ever met her?" Strangers could be squicked out by multiple wielders.

Hell, friends and acquaintances got freaked out around Raine.

Dalton shook his head. "Not personally. But I've got her contact information and, if you're willing, I can see if she'll meet with us." He nodded toward his phone.

Raine lifted her chin. "Yeah. I mean, at this point, what can it hurt? The worst that can happen is she says no." She turned her attention back to the flames.

Dalton got up and moved into the kitchen to make the call.

Raine stared at the flickering orange and yellow of the snapping and popping wood in the grate. Her mind drifted and the fire dimmed then flared. She didn't consciously make the alteration. The element picked up on her mood and acted accordingly.

Clearing the cobwebs of slumber from her brain, she focused her gaze on the hearth and followed the dancing dips and dives of the tendrils drifting up toward the chimney flue. Her vision blurred and a vivid image filled her mind.

She stood in the center of a pentagram with four points soaked in elemental magick with a shroud for each—earth, air, water, and fire. The fifth point, the top of the star, swirled with shadows and cloaked itself in darkness. The final part represented her. The self. The blackness would remain until she got a handle on her abilities.

The vision shifted and four caricatures branched off from the center and made their way to each elemental shroud. Then, one by one, they merged and moved to the fifth, hidden point. No one else entered the picture. Only she could make this happen, and she had to follow her true path.

Her head snapped up. "I have to walk alone." Her heart sank … because leaving Dalton behind wouldn't be easy.

If she chose to follow the vision…

Dalton popped back into the room. "Faeryn wants to meet you. If you're up for it, she'd like you to stop by today." He pocketed his phone and arched his brows.

Raine got up and folded the blanket. "Let's go. You don't mind coming with me, do you?" She'd meet with Faeryn alone but hoped Dalton would at least be there for moral support.

A smile quirked his lips. "Nope. She's about an hour north of us. Maybe we can stop for something to eat on our way back." He waggled his eyebrows with the suggestion of food.

Raine grinned. "Pretty sure that's a backhanded way of saying you'd rather I didn't cook." She retrieved her jacket from the peg shelf by the door.

Dalton gave her an innocent look. "I would never imply anything of the sort." He chuckled. "But I will say it outright." He breezed past her and started down the sidewalk.

Raine laughed. Because she did suck at making meals. And not because she couldn't control her abilities … she truly didn't enjoy cooking.

She sobered on her way to the car. She loved Dalton for bringing some humor to the day. But she also dreaded what the conversation with Faeryn might reveal…

I'm happy with how this story is coming together. It's also great to revisit Faeryn.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment