Sunday, December 3, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Behind the Line (a Night Raven Banner novella)

Not sure I'm ready for December. The last few months have really flown by, and I can't seem to keep up. I must be getting old. Or life is coming at me fast and that's why I'm struggling to stay in the moment.

And because I'm failing at staying in the moment, I started a daily post for self-care on Instagram and Blue Sky. Each day I'm going to post something that I do just for me to help me shed stress and enjoy a few minutes of me time.

To that end, I might be including some television shows, so keep an eye out for a few specials that aren't in my normal rotation.

I did get two episodes of My Life Is Murder in this week. I'm a little puzzled by the change in location from Australia to New Zealand, but I'm running with it for now.

I also finished up the bonus episodes from Agatha Raisin season two and caught the premiere of season three. I kind of miss Gemma but Toni is a lot of fun.

Watched two episodes of Silent Witness. Hard to say goodbye to Thomas and it's weird to not see Clarissa at the Lyell anymore. I do like the new vibe Jack and Nikki have. Looking forward to seeing if they add any new cast members.

Also enjoyed two episodes of Death in Paradise. Camille left for Paris and Humph is working through the new dynamic. I really enjoy this show and I'm so glad I can see it in chronological order.

Finished Only Murders in the Building and I did get the villains right. Excellent third season and I'm excited about season four because who saw that one coming with the new victim?

Caught another episode of The Batman and enjoyed it. The dynamic between Bruce and Alfred is a lot of fun.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. The two vignettes are ones I remembered and enjoyed the first time around. I love it when the parents truly have no idea what's going on.

Enjoyed another episode of VIP. The over-the-top villains are always entertaining. I truly miss that sometimes.

Also watched another episode of Peak Practice. Once again, I'm not interested at all in one of the storylines, but I do love the two new cast members and what's going on with them.

And that's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Behind the Line, an Under the Night Raven Banner novella.

Here's the miniblurb:

Emory Cavendish is trapped behind enemy lines and Verity Jones mounts a rescue mission, thinking she won't get much help. Surprise doesn't express her emotion when every other pilot jockeys for a spot on the team to save Emory. Their hard-won acceptance fills Verity with confidence and gratitude. She'll need their full support to bring Emory home.

And a preview snippet…

Verity stuck her hand out from under the plane. "Can you hand me the wrench?"

Percy Longfellow placed a metal object in her palm.

Verity started to raise the tool up to tighten a bolt then rolled her eyes. "A wrench, Longfellow, not a vice grip." She slid out a little. "The silver object with the hexagon-shaped opening." Her lips twitched.

Percy shrugged. "There's a reason I only fly these things." He found the correct tool and gave it to her.

She rolled back under the plane and tightened the bolt then moved her fingers along the cable to make sure it held tightly. Satisfied, she started to move over to the next area.

A pilot came running into the hangar. "Jones! We made contact." He paused, bending over at the waist and dragging air into his lungs.

Verity slid out from under the plane again. "With the resistance?" That would be excellent news.

The pilot straightened and shook his head. "No, with Cavendish."

She dropped the wrench, her mouth hanging open. "You're not joking, are you?" Holy shit!

She scrambled to her feet and put the wrench away, the ingrained lessons from her dad never forgotten.

Percy stilled her hands. "Go, Verity. No one would joke about that." He nudged her toward the door. "I'll take care of putting your tools away."

She went, her head filled with wonder, fear, and … love. Ducking into the communications shed, she put the headset on. "Night Raven base to Cavendish, over." The radio crackled and squawked, and she made an adjustment to the frequency. "Emory, is everything okay?" Dragging in a shuddering breath, she bounced her knee with impatience.

Emory's voice came through the headset. "It's all good here."

Sinking with relief, Verity started peppering him with questions. "How? How did you manage to make contact?" He'd never risk something not secure.

Emory chuckled. "I think I'm working with some of your long-lost family members. Their ingenuity reminds me of you." Another burst of static followed his statement.

She smiled, so damned happy she could burst. "It's so good to hear your voice."

Emory concurred. "Same. I found the beacon and managed to make sure it worked. I'm assuming you know my location?"

Verity nodded. "We know the plane's location. Yours, we're a little iffy on."

Emory responded. "I'm at a farmhouse. It's about three clicks from the plane."

Now it would be so much easier to launch their retrieval operation.

Verity looked at the map on the wall. "This is good. We're coming to get you, Emory. Probably within two to three days now that we have your exact location." A tap on her shoulder from Worthington had her making a hasty farewell. "Hang tight. I'll see you soon." She handed the headset to the CO. "I'm sorry for the breach in protocol, sir."

Worthington's lips curved. "We can let it slide this time, Jones. Be ready for a briefing first thing in the morning."

Verity lifted her chin. "Yes, sir." She practically danced out of the comm shed while Worthington spoke to his CAG. "Not long now, Emory. I'll have you back soon."

I have so much love for this series. I think everything is finally coming together and I'm having so much fun writing these characters.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment