Sunday, December 10, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Belle of the Underground (a First Breed Nation novella)

I'm having a weird month so far. I'm doing well with posting daily relaxation, stress reducer things to avoid becoming the Scrinch (Scrooge and the Gringe combined), yet I'm also feeling kind of down, which is not the norm for me. I'm thinking a happy medium might be the best I'll do this year and I'm okay with that.

Had a week of busywork projects, which ended up being kind of fun. I like jumping around and moving back and forth between jobs. Keeps me on my toes and paying attention.

Had a solid week of television. A lot of what I worked on this week let me have background noise and I got a lot of shows watched!

I started with the first sixtieth anniversary special for Doctor Who. Thoroughly enjoyed having Ten and Donna back together. Looking forward to the second special this week.

Trying out a new to me show with Elementary. Watched the first two episodes and I like it so far. I didn't watch at all when it originally aired and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this show.

Caught two episodes of The Batman and should be semi-close to the end of season one. Looking forward to more of this one.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. Liked both and loved the play on vintage TV shows the ghost stories episode had.

Watched two episodes of VIP and remembered one from the original airing of the show. Lots of fun with the ice bullets before they were really a thing.

Caught another episode of My Life Is Murder and ended up liking it a lot. The drag queen setting was fun and the snark fest between Alexa and the manager deserves a chef's kiss.

Enjoyed another Agatha Raisin episode. It's the first of a two-parter so I'm excited to see what happens next. Very fun to watch Agatha and James navigate living together.

Finished the second half of a two-part Silent Witness. Actually liked how this one played out. It's cool to revisit old cases and the one they went back to ended up being an important one.

Caught another Death in Paradise episode. I'm enjoying Florence and Humph working together. And I'm fond of the JP and Dwayne dynamic.

Also started a new Passionflix series with The Secret Life of Amy Benson. Got the first episode in and I'm intrigued so far. Looking forward to seeing how the two seasons play out.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Belle of the Underground, a novella that launches the First Breed Nation series.

Here's the miniblurb:

Raven Malone doesn't have an easy job, but she's a mix of freak and geek so both groups are willing to work with her. She meets her match when regular guy, Gio Roberts, starts poking around in her cover up of an unexplained murder. Sparks fly, especially when she lets him in on the underground community she's established. They forge a bond and work side by side, trying to keep everything together

And a preview snippet…

Flushing slightly because she'd completely understood his meaning, Gio quickened his step until he reached her side. "What did this used to be? Aside from the subway part. I got that much." He stuck close to her as she led him out and across an old, unfinished tunnel then up into another area.

Raven leaned against the wall, propping one foot behind her on the smooth surface. "From what we can tell, the area we're getting ready to head into was once a subsection of an old hospital. Long abandoned."

"How long have you been down here?"

She punched in a series of numbers and the door slid open. "We've been gathering down here for as long as anyone can remember. The more modern aspects have all occurred in the last five years." She entered the area and he followed, stunned at the sight greeting his eyes.

"What the hell?" He'd been expecting something dank and dusty. This was far from it.

Raven chuckled. "I know. It's rather amazing."

They stood in the middle of a lab, a pretty well set up one.

"There's a clinic through the big doors over there." Raven pointed to the east. "And we have a containment center through the ones along the back wall."

"Containment center?"

"Nothing big, but it's where I hope to hold the one responsible for the killings."  

Gio shot her a skeptical glance. "What exactly do you think you can do down here that can't be done up there?" He pointed toward the city above them.

"Trust me when I say it'll be better if you let us handle it." She wound her way around the equipment to make her way to a large board hanging in the middle of the room. "The cops upstairs will never be able to bring this person in and make a case."

Gio made his way to her location and stood across the table from her. "Look, you can't handle this. The justice system isn't perfect, but it works." He placed his elbows on the table and leaned toward her. "The victims' families need justice and closure. You can't act as judge and jury. Unless someone put you in charge up there and I missed it."  

Raven snorted. "First, we're talking about down here. And yes, I am the one in charge. You might say I'm the HBIC … and if you knew the whole story, you'd understand exactly how true that statement is. Second, if your system could deal with this, I'd let it. Believe me when I say it's hundreds of times easier."

He considered her words. "Then why don't you let it?" He had a very strong feeling he wouldn't like her answer.

She crooked her finger at him. "C'mere. I'll show you." With a flourish she tugged a white drape off the board hanging above the table.

Gio is so much fun to write. He already walks a fine line and after meeting Raven the line is stretched even tighter.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment